D&D 5E [GUIDE] A party without music is lame: A Bard Guide

mellored

Legend
Rogue - Arcane Trickster
Cleric - Life
Monk - Way of Open Hand
Bard - Lore (me)
Circle of power because it has a bigger radius (30') and you have 2 mobile allies, one who needs to be in melee, and another who needs an ally in melee. So you're going to be spread out and running around more.

Globe of invulnerability's radius (10') probably won't be big enough.

Rub

First Post
Not sure if this has been "officially" answered by Crawford or Mearls, but I have a question regarding a Lore Bard's Cutting Words. While it can be used on ability checks, and Initiative is an ability check, Cutting Words is a reaction. Since Initiative takes place before combat, does a Bard have the ability to use Cutting Words on Initiative?

mellored

Legend
Not sure if this has been "officially" answered by Crawford or Mearls, but I have a question regarding a Lore Bard's Cutting Words. While it can be used on ability checks, and Initiative is an ability check, Cutting Words is a reaction. Since Initiative takes place before combat, does a Bard have the ability to use Cutting Words on Initiative?
You still have reactions out of combat, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use feather fall.

Dasem

First Post
How's the new Tabaxi from Volo's Guide fit for a Bard? I don't know where you stand on rating Unearthed Arcana material, but the Tabaxi are incredibly mobile, so off the cuff, I'd say they'd made great members for both the College of Satire and College of Swords from the Kits of Old UA article.

Dasem

First Post
Also, do you have any interest in rating the UA Kits of Old options? Or for a handbook, is it somewhat not worth it, considering how it might change before release? Or do you only rate AL approved material?

mellored

Legend
Also, do you have any interest in rating the UA Kits of Old options? Or for a handbook, is it somewhat not worth it, considering how it might change before release? Or do you only rate AL approved material?
I had them rated at some point, must of lost it in the purge.

Sword is overall a slightly weaker valor. You don't get shield proficiency, and +insperation isn't as good on you as it would be on a barbarian or rogue. Except for unnerving flourish, which is just broken.
Also booming blade/green flameblade exists now, giving you easy scaling melee damage.

Satire's mobility is great, and extra detect thoughts is good as well. Fools luck could be a trap, depending on your DM, he could simply choose not to invoke the penalty and forever lock you out.

mellored

Legend
Glamour

Mantle of Inspiration: Good THP at low level but scales poorly. Extra movement can be useful now and then to pull your wizard away from an enemy.
Enthralling Performance: Get a few people on your side for a little while, out of combat.

Mantle Of Majesty: Command is a great spell even at high levels. Note that bonus action spell restriction applies, so command + cantrip or command +dodge. Also you can't cast it on the first turn you use it since it takes a bonus action to activate, though activating isn't a spell so you can active + crown of maddness, then command the target as your bonus action on your next turns. Works with Enthralling Performance out of combat.

Unbreakable Majesty: Short rest sanctuary would be good by itself, but this is even stronger. Can be used with the normal sanctuary loopholes like pre-casting spiritual guardian or call lighting. I'm assuming sanctuary doesn't take a slot.

Whispers

Venomous Blades: Using the die to help a fighter hit will do about as much damage, and you lack weapon and armor skills to be in melee. Though it's possible you might land an OA or something.
Venomous Words: If you have 10 minutes alone with someone, then you've probably already won, and getting them to run away for an hour won't add much. Though it's possible you'll come across a lone guard or something.

Mantle of Whispers: A improved disguise self that requires you to kill your target, which isn't too restrictive in most D&D games. Note that you can keep changing into that person indefinitely.

Shadow Lore: A nice long duration out of combat dominate. Can be used to take an enemy out of combat as well.

Last edited:

Dasem

First Post
If you're a Rogue looking to dip into bard for whatever reason, at least Venemous Blades doesn't really slow down your Sneak Attack damage. So that's a thing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases