D&D 5E [GUIDE] Playing Dice with the Universe: A Slant Guide to Wild-Magic Sorcerer

tuxedoraptor

First Post
advice: Don't ever write a guide if you use the word dorf or elfieboots, because I felt like vomiting after I saw dorf, the guide is unreadable as well, please use correct terms as well, I mean no insult or harm to you as a person.
Only telling you that guides should be professionally written and constructed.

Last edited:

Thank you, tuxedoraptor, for your deeply considered and constructive critique. The time that you devoted to understanding the project of this piece and the decisions I made to effect the desired tone and style is manifest. I will take your "reccomend"-ations regarding spelling into consideration, and I hope your Tim Conway-induced nausea soon abates.

Last edited:

famousringo

First Post
Any secrets as to how to get more chances of Wild Surges to go off that the average person might not think of?

Well, there's really only three ways:

1) Use Tides of Chaos at every opportunity
2) Cast lots of spells
3) Beg your DM to give you more surges

That last one really counts. Make sure your DM understands how Tides of Chaos works and that you actually want more surges. He may think he's doing you a favour by reducing the chaos when you really just want to unleash it.

Edit: And as the guide mentions throughout, one of the ways to maximize 1) is to cast spells with attack rolls you can burn Tides of Chaos on. So throw Firebolts instead of Acid Splashes, Ice Knife instead of Magic Missile.

Last edited:

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Any secrets as to how to get more chances of Wild Surges to go off that the average person might not think of?

Our DM increases odds the higher the spell level is. Usually half of spell cast, rounded up. IE 5th level spell, a roll of 3 or less causes a surge

2) Cast lots of spells

Yep, these are the keys. Getting the DM to house rule is the only way to affect the d20 roll directly, so it's the most powerful option, though perhaps the hardest to get done.

Using tides of chaos as often as possible allows you to skip the d20 roll to get directly to surges, but it still requires the DM to play along. Use tides of chaos on saves, or with spells or cantrips that require an attack roll--with quickened spell, you can cast the cantrip and then a surge-triggering spell on the same turn.

Casting lots of spells is fairly obvious. Remember that reaction spells (shield, counterspell) give you a chance to trigger surges on other characters' turns as well.

Lejaun

First Post
Wild Mages need another outlet to garner more surges. Shame there wasn't a spell or something of the like that would make a required roll.

OB1

Jedi Master
New Feat: Wildstyle Prerequisite: you must have the Tides of Chaos Class feature. Description: You release wild magic when using your sorcery points, whenever you use a sorcery point roll in the magic surge table. Additionally when casting a spell, roll a d20, if the number is equal to or less than the spell level, roll on the surge table. Finally, you can use a bonus action to recharge tides of Chaos, when you do so, you also surge.

mellored

Legend

2) Cast lots of spells
4) don't die. Armor, con, and friendly life cleric / bard / paladin. Paticularly since your surges are all centered on you, and you want to be near enemies.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases