Star Wars: Aftermath [novel] + Shattered Empire [comics]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Tomorrow, the official novel linking old and new trilogies is released. I never read any of the EU stuff (except one book about the building of the Death Star, which I quite liked) but this seems as good a place to start as any with Star Wars novels.

51HNexIdPzL.jpg

As the Empire reels from its critical defeats at the Battle of Endor, the Rebel Alliance—now a fledgling New Republic—presses its advantage by hunting down the enemy’s scattered forces before they can regroup and retaliate. But above the remote planet Akiva, an ominous show of the enemy’s strength is unfolding. Out on a lone reconnaissance mission, pilot Wedge Antilles watches Imperial Star Destroyers gather like birds of prey circling for a kill, but he’s taken captive before he can report back to the New Republic leaders.

Meanwhile, on the planet’s surface, former rebel fighter Norra Wexley has returned to her native world—war weary, ready to reunite with her estranged son, and eager to build a new life in some distant place. But when Norra intercepts Wedge Antilles’s urgent distress call, she realizes her time as a freedom fighter is not yet over. What she doesn’t know is just how close the enemy is—or how decisive and dangerous her new mission will be.

Determined to preserve the Empire’s power, the surviving Imperial elite are converging on Akiva for a top-secret emergency summit—to consolidate their forces and rally for a counterstrike. But they haven’t reckoned on Norra and her newfound allies—her technical-genius son, a Zabrak bounty hunter, and a reprobate Imperial defector—who are prepared to do whatever they must to end the Empire’s oppressive reign once and for all.

Plus the start of Shattered Empire, a 4-part comic series set after RotJ. I expect I'll check that out, too.

Anyone else going to be getting either of these?

delericho

Legend
Alas, it's not for me. The Star Wars novels are mostly pretty poor, but given some interest because of the unfolding Expanded Universe. Now that that's all been retconned, any future novels/comics/whatever got placed firmly in the "not worth bothering with" category.

(That said, I never did bother reading "Fate of the Jedi" either, so the retcon really just confirmed an earlier decision, rather than being the direct cause of a ragequit.)

I still need to get a few books under the LEgends banner, but other than that I'm done with Star Wars books, I didn't like how they tossed all of the previous stuff out. I'll check it out from the library but that's about it unless I really like it.

Elodan

Adventurer
I plan on picking up Aftermath when it comes out in paperback. I gave up on the EU with the Yuzang Vohn (sp?) stuff.

I picked up some of the new Disney books, Rebel Dawn and Tarkin. Really liked Tarkin. Rebel Dawn was good too, although it felt a little stretched out.

Yeah, I'll pick up Aftermath.

There's some good stuff in the original EU, though. The X-wing series books are great. I also really enjoyed the "Tales from ..." series.

They steamrollered over the expanded canon once when it got inconvenient for the new films and the creativity of the directors. I see no reason why this will be different in 5 or 10 or 15 years.
When the director of the fourth or fifth stand-alone film wants to do something different or is unwilling to read through all the 15-or-so novels and dozens of TPB comics the side canon will be shoveled again.

Genius tactical son? If that novel was written by Zahn, I'd be highly interested. As it seems it is not... I guess I'll stick to re-reading the Zahn trilogy. (Which I coincidentally just did).

Anyone know where I can get an English e-Book version of the trilogy?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's still not available yet in the UK. Not till the 10th, even digital versions. That's frustrating.

Jhaelen

First Post
I only ever read one Star Wars book, and that was only because a friend kept bugging me about it and thrust it on me. Like most books based on movie or rpg licenses I'm just not that interested. There's too many good books I'd rather read first.

Remove ads