Official List of AL Legal Creatures for Spells/Abilities

kalani

First Post
Cross-Post from the WotC Forums
As per the recent FAQ update, the DM basic rules is only allowed if no legal targets are present in the Allowed Rules sources. In an effort to save time, this thread is intended as a repository for all legal creature options for use with spells/features. Alternatively, you can view this list (sorted by Spell/Ability) on the DndAL FAQ

The following Spell require use of the Monster Manual
  • Create Undead: ghast

The following Spells/Features require use of the DM Basic Rules

• Features: Elemental Wildshape
  • Spells: awaken (only if plant), conjure celestial, conjure elemental, conjure minor elementals, create undead (ghoul), and planar ally (only if celestial or elemental, as the Imp and Quazit are in the PHB)

All other Spells/Features are limited to the options in the PHB/MM.

• This includes (but is not limited to) polymorph, shapechange, find steed, true polymorph, conjure woodland beings (sprite only), conjure fey, gate, wildshape, etc.
  • Sadly, this means nobody will be shapechanging into a dragon as there are no dragons (other than pseudodragon) in the PHB/MM Appendix A.

Complete List of AL Legal Creatures (by source)
Familiars

• PHB: bat, cat, frog, hawk, poisonous snake, owl, rat, raven, imp, pseudodragon, quazit, sprite,
  • MM: crab, lizard, octopus, quipper, seahorse, spider, weasel.
​Familiars in italics are only available to Chain Warlocks.

Beasts (PHB Appendix D)

• Beasts (CR 0): bat, cat,frog, hawk (falcon), owl, rat, raven
  • Beasts (CR 1/8): mastiff, mule, poisonous snake,
  • Beasts (CR 1/4): boar, constrictor snake, panther, riding horse, wolf
  • Beasts (CR 1/2): black bear, crocodile, reef shark, warhorse
  • Beasts (CR 1): brown bear, dire wolf, giant eagle, giant spider, lion, tiger
Beasts (MM Appendix A) - All of the beasts from the PHB, plus the following:

• Beasts (CR 0): baboon, badger, crab, deer, eagle, giant fire beetle, goat, hyena, jackal, lizard, octopus, quipper, scorpion, seahorse, spider, vulture
  • Beasts (CR 1/8): blood hawk, camel, flying snake, giant crab, giant rat, giant weasel, pony,
  • Beasts (CR 1/4): axe beak, draft horse, elk, giant badger, giant bat, giant centipede, giant frog, giant lizard, giant owl, giant poisonous snake, giant wolf spider,
  • Beasts (CR 1/2): ape, giant goat, giant seahorse, giant wasp,
  • Beasts (CR 1): giant eagle, giant hyena, giant octopus, giant toad, giant vulture, tiger
  • Beasts (CR 2): giant boar, giant constrictor snake, giant elk, hunter shark, polar bear, rhinocerous, saber-toothed tiger,
  • Beasts (CR 3): giant scorpion, killer whale,
  • Beasts (CR 4): elephant,
  • Beasts (CR 5): giant crocodile, giant shark,
  • Beasts (CR 6): mammoth
  • Beasts (CR 7): giant ape
Beasts in italics have a flying/swimming speed (relevant for wildshape restrictions).

Fey

• PHB: sprite (CR 1/4)
  • ​The Blink Dog (DM Basic Rules, CR1/4) is not legal. Players summoning CR 1/4 fey must choose the sprite as their only option.
Undead

• PHB: Skeleton, Zombie
  • DM Basic Rules: Ghoul, mummy, wight (create undead)
  • Monster Manual: Ghast (create undead)
Celestials

• DM Basic Rules: Pegasus
Elementals

• DM Basic Rules: Air Elemental, Earth Elemental, Fire Elemental, Gargoyle, Water Elemental.
  • When casting conjure minor elementals, your only CR 2 option is the Gargoyle.
Plants

• DM Basic Rules: Awakened Shrub, Awakened Tree
Fiend

• PHB: Imp, Quazit.
  • Characters summoning fiends with planar ally are stuck with Imps and Quazits as their only options.

Last edited:

Steve_MND

First Post
Thank you for copying this over to here as well, Kalani, this (and some of the other compilation threads over on the WotC forum) has been a great resource for us.

kalani

First Post
Ironically, I never considered adding my own resources to the list. I will add it to the list of community resources tomorrow.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Kalani, please edit the original post to remove black text. It fails to display well on those using the Legacy skin on EN World.

Byakugan

First Post
drat! I can never remember to bring a copy of the DM basic rules with me...I just have to wing it when players spend dozens of hours developing their characters then try to summon stuff that their PHB says they can summon.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases