[LotR] Why oh why did they let Frodo go to Mordor alone?

Mercurius

Legend
I don't know, I think Aragorn would have resisted - just like Galadriel and Gandalf did, and Elrond by default (he didn't make a move for it).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don't know, I think Aragorn would have resisted - just like Galadriel and Gandalf did, and Elrond by default (he didn't make a move for it).

Of course, an element of Elrond's and Galadriel's resistance (and Faramir's) is sending the ring away.

Jhaelen

First Post
The question is, would they have been able to continue resisting it while carrying it around with them for weeks? I doubt it.

delericho

Legend

Quite possibly. But he wasn't sure, and indeed was terrified that he'd fail like his ancestor. So he chose to remove the temptation. Which was a sensible, if not optimal, choice.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
... and already being ring bearers, and being effectively immortal (like Gandalf).

I don't think the immortality has much to do with it - Sauron himself is effectively immortal, and it contains the larger part of his own power.

There are a few individuals who can turn away the Ring's allure for a short while, but I think the point is that *nobody* is really safe in the long term.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't think the immortality has much to do with it - Sauron himself is effectively immortal, and it contains the larger part of his own power.

There are a few individuals who can turn away the Ring's allure for a short while, but I think the point is that *nobody* is really safe in the long term.

I was pointing out the differences because they also have to do, in this case, with relative power. A more powerful creature, especially one already wearing an uncorrupted ring, might be able to resist the temptation for longer. Such a creature is, of course, also more likely to realize that it could not hold out against said temptation *forever* ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases