Fear The Walking Dead-episode 1

Ryujin

Legend
It also could be that we're over-competent. I'm pretty sure I'm not as smart as Umbran, and I know I am as smart as my wife. But in a crisis, like a car accident, my wife will do the stupidest things, whereas I am doing the things that need doing like turning on hazards, checking for injuries, clearing out of traffic, taking pictures and getting license/insurance info and not claiming responsibility for an accident that was the other guy's fault because he was going the wrong way in a parking lot.

Even in a panic like jumping off a boat into water that is 2 inches deeper than I am tall, I manage to flail and jump in a useful direction toward a friend who can tow me closer to the shallows (true story, can't swim, and life vest wasn't as floaty as we thought).

I'm sure my combat skills are only effective against people who suck, but my general reaction to trouble and problem solving skills are top notch. I don't screw up in ways that matter in a crisis. Thus, watching people "do the dumbful" is like listening to my wife's latest fender bender and finding all the things she did wrong. Painful.

Maybe. I know from experience that in motorcycle crash I'll check to make sure that I'm done sliding before trying to get up (seriously, that's a thing), check for traffic in both directions on a highway, Do a quick injury assessment, and run off the highway in a safe direction all automatically, almost before anyone knows that I'm down. I'm not convinced that's it though.

A lot of the stuff that sets me off in those shows isn't that sort of immediate crisis management. It's more long term; things that should become habit, or be general life skills. OK, so you don't know what a "zombie apocalypse" is. You do sure as hell know what a disease outbreak or random rioting are. Admittedly there were stupid people who went to gawk at the Poll Tax or G20 riots. In a ZA they aren't the people that you would follow in a story though, because they wouldn't last through the halfway point of episode 1.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Never underestimate stupid. The problem that I have with the characters, no common sense and a lack of learning for self survival. Sure, they are all in denial and think all will fix itself but they have yet to think anything through.

What they should know by now:
  • Infection rate - how many kids were out of school, just doing a head count on their block.
  • What happens to the infected and the dead - they have seen it more than once.
  • What the dead want to do to them - they have seen it more than once.
What they should be getting from the above:
  • That they are out numbered anywhere from 6 up to 9 to 1. Odds are this has not sunk in yet but it should be.
  • There is not enough uninfected to support the world they lived in. Odds are this has not sunk in yet.
  • They need to stay away or hit the dead in the head. They just have to build up the nerve for this.
  • Know what the rules for Marshall Law are.

Never underestimate stupid. The problem that I have with the characters, no common sense and a lack of learning for self survival. Sure, they are all in denial and think all will fix itself but they have yet to think anything through.

What they should know by now:
  • Infection rate - how many kids were out of school, just doing a head count on their block.
  • What happens to the infected and the dead - they have seen it more than once.
  • What the dead want to do to them - they have seen it more than once.
Do you count how many of your coworkers are out sick? If there's a bug going around,i'm not gonna go door to door,are you?
All they know is that this "flu" turns people very violent and unable to register normal pain
Btw Nick who is a druggie even said that Susen ( the neighbor) is dead,but are you honestly going to believe a druggie?

it's made apparent that the average person actually knows very little about any of this. Nick points out that the news isn't talking about what's happening at all. Any violence is written off (or actively covered up) as isolated incidents or just a general rise in crime, disappearances are ascribed to flu keeping people home, and the freeway shooting is just believed to be a freak occurrence, and other police shootings are interpreted as police being trigger-happy. It's also pointed out that, because it's so soon after the freeway shooting, anyone who was busy at work or isn't a big social media user simply might not have heard about the incident, except maybe in passing. Hearing that there was a violent shooting in LA wouldn't be nearly enough to make the average person think anything is wrong or stop going about their lives, or cancel an already planned birthday party.

And if it makes you feel any better Tobias was smart enough to figure out everything from the get go......

Ryujin

Legend
Do you count how many of your coworkers are out sick? If there's a bug going around,i'm not gonna go door to door,are you?
All they know is that this "flu" turns people very violent and unable to register normal pain
Btw Nick who is a druggie even said that Susen ( the neighbor) is dead,but are you honestly going to believe a druggie?

it's made apparent that the average person actually knows very little about any of this. Nick points out that the news isn't talking about what's happening at all. Any violence is written off (or actively covered up) as isolated incidents or just a general rise in crime, disappearances are ascribed to flu keeping people home, and the freeway shooting is just believed to be a freak occurrence, and other police shootings are interpreted as police being trigger-happy. It's also pointed out that, because it's so soon after the freeway shooting, anyone who was busy at work or isn't a big social media user simply might not have heard about the incident, except maybe in passing. Hearing that there was a violent shooting in LA wouldn't be nearly enough to make the average person think anything is wrong or stop going about their lives, or cancel an already planned birthday party.

And if it makes you feel any better Tobias was smart enough to figure out everything from the get go......

Without hearing it on social media, today, I found out that three schools near my home were on lock-down for police investigation, that a stolen car was boxed in and filled full of holes by Police, and that two people turned themselves in to police in relation to a recent stabbing. Toronto isn't as big a city but then again our news cycle isn't as hungry, nor does every TV station have a helicopter here.

cmad1977

Hero
I'm not huge on the show but... It seem to me that the characters aren't trying to survive. They aren't trying because subconsciously they 'know' this is temporary. Thus they make decisions not based upon survival in a hopeless situation, but on getting through a difficult/traumatic one.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
2015 Sep 20 - Best episode of the show to be aired yet, at least more interesting than others BUT only two shows left in the season!!! Waste.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Anybody else notice there were no walking dead in last night's episode of "Fear the Walking Dead"?

Johnathan
yes, think they have created a dead zone for protection, killing anything around their poorly defended post. The horde / swarm of dead are still in the city (finishing off any leftovers) and have yet to start moving. Once those 5 to 9 million zombies start to move, it is over.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases