Hacking Our Own D&D

AslanC

Explorer
So after isolating that I am not happy with any one single version of D&D, my friend and I have started working on hacking together our own Fantasy Heartbreaker using D&D as the base (but not limited to just versions of D&D, CODA, True20, Saga Star Wars, Cyberpunk, etc... many influences on us). This is ultimately just for us to do, we are aware of that this won't be for everyone, or even remotely balanced, but we are having fun so far. It all started from this Youtube video I made (and continues up to Episode 4 as of this posting) and ultimately it will continue to be documented on this channel. If you have any thoughts, comments, ideas, etc... please feel free to post here or on the channel, but please let's keep it civil. Everyone has different tastes in fantasy (actually all) roleplaying games and systems and there is no bad-wrong-fun way to do it. Thanks for taking the time. (For those who were following the CODA revival thread or rpg.net, this is where we are going for now, and then we will look at CODA again once we get more practice/experience under our belts.) Cheers!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
If you want ideas, to steal rules, or to give advice, take Modos RPG for a spin.

Some differences from D&D you might like:
- Action-based combat keeps players engaged on other players' turns.
- There's no character death. Or alignment. Unless the players want it.
- Class-free character development allows full customization.
- Only one (optional) table is important: Difficulty. And it's really easy to memorize.
- NPC/monster character sheets can be made in seconds.

Alternatively, I'll offer whatever design input I can if you post in this thread. Good luck!

AslanC

Explorer
If you want ideas, to steal rules, or to give advice, take Modos RPG for a spin.

Checking it out sir!

Alternatively, I'll offer whatever design input I can if you post in this thread. Good luck!

Thanks for that, did you look at the video where I explain the 10 things I want in a fantasy game?

It's sort of the Rosetta Stone (I know, so pretentious of me) for making sure everyone is speaking from the same place.

Feel free to comment over on Youtube as well if you like.

Cheers!

AslanC

Explorer
Video 1 is why I don't want D&S anymore and then Episode 2 is what I want from a Fantasy RPG.

I've tried doing lists, but without typing out an essay on the why's of each, it gets weird. So the video is me just explaining it all.

Hope that helps.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Reposting, as long as you don't mind, and possible solutions for your system from my system:

1. Bell curve task resolution, skill over random luck.
Try using story-based outcomes instead of pass/fail outcomes. Since 3d6 takes a long time, as clearly evidenced by the Titansgrave videos, stick with rolling a d20, but alter the outcomes. If you roll 13 or lower and FAIL, or even a 1 and CRITICALLY FAIL, yeah, it can feel like random luck. But if you roll 13 or lower and get an "unfavorable" outcome, and still get to dictate what your character does, it can feel less random.

2. Non-cookie cutter classes, customizing.
Well, my game passed on classes, but includes all the elements you need to create a class-like feel. Want a fighter? Put your attribute points in Physical, your skill points in Fight and Defend, and pick some life-preserving perks. Want a wizard? Put your attribute points in Metaphysical, study your spells, and turn your staff into a Spell Implement.

3. Non-godlike levels.
For a flatter level curve, you need levels that don't award a whole lot. I went with 1 attribute point, 1 skill point, and a perk for each level.

4. Different styles and mechanics for magic, and required rolls.
Roleplaying can go a long way for this. It's the difference between the player saying "I cast Fire2" and just rolling the die, or saying "I tear another fingernail out and scream to the Fire god. which is my fire2 spell..." and then rolls.

- Perception stat.
Didn't catch which Thing this was. But it really depends on what your Stats are. Some games make them fundamental aspects of the character, others make them permanent skills. Some blend the two. I defined attributes/stats as a character's "inherent power," which skills are something that improve as a character gains knowledge or experience. If your perceptive abilities don't change a lot, make it a stat. If they do, make it a skill.

6. Step-by-step character development, highly customizable.
This gets a lot easier when your levels are flattened out, as I mentioned earlier. Also, make sure you don't have character features that are dedicated to one class only (like Magic).

7. No hit points, wound system.
I'm not a big fan of hit points either. So I tossed them out, and made damage basically count against attributes. But instead of wounds, I gave players the option of acting out wounds in exchange for boons. If you don't take the wound, you don't get the boon. I made that up.

8. Armor that reduces damage, skill-based combat system. Dodging stupid, parrying good.
I think we're seeing eye-to-eye here. I went with armor reducing damage, fight skills, a single parry skill (good for all physical defenses), and combat positioning that simulates any sort of maneuver that would reduce damage, in an abstract way.

9. Variety of races & concise system of building races.
Superficial differences don't need rules. A player should be as free to make up his race as he is height, weight, and beard-length. Just put racial abilities in the same system as all other abilities, or grant some bonus ability options that can ONLY be racial.

10. Variety of dice.
Why neglect some dice? Let's use 'em all. I use dice in a similar way to Savage Worlds: increasing sides of a die indicates increasing proficiency. As long as a character does some things well and some things poorly, the player won't have any dice collecting dust.

Celebrim

Legend
Honestly, I've played so many house ruled versions of D&D, that I feel if you haven't hacked your own D&D you just don't get it. I've seen a lot of terrible designs that just work for a particular table because for them, the ugly parts are features and not problems to exploit. It's your rules. That's the fundamental rule of D&D.

Good luck. Have fun. Happy rules smithing, breaking, and making.

AslanC

Explorer
DMMike I appreciate the information and you've done a hell of a lot of work. Unfortunately, I have assembled a team of 5 of us to work on our hack and to just turn around an abandon that wouldn't;

A) Be very nice to them
B) Achieve the goal I am setting out to do, which is hack my own D&D

I am sure you understand :)

Celebrim: Exactly! Now it's my turn!

We are using True20 as the base, adding Talents from Saga Edition Star Wars (and other hacks) and looking at various things from FHW, 5e, etc...

In the end this will be perfect for me, ymmv :)

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Don't abandon anything! I'm just tossing out ideas. Take 'em or leave 'em!

And of course, I'm promoting the shareware concept, since we're all in this together (and [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] doesn't charge for ENworld membership).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases