I gotta ask: the "laugh" points, are they meant as appreciation or as mockery??

CapnZapp

Legend
Perhaps I'm just way late to the party, but anyhoo

lwtp.png

Kudos for this change (laugh with instead of laugh at) :)

CapnZapp

Legend
I can provide examples of a poster clearly using the Laugh button as a "laugh at" bullying tactic instead of the "laugh with" behavior as intended.

I will not name any names here and now (preferring to report the posts to the mod team) - this post is meant to restart the discussion.

Yes, this happens, and yes, it is IMHO a problem.

ccs

41st lv DM
I can provide examples of a poster clearly using the Laugh button as a "laugh at" bullying tactic instead of the "laugh with" behavior as intended.

I will not name any names here and now (preferring to report the posts to the mod team) - this post is meant to restart the discussion.

Yes, this happens, and yes, it is IMHO a problem.

Didn't you already try & beat this dead horse fairly recently?

I seem to recall it boiling down to:
1) No matter your intent behind whatever you post, you don't have any control over what others find funny.
2) BUT, if you have a problem, report it.
3) Maybe you just need a thicker skin.

CapnZapp

Legend
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: this issue doesn't go away.

I'm going to report a series of my own posts where a user clicks laugh (yes, I know the button is called "laugh with this post") even though my remarks are not in any sense made with humor in mind.

In short, I find it impossible to interpret this as anything else than mockery.

I am writing this post because I know you are busy and might have a mod handle the reporting, so you might not even see the series of reported posts. (I need to post this first so I can include a link in my reports for your moderation convenience)

If you or your mods redtext the user to stop abusing the laugh functionality all is well in the world. But I am ressurrecting this thread to clearly flag that it is not a new issue, and it remains a serious one. I've gotten dozens of laugh points I could have done well without, and I feel that if I do not bring thus back up to your attention it will never stop. I can't be alone in getting these points that only burn.

If you can't or won't moderate this behavior, please consider disabling laugh points - systemwide. (Please do not suggest I should disable the xp system for my own account - I am sure you realize that would amount to punishing the bully victim - "since you can't handle getting laughed at, maybe you don't deserve any xp at all")

Thank you for reading. I remain hopeful you will take action against this kind of behavior.

Regards,
Zapp

ccs

41st lv DM

I'm going to report a series of my own posts where a user clicks laugh (yes, I know the button is called "laugh with this post") even though my remarks are not in any sense made with humor in mind.

I am writing this post because I know you are busy and might have a mod handle the reporting, so you might not even see the series of reported posts. (I need to post this first so I can include a link in my reports for your moderation convenience)

If you or your mods redtext the user to stop abusing the laugh functionality all is well in the world. But I am ressurrecting this thread to clearly flag that it is not a new issue, and it remains a serious one. I've gotten dozens of laugh points I could have done well without, and I feel that if I do not bring thus back up to your attention it will never stop. I can't be alone in getting these points that only burn.

If you can't or won't moderate this behavior, please consider disabling laugh points - systemwide. (Please do not suggest I should disable the xp system for my own account - I am sure you realize that would amount to punishing the bully victim - "since you can't handle getting laughed at, maybe you don't deserve any xp at all")

Thank you for reading. I remain hopeful you will take action against this kind of behavior.

Regards,
Zapp

You can tell it's April....
Look, there's a simple solution for you that doesn't involve punishing everyone else by removing the laugh system.
Why don't you just block those you think are laughing at you & be done with it?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Regards,
Zapp

There's a bunch of privacy options available to you. Disabling it on your own account is not a punishment, but if that option doesn't work for you the block feature sounds like a perfect solution.

Nagol

Unimportant
There's a bunch of privacy options available to you. Disabling it on your own account is not a punishment, but if that option doesn't work for you the block feature sounds like a perfect solution.

As someone who has disabled xp, it doesn't do what you and [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] are implying it does. All the disablement does is limit total reporting on posts I make. Users can still give both xp and laughs to accounts with xp disabled.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm getting really disappointed in your reply Morrus.

Why should I have to block transgressors? How does that help others? Why aren't people that abuse features getting sanctioned?

I've brought this up several times, but I'm getting dismissed every time. Why aren't you taking this seriously?

My goal here isn't to nail any user. My goal here is to convince you the Laugh points can and are abused. If you can't or won't make any technical changes (which I can understand) then redtext transgressors so the system works as intended. I'm not even convinced they realize they're doing anything wrong. With no moderation and no specific mention in the rules, how can they?

I'm happy for the overwhelming majority of laugh points I get. But the system is abusable, it is abused, and it is time for it to end. Only you can do that, which I'd why we're having this conversation.

Z

Last edited:

Remove ads