D&D 5E [GUIDE] Playing Dice with the Universe: A Slant Guide to Wild-Magic Sorcerer

Ted Bacalso

First Post
Thanks Cognomen for the guide, and for further advice! Just bought the tabletop and my friends and I are enjoying it a lot more than we initially thought we would :D

imdeadagain

Explorer
I...... Hate...... Wild..... Magic...... Sorcerers...... Hence I have one in each in the 2 parties I DM for.... They are actually too powerful imho, the table looks bad but it isn't, particularly if you have a player with the proverbial 'luck of the irish' on his rolls, always seems to get his spell slots back!

famousringo

First Post
I...... Hate...... Wild..... Magic...... Sorcerers...... Hence I have one in each in the 2 parties I DM for.... They are actually too powerful imho, the table looks bad but it isn't, particularly if you have a player with the proverbial 'luck of the irish' on his rolls, always seems to get his spell slots back!

Easy fix: Deny them all surges.

If that doesn't make them miserable enough, add more encounters per day.

Zene

First Post
An interesting question came up at my table, and after searching Sage Advice / errata, I'm not sure this has been addressed. Thought this thread would be a good place to ask.

-Wild surge roll can trigger "after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher". Say a wild sorcerer picked up a magic item that allowed him to cast a spell that was also on the sorcerer list -- for example wand of magic missiles. Could his casting of Magic Missile --fueled by the item instead of his own spell slots-- trigger a surge? Wording seems to indicate yes.
-Would it matter whether the sorcerer had selected Magic Missile as one of his sorcerer spells known or not?

Personally, I'm inclined to say that based on the wording, it could in fact trigger a surge. It does open a bit of a can of worms with a potential 1st-level sorcerer getting, say, a ring of jumping (allows at-will casting of Jump as a bonus action) and surging every turn. But since surge rolls are at DM discretion anyway, that could easily be controlled.

mellored

Legend
An interesting question came up at my table, and after searching Sage Advice / errata, I'm not sure this has been addressed. Thought this thread would be a good place to ask.

-Wild surge roll can trigger "after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher". Say a wild sorcerer picked up a magic item that allowed him to cast a spell that was also on the sorcerer list -- for example wand of magic missiles. Could his casting of Magic Missile --fueled by the item instead of his own spell slots-- trigger a surge? Wording seems to indicate yes.
-Would it matter whether the sorcerer had selected Magic Missile as one of his sorcerer spells known or not?

Personally, I'm inclined to say that based on the wording, it could in fact trigger a surge. It does open a bit of a can of worms with a potential 1st-level sorcerer getting, say, a ring of jumping (allows at-will casting of Jump as a bonus action) and surging every turn. But since surge rolls are at DM discretion anyway, that could easily be controlled.
Magic missile from a wand does not counts as a sorcerer spell.

Zene

First Post
Magic missile from a wand does not counts as a sorcerer spell.

Well it's definitely on Phb p 209 under the heading "Sorcerer Spells" -- are you saying it's not considered a sorcerer spell just because it's cast from an item instead of a person?

mellored

Legend
Well it's definitely on Phb p 209 under the heading "Sorcerer Spells" -- are you saying it's not considered a sorcerer spell just because it's cast from an item instead of a person?
It's also under "wizard spells" and "bard spells". For it to be sorcerer spell, you need to get it from the sorcerer list, not from the wizard list, or an item. (It would also use Cha as your casting stat, not Int, or a flat bonus).

Though I really like the idea of a jumping wild magic that just hops around causing random effects. I'll add that to my campaign, as a monster.

Zene

First Post
It's also under "wizard spells" and "bard spells". For it to be sorcerer spell, you need to get it from the sorcerer list, not from the wizard list, or an item. (It would also use Cha as your casting stat, not Int, or a flat bonus).

Ah, that makes sense. (I'm curious, is it actually documented that way somewhere that I just missed?)

mellored

Legend
Ah, that makes sense. (I'm curious, is it actually documented that way somewhere that I just missed?)
Hmm.... possibly in the multiclassing section. Though it's certainly heavily implied in each of the casting sections, as well as bards magic secrets.

Also note that spell slots are universal. So there is no "paladin spell slot". This was clarified in the errata.

Zene

First Post
Hmm.... possibly in the multiclassing section. Though it's certainly heavily implied in each of the casting sections, as well as bards magic secrets.

Also note that spell slots are universal. So there is no "paladin spell slot". This was clarified in the errata.

Good point, those references to "for you, this is considered a bard spell" points toward that interpretation.

Yeah I get that spell slots are universal, not sure what your paladin spell slot comment is referring to.

Remove ads