D&D 5E [IC] hafrogman's Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Forged Fury

First Post
Hearing the recounting of the owl's observations, Morgan frowned, "Mercenaries working with kobolds? Gathering an offering of some type and eventually attacking the keep? This bodes ill. Let's avoid conflict with them for now and slip between these two buildings to the south. It's dark out, that should aid us in moving undetected. Keep your wits about you, lads." The woman soured at the last, she never liked the idea of sneaking around, preferring an upfront fight. But you didn't live long as a mercenary if you didn't come to understand that some battles were better left uncontested.

Nodding to the eladrin, Morgan replied, "Good idea with the fog, but let's save it for now. If whoever built that keep had any sense, there will be a lot of open ground between it and the nearest cover. Let's save it for when we need to cover that ground and have no other options."

hafrogman

Adventurer
The group turns south and slips in between the buildings, leaving the arguing raiders to themselves. The group's efforts at stealth are less than ideal however, and although the first group seems too caught up in their argument to notice anything, it isn't long before more attention is drawn.

Morgan's armor, Venn's arcane mutterings and the whimpering of terrified children all seem to cut through the night air to the ears of the stealthier individuals. Drawn out of a nearby house by the noise, a man clad in dark robes steps out into the street, flanked by two of the leather clad raiders. They are facing south and only catch sight of Hunter at first. The robed man calls out imperiously.

"You there! Mondath is recalling your company to the south. We'll be making the push soon."

Forged Fury

First Post
Morgan held up her fist and froze, hoping the others would freeze as well. Glancing back at Carrad she nodded her head in the direction of Hunter, trusting the elf could move silently to position himself to support his comrade without giving away their position. She waited anxiously to see how the Chultan scout would respond.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Hunter momentarily stiffens before growling. "Aye, south."
They think I am one of them! he thinks to himself. And who or what is Mondath?

He pauses, transferring his javelin to his shield hand before taking a swig from his waterskin. Painfully aware of the others behind him he hoped he was giving the robed man enough time to move on.

*if the robed man does not clear out quickly he will trot off south and double back to the others.

hafrogman

Adventurer
The man scowls at Hunter for a moment, before gesturing to his men.

"Come on, we've got to round up the rest."

He stalks off, circling around the opposite side of the building from the lurking group. His two attendants follow after him. Just as Hunter is preparing to regroup, the man spins around one last time.

"Don't think I don't see you loitering there. If I have to come back and find you, you WILL regret it."

Then without waiting to see if his orders are being followed, he stalks off into the darkness.

OOC: You have made it to I4. From here your party and Scree can see into the hillside at H5. Away from the fires set among the buildings it is darker, but you can see the occasional torch bobbing around, and smaller, darker shapes scurry through the night, ringing the keep.

kuey1975

First Post
Carad grabbed one of the boys who had made to dash off when the party was stopped. While he appreciated his instincts, the movement would likely have given their position away. Only when the kid had calmed down was he able to start sneaking his way to the front, but by then, Hunter had already deftly dealt with the situation.

Looking first to the west, he turned to Morgan. "Looks like the keep entrance is facing west. We could possibly circle round to the other side unnoticed amongst this chaos, but we would still need to get through the raiders surrounding the keep. From our last encounters, it seems they have engaged mercenaries. Perhaps we could bluff our way through instead?"

Briefly switching to Scree's eyes, he then added, "We might want to circle round by the south side. There seems to be a river and some trees. Might encounter less raiders that way."

OOC: With about 100ft range for viewing through Scree, Carad would be able to see the river to the south?

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
OOC: Certainly. I've generally been assuming if it's on the map, Scree can see it. General lay of the land, features, etc. Just detail is hard to pick out. There doesn't seem to be any large body of raiders on this side of the river, but there seems to be some sort of gathering on the south side, enough light and activity to be visible even at this distance.

kuey1975

First Post
Carad added on, "There seems to be some kind of gathering to the south side of the river but by Mystra's grace, they won't notice a group of "mercenaries" making our way. Even if they do, they would have to cross to river to engage us. Otherwise, there don't seem to be much movement to the south."

Forged Fury

First Post
"The northern approach seems the most direct. Save the presence of the civilians, we could probably pretend to be mercenaries hired on to the effort here. Any plan we undertake is going to have to incorporate getting Linan and her people to the keep. Perhaps disguises would work, the children are about the size of kobolds. Throw some cloaks on them..."

Looking to the others, Morgan asked, "Any ideas from the rest of you? This is quite the challenge."

Last edited:

Skarsgard

Explorer
"That robed person told me to go south so I guess the northern areas should be clear of this filth." Hunterstates.

"To be honest commander, Carad and I could take point and clear a path as required with the rest of you some distance behind us?"his brilliant white smile flashes in the gloom.

Remove ads