D&D 5E [5E][OOC] Across the Faerun-iverse

Forged Fury

First Post
I don't think you have to be proficient in Animal Handling to help, just that you be capable of attempting the task. The PHB calls out being proficient in Thieve's Tools being required to open a lock as that's a bit of an odd duck, apparently.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Couple of things:
2. I cannot find the rules on charging, so I cannot rule on whether or not you can charge if you have to move through a non-hostile creature's space. If someone can point me to the rules, I'll be happy to review.

In the spirit of 5E (rulings, not rules), I would say just make the decision that makes the most sense to you. I could see it going either way.

Forged Fury

First Post
RE: Help requiring proficiency.

I mean, it's up to Egon. If we go with proficiency required to Help, then it makes sense to have Endurance try, with Ana assisting, since Advantage has the equivalency to +5 on a given check (+8 or so to the check compared to Ana's +5 by herself). I just think it's a weird that, mechanically, (in a good number of cases) an untrained character would have a better shot of succeeding at a task if they had the assistance of someone proficient in the skill than the proficient character would have with the assistance of the untrained person.

ETA: Too bad they're not small, then Gnash could talk to them.

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
[MENTION=95059]Forged Fury[/MENTION] I completely agree. I was thinking the same thing. If I were 3rd level I'd be able to use Speak with Animals, but not yet.

Egon

First Post
Charging
I'm not going to go all out and make up some new rules just to account for some weird situation that may or may not come up. Simply put, we'll just stick to the rules for moving through a non-hostile creature's space (double movement costs in that/those space(s)), and you can charge. I'd say you probably have to have some room to build up speed (10 feet of normal movement), but nothing funky other than that.

Skill Assistance
The book is actually pretty good on detailing this. Page 175:

Some times two or more characters team up to attempt a task. The character who's leading the effort - or the one with the highest ability modifier - can make an ability check with advantage, reflecting the help provided by the other characters.

The book goes on to say that in order to provide help, it must be a task that you can do alone, and then gives the example of needing to be proficient with thieves' tools to open a lock. Animal Handling is something that you do not need additional proficiency in to do alone, although having proficiency in a skill never hurts.

All told, it's one roll with advantage for the person with the highest modifier (which I believe is Anastriana at +5). This reflects both the skill of Ana, plus the help of whomever is helping out.

Egon

First Post
You know, until those Stealth checks, you guys were routinely rolling in the high teens/lower twenties. It's good to see that the dice gods have come to their senses.

Remove ads