D&D 4E The Book of Five Traditions: A 4e Monk Handbook

shieldfoss

First Post
Comparisons:

gythka and chatkcha 2.png

MwaO

Adventurer
Yup, seems to be broken in general for Thri-Kreen and they didn't fix it for any use of it. Not much to be done because they're not updating it - just something to be aware of when you run into it. Edited the Thri-Kreen text to add this to it:
"Just be aware that Thri-Kreen Weapon Master is broken in Character Builder and you'll have to manually fix it - that's not truly a horrible thing really - you likely want two weapons anyway in Heroic and certainly do by Paragon for Starblade Flurry"

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Found the error.

Compare Thri-Kreen Weapon Mastery with Valenar Weapon Training.

First the rules text, then the XML implementation (just so you can see they should be identical, but are not:

The wording in the short descriptions:
Gain proficiency, +2/+3/+4 (by tier) to damage with scimitars, double scimitars, and falchions
Proficiency and +2/+3/+4 bonus to damage with gythka and chatkcha.

Logically identical wording.

Now the code:

Code:
    <RulesElement name="Valenar Weapon Training" type="Feat" internal-id="ID_FMP_FEAT_2794" source="Dragon Magazine 385" revision-date="8/27/2010 12:20:38 PM">
        <Prereqs> Elf </Prereqs>
        <print-prereqs> Elf </print-prereqs>
        <specific name="Tier"> Heroic </specific>
        <specific name="Short Description"> Gain proficiency, +2/+3/+4 (by tier) to damage with scimitars, double scimitars, and falchions </specific>
        <specific name="Special" />
        <specific name="type" />
        <specific name="Associated Power Info" />
        <specific name="Associated Powers" />
        <rules>
            <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_PROFICIENCY_WEAPON_PROFICIENCY_(SCIMITAR)" type="Proficiency" />
            <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_PROFICIENCY_WEAPON_PROFICIENCY_(DOUBLE_SCIMITAR)" type="Proficiency" />
            <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_PROFICIENCY_WEAPON_PROFICIENCY_(FALCHION)" type="Proficiency" />
            <statadd name="Valenar Weapon Training" value="+2" />
            <statadd name="Scimitar:damage" value="+Valenar Weapon Training" type="Feat" />
            <statadd name="Double Scimitar:damage" value="+Valenar Weapon Training" type="Feat" />
            <statadd name="Falchion:damage" value="+Valenar Weapon Training" type="Feat" />
            <statadd name="Valenar Weapon Training" value="+1" requires="Paragon Tier" />
            <statadd name="Valenar Weapon Training" value="+1" requires="Epic Tier" />
        </rules>
You gain proficiency and a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with scimitars, double scimitars, and falchions. The bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.
    </RulesElement>
Code:
    <RulesElement name="Thri-Kreen Weapon Master" type="Feat" internal-id="ID_FMP_FEAT_3768" source="Dragon Magazine 411">
        <Prereqs> Thri-kreen race </Prereqs>
        <print-prereqs> Thri-kreen </print-prereqs>
        <Flavor> The sacred weapons of the thri-kreen are like deadly extensions of your body. </Flavor>
        <specific name="Tier" />
        <specific name="Short Description"> Proficiency and +2/+3/+4 bonus to damage with gythka and chatkcha. </specific>
        <specific name="Special" />
        <specific name="type" />
        <specific name="Associated Power Info" />
        <specific name="Associated Powers" />
        <rules>
            <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_PROFICIENCY_WEAPON_PROFICIENCY_(GYTHKA)" type="Proficiency" />
            <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_PROFICIENCY_WEAPON_PROFICIENCY_(CHATKCHA)" type="Proficiency" />
            <statadd name="Thri-kreen Weapon Master (Gythka)" value="+2" />
            <statadd name="Thri-kreen Weapon Master (Gythka)" value="+1" requires="Paragon Tier" />
            <statadd name="Thri-kreen Weapon Master (Gythka)" value="+1" requires="Epic Tier" />
            <statadd name="Gythka,weapon:damage" value="+Thri-kreen Weapon Master (Gythka)" type="Feat" />
            <statadd name="Thri-kreen Weapon Master (Chatkcha)" value="+2" />
            <statadd name="Thri-kreen Weapon Master (Chatkcha)" value="+1" requires="Paragon Tier" />
            <statadd name="Thri-kreen Weapon Master (Chatkcha)" value="+1" requires="Epic Tier" />
            <statadd name="Gythka,weapon:damage" value="+Thri-kreen Weapon Master (Chatkcha)" type="Feat" />
        </rules>
    You gain proficiency with the gythka and the chatkcha.  Additionally, you gain a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with these weapons.  This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.
    </RulesElement>

Not quite identical! In particular, notice:

<statadd name="Scimitar:damage" value="+Valenar Weapon Training" type="Feat" />
<statadd name="Gythka,weapon:damage" value="+Thri-kreen Weapon Master (Gythka)" type="Feat" />
<statadd name="Gythka,weapon:damage" value="+Thri-kreen Weapon Master (Chatkcha)" type="Feat" />

The scimitar is how it's supposed to be.

The first line, for Gythka, accidentally only adds to weapon damage.

The second line, for Chatkcha, accidentally adds to Gythka damage! And also only to weapon damage.

Now that's something easily fixed for me because I can just fix my local .part file, but do you know if there's somewhere I can report the bug to?

Well you can make a .part file that over writes that element and distribute it?

I plan on doing so with my Martial Power III and I would include your fix with it (since it relates)

MwaO

Adventurer
Great Resource! Can you combine Quick Draw with Flurry of Blows and Starblade fury, so I don't mess up my staff fighting techniques

Thanks, it would be up to your DM:
Yes: you're making an attack with a dagger as part of Flurry of Blows
No: Flurry of Blows is not a weapon power, even modified by the feat

If you're using a staff, you should try to multi-class into a class with Staff proficiency as an implement. Then you can wield a staff with one hand and put a dagger in the other.

thejadegiant

First Post
Don't need to multi-class, the monk can use any weapon he is proficient with as an implement.
I've done the staff in one hand and dagger in the other before. It always felt like meta gaming, anyway the benefits I'll get from Staff Fighting outweigh or equal the dagger.

MwaO

Adventurer
Don't need to multi-class, the monk can use any weapon he is proficient with as an implement.
I've done the staff in one hand and dagger in the other before. It always felt like meta gaming, anyway the benefits I'll get from Staff Fighting outweigh or equal the dagger.

Two issues:
You're proficient with staff being used as a weapon, which then lets you use it as an implement. But in order for you to have proficiency due to it being a weapon, you need to wield it two-handed. So you can't wield it in one unless your DM says you can.

Staff Fighting isn't listed as a feat choice for Monks for very good reasons. It isn't very good for them. You have no real need for off-hand weapon attacks and a +1 Shielding Blade Dagger or +1 Rhythm Blade Dagger gains you most of the benefit(depending on rulings on Rhythm Blade) without spending a feat. And if you have a choice between a random dagger+Starblade Flurry or wielding a staff two-handed, the 1st is almost always going to be the right choice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases