Character Death

N'raac

First Post
His new character approached the party's night camp in the dark, with a Darkness spell up.

He got spotted but couldn't see who was out looking for him. He heard them (natural 20 on a Listen check.). So he, ever brilliant, sent his Small Air Elemental familiar to see what was going on.

The party Scout, noting that the party is in a Necropolis ("city" that is nothing but burial sites) and has been attacked by undead, spotted the Elemental, and bloody near killed it on sight. Rolled a 23 total on a Knowledge Religion and realized that it wasn't an undead, so he held his shot.

New PC is the brother of the dead PC, who somehow managed to track the party down in the middle of the desert, alone and on foot. He wants custodody of his sister's body. Oh, and her possessions as well.

We made it clear that:

A) We don't know him from Adam, and just because he says he's her brother doesn't mean a thing. (He's Human with an aquatic template, but not the same race as the deceased PC.)
B) We were taking the Priestess of Ra back to her temple, where they would either raise her or bury her. And since Egyptions liked to take it with them when they died, he was not getting her stuff.

He's still trying to dictate a Will, to direct distribution of magical gear. We've said no, repeatedly, making it clear that our characters would not loot their dead friend's corpse.

At some point someone will notice that he's not actually the same race that she was. So, approaching an adventuring party by night, in a valley of the dead, under cover of a Darkness spell, and then introducing yourself with an obvious and easily provable lie is not the way to begin a relationship. Adventuring together means risking your lives together. That requires trust, which he has shredded before we finished exchanging names.

So how are you thinking he should have approached the party? Whistling and clashing cymbals through the Necropolis? His strange ability to track the party seems like something the DM has as much responsibility to explain as he does, if not more. Of course, the alternative is "you sit the game out for an indefinite period until an intro for your character is available".

All lies should be pretty easy to ferret out if you have a mid-level Divine caster. Has anyone tried to verify or disprove his claims?

Do other PC's get a similar intro into the group, or is this player singled out because he's the problem child?

And what precludes a character leaving a will? This player trying to retcon it in seems problematic, but I'm not sure a PC wanting to leave possessions to relatives is so incomprehensible. Do any other PC's have wills (or living relatives)?

Why would a character send an air elemental with +11 Stealth Skill, +17 Fly skill and 60' Darkvision out to scout for him at night? Gee, whatever WAS he thinking sending an entity that should not be approaching from less than 40'or so above the ground using stealth when it can see twice that far through the dark, when he could just walk out himself with his noisy armor (I suspect) and daylight-adjusted eyes. It's not like a 100'move with Perfect maneuverability would give the Elemental any hope of fleeing danger, is it?

It seems like you are ready to see anything the player does in the worst possible light, based (not wholly unreasonably) on past experience with him. However, if he were as horrible as the posts we see here make him out to be, it's surprising to me that a majority vote by your group can't be raised to remove him.

Is it possible that his behaviour is less bothersome to others than it is to you? Recent threads seem to look like you are actively looking for an issue you can point to as his latest unforgiveable sin. I doubt my own objectivity would survive a similar history. Are you sure yours has?

Greenfield

Adventurer
More or less in order:

You approach a group by daylight, or if at night you announce yourself with, "Halloo the camp", or similar greeting.

Yes, his tracking ability was convenient. He could have said, "I was out her, looking for a lost family member, and spotted your shelter.", then let the coincidence of him finding us play out.

His lies will be apparent the first time he goes in water, or when we see his bare arms. Aventi (the old PC's race) have fins on their arms and legs that extend when they enter water. They also have a distinctive skin color. Aquatic humans have neither, so all this one takes is a simple Spot check.

Other new PCs get introduced at appropriate times, organically as part of the story. He didn't want to wait for that. (We've met other groups as we travel, and are about to meet another.) He was greeted as a suspicious stranger because he acted like one. (You don't approach a group hiding behind a Darkness spell, if you're a friendly.)

As for having a Will: Our house rule is well known within the group, and has been abided by by every other player in the game. PC gear goes to the grave or to the family. It is never kept in the group. Further, his (late) 10th level character had about 50% more wealth than level guidelines called for. Giving all of that to his 8th level character, on top of the level-appropriate wealth the new character started with, would unbalance things to an insane degree.

As for the Air Elemental: Darkvision? Within a Darkness spell? +11 stealth when flying with no cover, other than that same Darkness spell? In D&D, that spell blocks Darkvision. And you can't make a Hide check without something to hide behind, some sort of cover or concealment. Hide in Plain Sight allows for a limited exception, but the Elemental doesn't have it. Now, presuming that somehow it was able to see through the obscuring effect, all it could see would be the sandstone colored Tiny Hut spell thet he already spotted. It's opaque from the outside, transparent from the inside.

So, better question: Why would he approach the camp at all, at night? Why not wait until morning, when he can see, and when he and his Familiar can actually take advantage of cover if they need to? In a Necropolis, night time is when you hide, dig a hole and pull it in after you.

But you're right that I am a bit oversensitive regarding this player's behavior. As a Dm he piled on lots of loot so his character could be over-geared for the level. After the character's death he asked for his old character's gear for his new PC (2 levels lower) and was told no. The exact reason was also explained. Next he asked if he should start the new character with the same over-inflated wealth level as his old character had. Again, he was told no, and we repeated that new characters come in with wealth appropriate to the level, according to the table in the DMG.

I followed these rules when I lost a character, the current DM followed these rules when he changed characters; Hell, half the players in the game have lost or changed characters, and followed these rules. He's watched it happen, over and over again. But somehow they're unfair when it's his turn.

He whined and argued via email, and was again told no. He tried to have his character write a Will, after she was dead, and was again shut down.

Then his new character comes in, as the old character's brother, and tries to claim the old character's wealth yet again.

I don't know why anyone would get irritated at that. Maybe you can fill me in. Any insights?

Celebrim

Legend
Then his new character comes in, as the old character's brother, and tries to claim the old character's wealth yet again.

Back to that again?

Why the heck is this guy still with the group? I'm all for charity and all, but you guys have long exhausted even seven times seventy on this one and he shows no sign that he's ever going to start acting in any good faith. If he can't take "No." for an answer, then he should be tossed out on his ear. Otherwise, your problem child isn't actually a problem child. He's an emotional bully.

Greenfield

Adventurer
As mentioned, nobody has called for the vote of no confidence.

I could, but the game is hosted at my home, so my voice carries an awful lot of weight. Whenever we vote I start at one end of the table and circle around, so my voice is (coincidentally) last.

The group is going to have a vote on his new character's Familiar next week, I expect. It's borderline illegal. (Air elemental as an Improved Familiar for an aquatic human.) Personally I don't think it's such a big deal, but it's another case where he either failed to read the rules, or failed to care.

That vote may lead to a vote for removal. It may not.

To answer the question that was implied a few posts ago, he's a power gamer at a table full of story driven types. Every DM has to spend a disproportionately large amount of their time watching to see what rule he's breaking in play. It's tiring and detracts from play.

So if I, and any other DM, has become oversensitive, and started looking for reasons to "pounce" on him, it's because he makes a habit of providing those opportunities, and if we don't work to keep him in line the game will turn into the "Problem Child and his Magical Ego" show.

Alright [MENTION=6669384]Greenfield[/MENTION] I am going to advocate something I thought I never would. Give it to him. Give him everything. All the gear on his sister's body. All the treasure you find in the necropolis. All of it.

And then two things have to happen.

1) Enforce encumbrance/carrying limits.

2) Nightwalkers. Lots and lots of Nightwalkers.

And as Problem Child (PC? Hah! I just noticed that!) struggles desperately to drag his ill gotten gains, you can drink in his bitter tears as the monsters all use their Crush Item ability. One by one until all he has is the clothes on his back. And then maybe, just maybe, you can give PC the sweet release of death.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There's a reason I refer to him as "The problem child". :)

Unless he's a really good friend and you're stuck with him, I'd have a private talk with him about his behavior and let him know tactfully that it has to change or he's going to have to find a new game. If he is a good friend, I'd still have a talk with him about how his behavior is affecting the rest of the group and see what he says.

Dandu

First Post
Greenfield, you must post his character builds as near as you can tell for us. I'm betting he gets them off of D&D Wiki.

delericho

Legend
New PC is the brother of the dead PC, who somehow managed to track the party down in the middle of the desert, alone and on foot. He wants custodody of his sister's body. Oh, and her possessions as well.

Tell him out of character that he's not getting that gear, no matter what PC he brings in. And tell him also that if he asks again he's getting the boot.

Then, when he asks again, give him the boot.

N'raac

First Post
More or less in order:

You approach a group by daylight, or if at night you announce yourself with, "Halloo the camp", or similar greeting.

Under typical circumstances, I would agree. But I don’t think being “in a Necropolis ("city" that is nothing but burial sites) and has been attacked by undead” constitutes typical circumstances. “Halloo the camp that could be Heroes but seems more likely to be graverobbing murderhobos or a troupe of vile necromancers” seems less than brilliant. Scouting to verify whether this is, or is not, the group you are apparently looking for seems more prudent.

Now, even if he knows with certainty this is the right group, what else is stalking the night and would love to have that “Halloo” to track back to some delicious living souls?

I also make it a policy to note when it seems like a player is taking actions against the norms of the setting which his character would know, and suggest that to him so he can make a decision based on in-character knowledge that he is flying in the face of convention.

Yes, his tracking ability was convenient. He could have said, "I was out her, looking for a lost family member, and spotted your shelter.", then let the coincidence of him finding us play out.

After a fashion, he DID say he was out here looking for a lost family member, didn’t he? In the middle of a necropolis. When I spotted your shelter in the dark. What else can see your shelter from some distance off, if it’s that obvious?

Is it coincidence? Are you privy to the DM’s decisions on how and why the new character got here?

His lies will be apparent the first time he goes in water, or when we see his bare arms. Aventi (the old PC's race) have fins on their arms and legs that extend when they enter water. They also have a distinctive skin color. Aquatic humans have neither, so all this one takes is a simple Spot check.

I’m not clear on whether there is a relationship between the characters (not direct blood, clearly, but both are aquatic, so there may be a link – wasn’t she something of an outcast from her own race?). Do you have his backstory to know that answer? If there is no relationship, it seems pretty odd this guy would be out exploring a massive graveyard looking for a group of adventurers who have lost a member so he can claim to be related in the hopes they will hand him a big pile of treasure. “Beyond eye-rolling” odd.

Other new PCs get introduced at appropriate times, organically as part of the story. He didn't want to wait for that. (We've met other groups as we travel, and are about to meet another.) He was greeted as a suspicious stranger because he acted like one. (You don't approach a group hiding behind a Darkness spell, if you're a friendly.)

Well, if the group has a big glowing “We’re the other PC’s” neon sign over their heads, then I guess he would know he does not need to scout out the group camped in the City of the Dead, Walking and Otherwise. But then, shouldn’t he have a similar neon sign letting you know he can be trusted? You are criticizing him for not playing to the scene, and to the likely levels of trust for his character, but you want blind trust extended to the party, again not too realistic given the scene.

As to the timing, I don’t want to have a player sit out for extensive periods of time where it is avoidable. I also prefer some measure of reasonable PC introduction, and the two must be weighed against one another. However, if the DM has decided that it’s appropriate to intro the character now, I think the DM has some responsibility to make that intro plausible. Not just “PC might be here” but “PC would reasonably be accepted and integrated into the group”. I’d also say the other players also have some onus to play along, no different from not working to ignore adventure hooks.

As for having a Will: Our house rule is well known within the group, and has been abided by by every other player in the game. PC gear goes to the grave or to the family. It is never kept in the group. Further, his (late) 10th level character had about 50% more wealth than level guidelines called for. Giving all of that to his 8th level character, on top of the level-appropriate wealth the new character started with, would unbalance things to an insane degree.

Seems like a blend of in-story and metagame reasoning. Assuming there is some relationship, he is asking that the gear go to the family. It’s a breach of group social etiquette to set that up, though.

To the game balance issues, I thought the group as a whole was over equipped, with the expectation loot going forward would be pretty limited until it balanced out. Giving the below team level character some extra gear now will help him over the “below the curve” period and, if the team is not building up a lot of new gear as he catches up, he’ll grow into that gear, not stay over-equipped, won’t he? Practically, I think the “bring the new PC in lower level than the party” policy is more or less guaranteeing the gear won’t align properly, as the new L8 PC will be earning treasure from L10 encounters.

As for the Air Elemental: Darkvision? Within a Darkness spell? +11 stealth when flying with no cover, other than that same Darkness spell? In D&D, that spell blocks Darkvision. And you can't make a Hide check without something to hide behind, some sort of cover or concealment. Hide in Plain Sight allows for a limited exception, but the Elemental doesn't have it. Now, presuming that somehow it was able to see through the obscuring effect, all it could see would be the sandstone colored Tiny Hut spell thet he already spotted. It's opaque from the outside, transparent from the inside.

No, Darkvision outside the spell, which is why it would be sent out as a scout. You may, in your years of experience, have encountered the phrase “under cover of darkness”. An air elemental looks a lot like a cloud, and if it’s 40’ overhead, seems like it would have a pretty fair shot, especially at night, of being tough to differentiate. How does the character coming in know the protocols and spells of the camped party of PC’s? The fact that the scouting would not report back anything of great interest does not eliminate the common sense decision to engage in some reconnaissance. “Hmmm…a Tiny Hut spell…could be a bunch of encamped necromancers”. Someone was outside the Hut, or there would have been no one to consider attacking the Elemental.

So, better question: Why would he approach the camp at all, at night? Why not wait until morning, when he can see, and when he and his Familiar can actually take advantage of cover if they need to? In a Necropolis, night time is when you hide, dig a hole and pull it in after you.

Even better question: how did he even spot the hut in the middle of the night, and why was he out in the Necropolis? Questions that I as a player would expect the DM to consider before the Intro, and would have worked out with the new PC’s player as a DM before agreeing that he finds the party at night.

But you're right that I am a bit oversensitive regarding this player's behavior. As a Dm he piled on lots of loot so his character could be over-geared for the level. After the character's death he asked for his old character's gear for his new PC (2 levels lower) and was told no. The exact reason was also explained. Next he asked if he should start the new character with the same over-inflated wealth level as his old character had. Again, he was told no, and we repeated that new characters come in with wealth appropriate to the level, according to the table in the DMG.

Seems to me that ALL the PC’s are over-geared for their level, and you were earlier chuckling over the fact that this new PC would come in 2 levels lower than the norm of the party and not get any new gear commensurate with his growth in levels as the loot would be way lower until the average gear was appropriate for WBL again. So how does his character eventually get caught up to appropriate WBL when he’s 12th level (and likely the rest of the team is)? Or is it OK that he will be hugely under-geared for his level, just not that he should ever be over-geared for his level?

As I recall, your group had the choice of re-setting the gear back before the problem started, and chose not to. Apparently, a majority is OK with being over-geared.

I followed these rules when I lost a character, the current DM followed these rules when he changed characters; Hell, half the players in the game have lost or changed characters, and followed these rules. He's watched it happen, over and over again. But somehow they're unfair when it's his turn.

Here, I largely take your side in that group norms are not being respected. However, the situation has changed a bit with everyone being over-geared. When you, or anyone else, brought their new character in, I’m unclear whether they were also 2, rather than 1, level behind party average. I am clear that the expectation is that this character’s gear will not catch up with his level as he catches up with the party due to the XP mechanics. Has that also been the case in the past?

He whined and argued via email, and was again told no. He tried to have his character write a Will, after she was dead, and was again shut down.

I don't know why anyone would get irritated at that. Maybe you can fill me in. Any insights?

The retcon would also bug me. If the standard is loot goes to family, and he`s family, it seems like the loot goes to him. On the one hand, he is loopholing. On the other, isn`t a relative of a deceased character a story-driven reason for a new character to arrive?

Without question, I am giving Problem Child every benefit of the doubt – I`m taking the other side of the "bash this player with me" approach to the thread.

At the same time, it seems to be a standard in your group that issues don’t actually get discussed at the table. Rather, they get discussed in smaller groups, email exchanges, enworld threads, etc. Every time these issues crop up, two common questions seem to be asked. Celebrim and Maxperson raise them below, again.

A mature, out of character group discussion about the fact that expectations of the game within the group are not consistent. I think it’s pretty clear that this “Problem Child” is the furthest outlier to the power gamer side, or at least the most vocal one. I’m speculating, but I also think you are the furthest outlier in opposition to his vision for the game.

It seems pretty common that you bring up votes which would clearly go one way if the majority of the group share your vision, but they don’t go your way. “Reverse the excessive loot” is a good example – while you won the “change DM’s” aspect of that vote, reversal of the excessive loot wasn’t a big enough deal to the majority of your group to vote for that.

Problem Child does not graciously accept “No” as an answer. Do you? You are still here complaining about that over-equipped party after the group voted to accept that state of affairs.

Second issue that always comes up: Typically with an implied “if it is as bad as you say”, the recommendation is to give the player the boot. Unlike most groups, your group has an actual mechanism for deciding whether to give a player the boot. Neither you nor anyone else in your group has pulled that trigger. That doesn’t have to be “he stays or is gone” – it could lead to “these things need to change”. But there is a risk that the consensus or vote comes back that this is not a big deal to most of the group, in which case you’re the one who’s out of step.

I’m not saying there is not plenty of blame to lay at Problem Child’s feet. I am questioning why, if it is as clear, obvious and consistent as these threads suggest, that the player is a significant problem to the group as a whole, no one has pulled the trigger. One answer is that this guy is not perceived as all that bad by the rest of the group.

You want him to accept the character death results accepted by the rest of the group. It seems like his presence as a player is also accepted by the rest of the group, but not so much by you. Every few weeks, you seem to be champing at the bit for a vote on his removal, but no one else calls that vote, and you refuse to.

You refer to the other DM’s having similar issues, but they aren’t pushing for his removal either, are they?

My simple question is why not put it on the table, call the vote and have a mature group discussion about the problem. It`s clearly diminishing your enjoyment of the game. I can`t imagine he feels he`s having as fun a game as he could be. It seems likely to impact the rest of the table, to varying degrees. So why not get it out in the open, have the discussion at least, and if need be call the vote?

N'raac

First Post
To the Improved Familiar (now in two locations to serve you better), am I missing something in reading Improved Familiar? The initial chart provides six alignment-based choices. It then goes on to state

The list in the table above presents only a few possible improved familiars. Almost any creature of the same general size and power as those on the list makes a suitable familiar. Nor is the master’s alignment the only possible categorization. For instance, improved familiars could be assigned by the master’s creature type or subtype, as shown below.

I don`t think it is suggesting alignment and subtype should both be used at the same time. I think it is suggesting ANY comparable creature could be suitable, and you could pick any number of different criteria for deciding which familiars would, or would not, be appropriate.

From a mechanical perspective, the elemental seems like it`s not a big deal. It appears on the list. From a story perspective, I would like to see a reason the air elemental familiar became attached to the character (but I`d also like to know why a bat instead of a raven, and no one ever challenges that). My preference would be for that reason to come out in play, which would mean I don`t need to know it as a player. That`s tougher in your group, with team DM`s, but for me it would be enough that one of the other DM`s has accepted the story.

Here again, though, I think the problem is that his acceptance might differ from yours, and you will be stuck with it when DM rotates back to you again. The vote seems like the right answer, and it should likely be a vote on exactly how Improved Familiar is to be interpreted (eg. the alignment restriction; the subtype restriction; both; neither; player chooses one) and whether this varies (with region, with campaign, never - it is the rule of our table, etc.). I would, however, allow the player to select either a new familiar within the scope of the decision, or replace the feat if he no linger sees it fitting the character he was building.

Remove ads