D&D 5E Whimsy in your game?

Whimsy in the Underdark?

• I like it!

Votes: 249 57.4%
  • I don't really have a strong opinion on it.

Votes: 97 22.4%
  • I dislike it!

Votes: 88 20.3%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just a quick poll. By now, you've probably seen some of the Alice in Wonderland inspired whimsical elements of Out of the Abyss, as contrasted with the darker demon lord stuff in the adventure.

I like it - a lot. I've seen a couple of people declare extreme dislike of it. At least as much as we've seen, which isn't much. So here's the question:

What's your opinion on mixing whimsy like this with a darker themed setting like the Underdark?

whimsy.jpg

Last edited:

Azurewraith

Explorer
I dislike it mostly because i feel the Underdark is a serious place for serious business i mean it was created by a god on a rampage and is inhabited by some of the cruelest critters in the dnd universe not to mention mind flayers no whimsy there not even if you gave it a monocle a bubble blowing pipe and a pink waist coat. That and im not a big fan of whimsy in general.

delericho

Legend
What's your opinion on mixing whimsy like this with a darker themed setting like the Underdark?

Ask me when I've had a chance to read the thing.

I'm glad they're trying something new. The previews look very interesting. But there are a great many ways this could be done, 90% of which would suck. Hopefully, we'll get one of the 10% that doesn't, or even better one of the 1% that is truly great. But we won't know either way for six weeks or so.

As for whimsy more generally, it's no bad thing. Meepo was probably the single most recognisable character to come out of 3e, and the Pathfinder Goblins have been exceptionally well received, so I say go for it.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I like it.

Personally I see only 3 personalities working in the Underdark

Dark and Spicy
Harsh and Sour
Sweet and Strong

The Underdark is so crazy and dark, some will crack. Many will crack. Arkham Asylum rejects are bound to show up. Especially when violent pleasure fiends like D&D demons start appearing. The Underdark is just a giant Gotham City in my head.

Zardnaar

Legend
I am fine with whimsy (Spelljammer) but not in the underdark/demon type setting. The names are just out right stupid iot like some of the stuff from RA Salvatore novels in the 90's (Doodads).

Azurewraith

Explorer
The Underdark is so crazy and dark, some will crack. Many will crack. Arkham Asylum rejects are bound to show up. Especially when violent pleasure fiends like D&D demons start appearing. The Underdark is just a giant Gotham City in my head.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?467607-Whimsy-in-your-game#ixzz3k6fiwl64

Oh i agree with this but i would rather see criminally insane crazy or perhaps a guy who has a pet rock that will claw your eyes out for looking at thinking you are trying to steal it not some stunted mushroom that wants to blend minds unless it turns out hes working for a demon and is really implanting horrific visions of the end of the world then id be cool.

Sorry i just like my DnD to be gritty and dark but that's just me i guess

JeffB

Legend
Generally dont like it. I find most gamer humor/whimsy un-funny. Unless we are talking old comic strips like phil and dixie, or wormy.

In addition, I think its an all or nothing thing for me. If an adventure is supposed to be silly, then lets do it all the way.. but addding silly bits to a "serious" adventure just puts me off.. I ran the opening scene to burnt offerings several months converted to 5e. I played up the whimsical elements of the goblins and it did not go over well at all for me or the group.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Oh i agree with this but i would rather see criminally insane crazy or perhaps a guy who has a pet rock that will claw your eyes out for looking at thinking you are trying to steal it not some stunted mushroom that wants to blend minds unless it turns out hes working for a demon and is really implanting horrific visions of the end of the world then id be cool.

Sorry i just like my DnD to be gritty and dark but that's just me i guess

Nothing says you can't be dark and whimsical.

The Joker is a monster clown but he's still both a monster and a clown. He still is using gags and comedy, it's just lethal. And he'll shoot you in the face for messing up the joke. Or not.
The solution to the Riddler's riddle still has a deadly bomb attached to it.
A Pudding King makes total sense down there to mr. Especially if he's willing to sic the oozes on people on a.. whim.

But that's just me. I like my monsters illogical. It validates their strange behavior without handwaving.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases