[Rant] The Hobbit Movies are an Abomination

MarkB

Legend
I didn't see the third film at the cinema, but finally caught up with it a couple of weeks ago after it showed up on Netflix. I shouldn't have bothered.

I will say that the one redeeming feature of the Hobbit movies is, well, the Hobbit. Even in the third film, Martin Freeman's performance shines through the dross, and his scenes are a pleasure to watch.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
There some bright spots, I agree, particularly Martin Freeman. But overall - I have yet to bring myself to watch any of the Hobbit trilogy, other than the first one, more than once. They were a tremendous disappointment, though not an unexpected one.

I'd rather watch Meet the Feebles.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Think the George Lucas reason can apply here:

“You go to make a movie and all you do is get criticized,” Lucas told Vanity Fair when prompted about why he left the series. “And it’s not much fun. You can’t experiment.”

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, if Lucas is such a wussy, he'd really better stop doing anything that might be observed by the public. It's okay to experiment, but as the experimenter you have to realize that it's in the nature of an experiment that it might go wrong. Having recently re-watched Episode I to III, I'm also not sure what of it he believes to have been experimental. Perhaps the cringe-worthy 'romantic' scenes in Episode II? *yuck!*

delericho

Legend
Peter Jackson pretty much admits he didn't have a script and didn't know what to do with the Hobbit films. http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/9764016/peter-jackson-the-hobbit-movies-terrible-explanation

That explains an awful lot.

“You go to make a movie and all you do is get criticized,” Lucas told Vanity Fair when prompted about why he left the series. “And it’s not much fun. You can’t experiment.”

His evidence doesn't support his conclusion - someone would need to make some good Star Wars prequels to be sure.

Ryujin

Legend

Well yeah, you do. That's why they actually have people called "critics", who watch movies and then criticize them. When you do something that is meant to be presented to the public at large they'll criticize it, both positively and negatively. If he doesn't want comment on his product, maybe he should stick to making home movies?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Ya, give me a critic that has made a movie. Sorry but people whine and complain because they can't do it themselves, bunch of backseat drivers moaners and want-to-bees if you ask me. The movies would not have made as much if they sucked, criticize as much as you want, money talks and it says these are good movies. You may not like them but there are a lot of people who seem to.

When you decide the series is bad, why go to the next release? Fool me once... :)

Last edited:

Remove ads