Q&A with Gary Gygax Pt. 3 - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by Melan
    Greetings!

A new question: in your games, how often did the characters confront arch-devils and demon lords (if at all)? Were they successful in slaying these great evil powers, or did such a fight always mean irrevocable, painful death?

For example, did they come blow to blow with Zuggtmoy, did they spell an end to Lolth (maybe in a different way from Queen of the Demonweb Pits?), or was Kerzit's defeat an isolated event?

Plus: was demonkind limited to the base types found in the Monster Manual, or did you invent multiple demon variants to entertain and terrify the adventurers?
    Heh! No PC in the group would ever have dared face a really big-time demomon of devi. I'll speak for Mordenkainen and Bigby in that regard When playing in what became the D3 module someone in the group managed to gate in Asmodeus, and another character called for some entity as strong as that to oppose that devil. Of course I brought in Orcus when the call for assistance was deemed successful. The two are actually opposed of course... They had a fine time laughing at the grovelling mortals, then failed to agree as to who got whose souls. The dispute escallated, and the party escaped.

Not a lot of demons and devils were encountered in my campaign, and when they were it was usually a major fight to get rid of them. They tended to keep gating in reinforcements.

I would sometimes create a unique sort of minor demon or devil for the party to deal with, but. with the plethora of other monsters available this was a rare and "special" thing.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore saduff
    In response to the Devil Q and A....

I find that alot of gamers under play the creatures. Namely dragons, powerful undead, and devils/ demons. Even without any roleplaying element to these types of monsters. They can cause a great deal of pain if played well.

Or maybe it is just my gaming style, but no player of mine is going to go dragon hunting in his spare time.

I have no real question. Im just stating an opinion....

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Wormwood
    Actually, I do have a question.

Why spiders?

Many years ago, we battled our way down down down to the Abyss and discovered that the dark heart of the Drow had eight legs.

We've been fascinated by the Dark Elves ever since, but I've always wondered what inspired their arachnophilia?

It's a wonderful touch which lent the race a uniquely creepy feel (that echoes to this day), but is there some story behind that decision?

Thanks.
    /ˈwərmˌwo͝od/ noun. a state or source of bitterness or grief.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

Ignore Aeolius
    another question...

Gary, in your mind, how old is Oerth? Is it millions of years old, thus capable of generating fossils, species evolution, and mass extinctions? Or was it whipped up by the gods 20,000 years prior to Oerth's recent history?

(Yes, I asked this on GreyTalk, as well)

Originally posted by Col_Pladoh

That question requires far greater knowledge of the system than I possess :rolleyes:

Gary
    ok then we'll keep it simple. How do you picture yourself in-game? In terms of alignment and class, possible race. Quite a broad non-system-oriented question, I'd say.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by Wormwood
    Actually, I do have a question.

Why spiders?

Many years ago, we battled our way down down down to the Abyss and discovered that the dark heart of the Drow had eight legs.

We've been fascinated by the Dark Elves ever since, but I've always wondered what inspired their arachnophilia?

It's a wonderful touch which lent the race a uniquely creepy feel (that echoes to this day), but is there some story behind that decision?

Thanks.
    You put your finger on the matter nicely. Spiders lurk in dark places, attack savagely, are nasty and poisonous. That's the way most people think of them, so what better symbol for the Drow than that?

No, I don't like spiders in the least

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore 8XXX{0}====>
    A question for you...

Have you read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. If you have, what do you think of it?

Thanks,

Sword

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by Aeolius
    another question...

Gary, in your mind, how old is Oerth? Is it millions of years old, thus capable of generating fossils, species evolution, and mass extinctions? Or was it whipped up by the gods 20,000 years prior to Oerth's recent history?

(Yes, I asked this on GreyTalk, as well)
    What a question! just between us it's one that I think the DM should decide

The long history with ages passing is great, but that means all manner of additional material needed for the campaign, including possible past races, gods, etc.

Enough of the past can be garnered in a history that spans only some tens of thousands of years, not billions or many millions.

I envisioned the Oerth, the World of Greyhawk, as a parallel earth far removed from out own probability, a much more recent one that was spun off by the deities that are found there. If another DM wants to have it as one as old as this world and can manage the details, fine.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by 8XXX{0}====>
    A question for you...

Have you read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. If you have, what do you think of it?

Thanks,

Sword
    Sorry, but I have not read the book, so I am unable to comment. As a rule of thumb if it is anything like the work of Anthony, de Camp & Pratt, Farmer, Leiber, Howard, Merritt, Moorcock, Saberhagen, or Vance I will likely enjoy it.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore 8XXX{0}====>
    I think you would like the series. Its better written than Wheel of Time, but since I havnt read anything by the abovementioned authors, I cant really comment accuratly. But thanks for answering my question.

Its kind of intimidating to be 17 and ask questions of The Man.

• Closed Thread
    Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast