D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
Still working on good old Garl Glittergold, so until I finish him up, I will continue to take little breaks to work on easier monsters. I have posted the Astral Dreadnought to the abominations section.

Up Next:

2) Garl Glittergold
3) Piranoth
4) Ioun
5) astral dreadnought
6) Yondalla
7) brachyurus
8) Erathis
9) phane
10) ruin swarm
11) mu spore

Blacklight85

First Post
Still working on good old Garl Glittergold, so until I finish him up, I will continue to take little breaks to work on easier monsters. I have posted the Astral Dreadnought to the abominations section.

Up Next:

2) Garl Glittergold
3) Piranoth
4) Ioun
5) astral dreadnought
6) Yondalla
7) brachyurus
8) Erathis
9) phane
10) ruin swarm
11) mu spore

So i had the pleasure of restudying all my works concerning the dragons and also took some time off, messing around with Ahat Hir fighting against my strongest solar. All in all, fun.

But i think i'm finally ready to take on the great wyrms, i'll send a rough draft by this week. Still pretty excited with all this work going on. Amazing as ever.

dave2008

Legend
So i had the pleasure of restudying all my works concerning the dragons and also took some time off, messing around with Ahat Hir fighting against my strongest solar. All in all, fun.

But i think i'm finally ready to take on the great wyrms, i'll send a rough draft by this week. Still pretty excited with all this work going on. Amazing as ever.

Sounds great - I look forward to it.

dave2008

Legend
Well, I think he is only about 90% baked, but he was wearing me out, so i have posted the 1st draft of the head of the gnomish pantheon: Garl Glittergold.

If you're used to his 3e version, you may want go back and check out his 1e and 2e incarnations. Originally I wanted to give him more of an artificer vibe, so that was why I decided to make his equipment an important part of his identity / stat block, but it never came together quite the way i wanted. Maybe in the 2nd draft.

Up Next:

2) Garl Glittergold
3) Piranoth
4) Ioun
5) astral dreadnought
6) Yondalla
7) brachyurus
8) Erathis
9) phane
10) ruin swarm
11) mu spore

synergy2

First Post
How exactly do you have epic armor working at the moment? I notice a lot of gods have things like "+3 Epic Breastplates" but no explanation of what that entails.

dave2008

Legend
How exactly do you have epic armor working at the moment? I notice a lot of gods have things like "+3 Epic Breastplates" but no explanation of what that entails.

I wouldn't say a lot ;)

It is a moving target and just about every time decided to make armor factor into the AC (and not just say "natural armor") I change my design philosophy. These are first drafts and WIP. I hope to have epic armor codified (and many more things) before I start the 2nd drafts.

Sorry I can't give you a good answer at this time.

synergy2

First Post
No big deal!

Perhaps epic armor should give some form of Damage Reduction, rather than just adding AC? Since you say in your epic weapons area that they are made from "harder, heavier materials"

dave2008

Legend
No big deal!

Perhaps epic armor should give some form of Damage Reduction, rather than just adding AC? Since you say in your epic weapons area that they are made from "harder, heavier materials"

Possibly, in the 2nd drafts i plan to reign in the ACs to align with bounded accuracy better. So that probably has some merit.

synergy2

First Post
Possibly, in the 2nd drafts i plan to reign in the ACs to align with bounded accuracy better. So that probably has some merit.

Bounded accuracy being the idea that even after level 20, a PCs armor class doesn't really improve massively? Good point.

So by 2nd drafts do you mean looking over each creature and tweaking them? Because for instance there seems to be big power differences between Garl and Bane, despite not a huge CR difference, so I'd assume you made Garl using newer ideas.

dave2008

Legend
Bounded accuracy being the idea that even after level 20, a PCs armor class doesn't really improve massively? Good point.

That is the idea. Though, now that I think about it some more, high attack bonuses could be an issue

So by 2nd drafts do you mean looking over each creature and tweaking them? Because for instance there seems to be big power differences between Garl and Bane, despite not a huge CR difference, so I'd assume you made Garl using newer ideas.

Not quite. I look over and tweak these first drafts now and again. There are some differences because my ideas on some things have changed, but all in all everything posted here is using the same general design philosophy. FYI, both Bane and Garl use the same design principles. They may appear at first glance to be big difference, but it is not as much as you think.

Bane DPR (simple): 6x172 = 1,032
Garl DPR (simple): 9x100 = 900

So not that much different

Now the 2nd drafts, will be a complete rework of the design principles: adding epic ranks (like divine rank), epic challenge (epic CR), etc., and using the "hardcore" design concepts I developed in my 5e Hardcore Monsters thread. When I do the 2nd drafts I will start a new thread.

Last edited:

Remove ads