TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JRRNeiklot said:
Hey, Gary, with all the flak the ranger class has been given in 3e, and indeed, in the upcoming 3.5e rules, why do you thinkis no one (myself included) has been really happy with the class? I loved the 1e and AU ranger class, but I have yet to see a version in 3e that really inspires me to play a ranger, though hackmaster comes close.

The answer is easy;) OAD&D got it right in regards to the Ranger class. As HackMaster is pretty close to AD&D, their version is pretty close to being "right."

Heh,
Gary

Hi Gary mate! :)

I recently convinced a friend to buy all the Gord the Rogue novels on ebay. He is currently reading through them and enjoying them immensely (as I have done many times), however, while I was able to answer about a dozen of his questions thus far, two escaped me:

1. What kind of beast was Putriptoq (Nerull-Infestix' steed)?

2. Secondly, we were puzzling over the implications of the following paragraph...

Artifact of Evil, page 234. Originally written by Col_Pladoh
Bits of decaying matter fell from Anthraxus, dropping here and there as he went. The oinodaemon had been standing before the Ten of the Hierarchs for an extended period, and a small circle of the putrescent matter had accumulated around his filthy greatcloak. As he was about to turn and leave, he saw the faces of the enthroned Ten turn pale, eyes start, hands shake. He followed their staring gaze down to the hem of the garment, where the litter of rotting stuff oozed and stank. The stuff had become a fairy ring of fungi, tiny zygoms sprouting from the rot.

At that moment Anthraxus felt fear crawl through his plagued body.

Is it implying that Zuggtmoy was somehow scrying their meeting and if so why would that particularly frighten Anthraxus? I can only assume he feared the plying of the Theorpart?

Is this assessment accurate or am I reading it incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the matter.

Oh, and any news as to the Graphic Novel interepretations or are we still not allowed mention them. :cool:

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, what are your thoughts on non-human undead? I for one think they strike a discordant note. Kobold vampires, halfling mummies, gnomish wraiths, etc. all seem ridiculous to me rather than fantastical.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Geoffrey, don't forget the Banshee, nor the drow vampire in one of Gary's modules. (I'd say which, but I don't want to spoil it for people... :))

Cheers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Upper_Krust said:
Hi Gary mate! :)

[snip]

1. What kind of beast was Putriptoq (Nerull-Infestix' steed)?

2. Secondly, we were puzzling over the implications of the following paragraph...

[snip]

Howdy Upper_Krust,

The steed that Infestix rode was never stated out by me, but I envisaged it as a sort of a cross between a nightmare and one of the mounts ridden by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Right about the Theorpart's use. The shock and awe felt by the group was that a demon, Zuggtmoy, was able to penetrate the security of the council via its power.

As for the graphic novels, I daren't mention them...other than to say that the official announcement will be at the Chicago ComicCon in August, and that I'll be there for the launch with an issue #0 or some such special give-away;)

Cheerio,
Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary, what are your thoughts on non-human undead? I for one think they strike a discordant note. Kobold vampires, halfling mummies, gnomish wraiths, etc. all seem ridiculous to me rather than fantastical.

Non-human undead of the skeleton and zombie sort are fine. Others of the class might be possible too. The main objection is that some few members subsume possession of a soul.

this is a matter of personal taste, IMO. If you dislike having such undead in the campaigm, then exclude them, and you are not wrong.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
Geoffrey, don't forget the Banshee, nor the drow vampire in one of Gary's modules. (I'd say which, but I don't want to spoil it for people... :))

Cheers!

Ho Merrick!

The banshee isn't undead, but a member of the Unseelie Court.

The vampire drow is indeed as noted. I am really not sure of exactly how the non-humans like that become vampires, as they don't have souls--maybe a process similar to that of becoming a lich...

Cheers,
Gary

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
As for the graphic novels, I daren't mention them...other than to say that the official announcement will be at the Chicago ComicCon in August, and that I'll be there for the launch with an issue #0 or some such special give-away;)

gary,

which day(s) were you going to be there again? :) if i am not too overloaded with marital planning i shall do my best to be there (probably saturday).

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:

gary,

which day(s) were you going to be there again? :) if i am not too overloaded with marital planning i shall do my best to be there (probably saturday).

Hi Boz,

We're scheduled to come into the city on Friday evening, likely make a brief appearance at the con, then be there for most of the day Saturday, so looks as if you're on target;)

Cheers,
Gary

optimizer

First Post
Howdy!

Col_Pladoh said:

Well, Mike...

As you note, when inspiration fails the GM turns to published material. If the creative muse has deserted me still when the HOMP module is completed by the gang here, I think that they will likely get to adventure in Castle Wolfmoon--assuming that work is completed;)

Cheers,
Gary

Sounds like that will be fun! :)

BTW, how would you (or do you) handle the transitions between modules? Are the same Avatars used and you create a story to get them to the next module? Or do you write a mini-adventure that bridges the modules? Or just have them create new Avatars?

Thanks!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads