D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

zingbobco000

Explorer
So do you still think Tharizdun should be a higher CR, and if so why? I am open to moving him (I already did once), I just need evidence/arguments for why.

This is just one idea, he is powerful enough to deceive four equivalents of solar angels, so yes, I understand that your definition of powerful is most likely different then "behind the scenes mastermind" person but still it's also a matter of power level to deceive, i.e. a 6th level character who focuses on deception is more powerful then that 1st level character who also focuses on deception.

dave2008

Legend
This is just one idea, he is powerful enough to deceive four equivalents of solar angels, so yes, I understand that your definition of powerful is most likely different then "behind the scenes mastermind" person but still it's also a matter of power level to deceive, i.e. a 6th level character who focuses on deception is more powerful then that 1st level character who also focuses on deception.

Yes, I think whatever his CR he is a master deceiver/ manipulator. Not sure how that translates to CR, but I will think of something :)

UnknownDyson

Explorer
The crystal in the ebon flame is an epic tier +5 impliment that has necrotic abilities and has the ability to wipe creatures that it destroys from existence, mechanically if a character wielding the crystal in the ebon flame reduces you to 0 hit points the target is destroyed with no hope of resurrection by any means. The artifact likes nihilistic actions and wants you to pursue items and places associated with "the chained god" so that you may free him from his prison. The item is a two part artifact which was at some point cursed by the gods to thwart the will of Tharizdun. If I recall correctly you choose whether you want to listen to the jailor of the artifact or the true artifact and aid Tharizdun. Its a 4e item which could be found on the character generator which I no longer have access too. I can't seem to find it online.

There was another item called the madness spiral, don't remember what that does though.

dave2008

Legend
The crystal in the ebon flame is an epic tier +5 impliment that has necrotic abilities and has the ability to wipe creatures that it destroys from existence, mechanically if a character wielding the crystal in the ebon flame reduces you to 0 hit points the target is destroyed with no hope of resurrection by any means. The artifact likes nihilistic actions and wants you to pursue items and places associated with "the chained god" so that you may free him from his prison. The item is a two part artifact which was at some point cursed by the gods to thwart the will of Tharizdun. If I recall correctly you choose whether you want to listen to the jailor of the artifact or the true artifact and aid Tharizdun. Its a 4e item which could be found on the character generator which I no longer have access too. I can't seem to find it online.

There was another item called the madness spiral, don't remember what that does though.

Thank you, that is helpful. Was there a description for the other parts? Do you know the source for crystal in the ebon flame. I don't DNDInsider anymore so I don't have access to the character and monster builders anymore. However, if you know what they where published in I am sure I could track them down.

zingbobco000

Explorer
I got this from the FR wiki, it's the rankings of all the gods and goddesses from the Deities and Demigods book:

Chauntea 19
Corellon Larethian 19
Horus-Re 19
Moradin 19
Garl Glittergold 18
Mystra 18
Shar 18
Silvanus 18
Torm 18
Yondalla 18
Bane 17
Cyric 17
Kossuth 17
Lathander 17
Tempus 17
Gruumsh 16
Kelemvor 16
Oghma 16
Sune 16
Talos 16
Lolth 16
Kurtulmak 15
Selûne 15
Tymora 14
Ilmater 13
Mielikki 13
Thoth 13
Gond 12
Nephthys 12
Umberlee 12
Helm 11
Azuth 10
Bahamut 10
Tiamat 10
Sardior 10
Malar 10
Mask 10
Hathor 8
Eilistraee 7
Waukeen 7
Kiaransalee 6
Shaundakul 6
Uthgar 6
Sebek 3

dave2008

Legend
I got this from the FR wiki, it's the rankings of all the gods and goddesses from the Deities and Demigods book:

Chauntea 19
Corellon Larethian 19
Horus-Re 19
Moradin 19
Garl Glittergold 18
Mystra 18
Shar 18
Silvanus 18
Torm 18
Yondalla 18
Bane 17
Cyric 17
Kossuth 17
Lathander 17
Tempus 17
Gruumsh 16
Kelemvor 16
Oghma 16
Sune 16
Talos 16
Lolth 16
Kurtulmak 15
Selûne 15
Tymora 14
Ilmater 13
Mielikki 13
Thoth 13
Gond 12
Nephthys 12
Umberlee 12
Helm 11
Azuth 10
Bahamut 10
Tiamat 10
Sardior 10
Malar 10
Mask 10
Hathor 8
Eilistraee 7
Waukeen 7
Kiaransalee 6
Shaundakul 6
Uthgar 6
Sebek 3

Cool - thank you very much! I don't think I agree weigh all of them, but it is helpful

UnknownDyson

Explorer
Crystal of Ebon Flame can be found in the artifacts section of The Plane Below. I got some minor details wrong, but its there if you want to take a look.

dave2008

Legend
Crystal of Ebon Flame can be found in the artifacts section of The Plane Below. I got some minor details wrong, but its there if you want to take a look.

Thank you, l've got that. Never looked at that section. I guess I will have to take a look. I think I will post a draft of Tharzifun next weekend. I would love to get your thoughts when it is up

dave2008

Legend

FYI,, I just found this wiki info on Tharzidun, "Although imprisoned, Tharizdun still has a degree of his original multiverse-threatening power: he is officially a Divine Rank 11 (out of 20) deity, as of Dragon #294. His holy symbols are a dark spiral rune and a two-tiered inverted ziggurat known as an obex. His holy number is 333."

So that would make him CR 33 or so in my ranking. Not sure if I will go with that or maybe he gets 3 stat blocks.
  1. Weakened from imprisonment: CR 33-34
  2. Normal full strength: CR 37-38
  3. Empowered w/ artifacts: CR 42-43

That would be a lot of work for one god, but might be worth it.

UnknownDyson

Explorer
Hey, I love what you are doing with the stat blocks. I thought the stats for Graz'zt and Demogorgon in Oota were slightly too weak. Personally I think the 3 stat blocks is a great idea, but I think to avoid doing needless work and driving yourself crazy just give him the same abilities all around but make his abilities more potent for the 3 stages. Maybe adding one unique ability for stage 2 and 3. Just a suggestion.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases