D&D 5E [GUIDE] A party without music is lame: A Bard Guide

Ovarwa

Explorer
Instead of Cleric, you might consider a level of Sorcerer, especially if you have UA subclasses to choose from. No heavy armor, but also no Wis13 requirement. Your cantrips use Cha rather than Wis and you start with Con proficiency, which is useful if you plan to stand in melee.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Thought about that after posting.

I want build a real skald. A warrior-bard who sings about tales of valor and might, the triumph of good over evil. Doesn't use magic for show, but for shock and awe and inspiring the team. I have a mini of a dragon born with a great axe, so using that as inspiration. Just need to find a way to get in the booming blade with two handed weapons as it just seems to fit the dragonborn theme. Not optimal, just sounds neat to play, even though weapon damage die size doesn't really matter with booming blade.

If SOR first, then valor bard, I can save the feat, but do I need 6 levels in SOR for elemental affinity to work or does it work like Champions increased critical range so I can use it with booming blade?

Ovarwa

Explorer
Dragon Sorcerer doesn't really work for Str-based warriors. I was thinking more along the lines of some of the UA variants, if you can use them. Otherwise, sorcerer isn't a great path.

Dragon Sorcerer doesn't really work for Str-based warriors. I was thinking more along the lines of some of the UA variants, if you can use them. Otherwise, sorcerer isn't a great path.

Why not?
It is not optimal but as I underdstand, that is not the idea. You still get proficiency in con saves which is nice. AC 13 +dex helps until you get medium armor proficiency. You didn't want to dump dex anyway.
So if you are contebd to be somewhat suboptimal you can have Str 16, dex 14, con 14 and cha 14 wis 10 and int 8. AC 15 at start but you can't start with a great axe. A quarterstaff will work at the beginning though.

A different option may be tempest cleric of valkur. It is a god of the norsemen. You get heavy armor and martial weapons and thunder based abilities which synwrgize nicely with bard thunder abilities. Booming blade is out but you can have thunderclap from the eepg as bard. You actually don't really need booming blade as valor bard because you get extra attack.

Last edited:

smbakeresq

Explorer
Actually I found the stone sorcerer in UA and it fits perfectly. CON to AC is perfect, martial weapon proficiency is perfect, wrathful smite is perfect. They all fit well for a Dragonborn too with CON to AC a better fit with your breathe weapon. Works ability score wise since I can start with odd numbers in STR and CHR and pick up the UA racial feats Dragon Fear and Dragon Hide. I can just go Lore Bard and then play it valorously.

Made INT higher then wisdom, need a lowish wisdom as what sorcerer or bard would make the unwise decision to rush into close combat trusting a tough hide and good spirits to carry them through?

Thematically it works, and Dragon Fear scales much better than breathe weapon does.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

zoom

First Post
I have a question about taking a feat at 4th level being a Lore Bard. Is it Inspiring leader worth it if my campaign has only 3 party members (including me) or should i just skip and go with +2 CHA?

Party is Paladin, Wizard, Bard.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
I have a question about taking a feat at 4th level being a Lore Bard. Is it Inspiring leader worth it if my campaign has only 3 party members (including me) or should i just skip and go with +2 CHA?

Party is Paladin, Wizard, Bard.
That's a tough call. You have both additional healing (paladin), and additional control (wizard). So... I don't know.

If your DM attacks the paladin a lot, go with +2 Cha. You better use cutting words and spells to protect him.
If you DM attacks everyone equally, go with Inspiring Leader. It gives everyone an extra hit.

xompistas

First Post
Hi there, I'm about to join a party of three (level 9), creating a Lore Bard. The party lacks utility, reliable control and healing, plus a social guy. So the build I have in mind is this:
Human Variant (8,12,10,14,14,20) point buy
Prodigy (Human bonus feat), Actor (level 4)
Background Noble, Proficiencies: Arcana, Deception, History, Insight, Intimidation, Medicine, Perception, Performance, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand, Experise Deception, Insight
Spells:
0 - Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Vicious Mockery
1 - Charm Person, Faerie Fire, Healing Word
2 - Blindness/Deafness, Invisibility
3 - Dispel Magic, Hypnotic Pattern, Major Image, Tongues
4 - Polymorph
5 - Mass Cure Wounds, Mislead
Secrets: Counterspell, Fireball or Fly

I want to focus on roleplaying and deception tactics, hence the questionably low physical stats. What do you guys think of the spell selection?

Remove ads