The ball explodes and then what?

Pigeon

First Post
My players are currently poking around a Dark Creeper city trying to find out why the Dark Creepers have suddenly started venturing up onto the surface world and stealing a bunch of very powerful magical items.

What they have yet to find out is that a mind flayer has charmed the leaders of the city into ordering there subjects to find magic artifacts, and then destroy them in order that divine and arcane magic is made weaker, therefore making their psionics becomes more powerful.

The artifacts are being destroyed by a magic draining sphere that is in the heart of the Dark Creeper city (this sphere is just one of a number of such devices all around the game world).

My players being who they are probably likely to attempt to destroy the sphere by hitting it with large hammers. Has anyone got any ideas about what should happen if they decide to take such a route. My initial thoughts are for the sphere to explode and release all the magic in one huge burst. I'd like to keep them alive if possible, and to avoid the sulks that go along with permanently turning them into raccoons or the like. Teleportation is always an option I suppose.

Another interesting proposition is that the characters could take on the atributes of the things that the sphere had absorbed, however I don't want to make them too powerful.

The group is currently mainly 4th level.

Thanks for any help.

Esiminar

Explorer
Such a device when destroyed could release a Disjunction cantered upon itself. Or if you wish imbue random objects in the vicinity with powers it has consumed, or even both one after another, rendering all magic items in the area mundane and then imbuing them with random properties.

Destil

Explorer
The magical shockwave damages the normal fabric of space and weakens the bounderys between the planes, throwing the PCs into the Astral / Etheral / Shadow plane as a result. For a grouyp of low-levels finding their way back to the Prime should be a good adventure.

Last edited:

Pigeon

First Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm very tempted by the all magic items drained and then reassigned magic properties" idea. In fact I'm tempted to extend it to include everyday items that happen to be hanging around the pace - a +3 flaming keen bookcase anybody?

I'm also tempted to give my players the ability to cast a randomly determined spell once a day as if a 1st level sorcerer.

I'm going to work on the session tonight, so I'll make my mind up then.

Again, thanks

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases