D&D 5E [IC] Egon's Lost Mine of Phandelver

Egon

First Post
A quick check of the area immediately surrounding this part of the trail shows that it has been used as a staging point for ambushes for quite some time; the thick grasses and young trees all show signs of having been trampled or cut into, with several obvious spots showing where the Goblins sit as they lie in wait. You are also able to see that there is a small trail that leads away from the area to the northwest, hidden beyond the thicket on the north side of the Triboar.

A closer inspection of the actual carnage on the trail only shows that the Goblins are the ones behind the death of the horses. The arrows in the horses have the same black fletching as the arrows that struck the ground shortly before you were attacked, and that is the same fletching on the arrows that 2 of the Goblins have in their quivers.

Anastriana, with her knowledge of the forest and how things are supposed to look, is able to see that the hidden trail leading northwest has been used by at least a dozen Goblins, with tracks showing they have been coming and going for some time. She is also able to see what looks like the marks of 1 or 2 human-sized creatures having been dragged off along the trail.

Forged Fury

First Post
Marking the black-fletched arrows as a signature of this goblin tribe, she gathered up one of the quivers and put as many of the black-fletched arrows in it as she could. Returning to the site of the ambush where the rest of the group was gathered, she said, "There's a trail that leads northwest and has been used by at least a dozen goblins over some time. It looks like they dragged one or two humanoid bodies away from here. Possibly dead, possibly alive, but I didn't notice any blood trails. Any idea who the riders were?"

hafrogman

Adventurer
Keira looks over at the trail indicated by Anastriana and shrugs.

"I do not know the riders were. Other travelers along this road though, one can presume. We will need to clear the dead horses for our own travels, that much is clear. But if Gundren means to continue moving supplies along this route, the question becomes 'do we clear out the rest of these goblins now?'. If there are a dozen or more, then they will continue to be a hindrance to our own return and any future supply runs."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Endurance is startled and satisfied at the speed with which the ambush was thwarted. This group responded with lightning quickness, which he took as an omen. He looked around to ensure no one else was around, and, satisfied the enemy were gone, he performed a quick inspection of the bodies. He returns to the cart and then continues to help pus it off the side of the road. Once it was possible for their wagon (and others) to pass, he will be ready to proceed.

"I suggest we move on, though with a bit more care. The road's not safe, but we are capable."

Schmoe

Adventurer
"We've pledged to see this cart through safely to Phandolin, and we can't forget that pledge. But at this point I can't say if the goblins haven't taken Gundren himself! Besides, whoever they took may still be alive, and if we just move on the next group of innocent travelers may not be able to protect themselves as well as we did."

Gnash turns to Ana.

"Do you think you can hide the horse and cart in the trees? We need to stop those goblins, but we need to keep the cart safe, too."

Forged Fury

First Post
Ana considered the question. "I'm sure we can find somewhere to hide Buttercup and the cart, but it would need to be far from the corpses. The scent will draw predators and scavengers. I can unhook Buttercup and tie him to a tree with a hitch knot that will come undone if he yanks hard enough at it."

The wood elf relished the chance to kill more goblins; the creatures were clearly a blight on this area.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Watching the others move around doing what they do best, Rebecca had to admit she was impressed by their physicality and efficiency. It seemed like they seemlessly worked together as a unit, each person knowing instinctively how best to help.

"We cannot leave people captives of such a cruel and callous species as the goblins. We must rescue them."

"I suppose we should be careful when we follow, they are creatures of low cunning, but clever none the less."

Schmoe

Adventurer
After Ana gives the sign that the cart and horse have been safely secured, Gnash heads toward the trail, eyes blazing fiercely, his diminutive form a picture of righteous determination.

"Come then! Let's go put an end to the murderous blighters."

hafrogman

Adventurer
Keira shrugs as the group members make the decision to hunt the goblins, for whatever reasons each put forward.

"It appears we are going after the goblins then. Lets us be about it then, if we're going."

She lingers back a little, letting the others take the lead. She brings up the rear guard again, letting the forest and the sounds of the rest of the group mask her presence, and doing her best to look out for anyone following them up the trail.

OOC: Looks like the final order from the OOC thread is something like:

Gnash
Endurance
Rebecca
Keira (Stealth: 23)

With Ana flanking off to the sides.

Egon

First Post
Getting Buttercup and the wagon secured is easy enough; there are plenty of places to stash both of them so that they are hidden from view of the trail. And while hiding them, you realize why the Goblins used this particular spot for ambushing unsuspecting people - the excellent hiding spots make for ease of seeing the trail while not being seen yourself. Smart.

After about 10 minutes of walking along the trail, Endurance spots something that seems to be out of the ordinary. After a closer, more careful inspection, he realizes that Gnash is about to step directly onto a snare set in the middle of the trail. The twine/rope from the snare winds its way from the noose on the ground to a tree branch overhead, and there are some sticks and rocks in the tree above that are definitely out of place; it looks like the snare might be set to catch someone and then announce that it's been sprung.

Remove ads