The official 2015 Doctor Who (with spoilers for aired episodes only) thread

delericho

Legend
"Nearing its end" is a usefully vague term.

Plus, they do now have a habit of one Doctor-lite and/or Companion-lite episode each year, and they've just established that River has been in the habit of borrowing and returning the TARDIS at various points. So, if they wanted they could bring her back for one of their Doctor-lite episodes - show him starting some adventure, show her borrowing the TARDIS, and go from there. Indeed, there's no reason they need to confine themselves to the current Doctor when doing that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It may be the last time River sees the Doctor. But it's time travel show. He can still go see younger versions of her.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It may be the last time River sees the Doctor. But it's time travel show. He can still go see younger versions of her.

Specifically, she says that there are stories that their last night together was on that planet. And that night is 24 years long. So, it doesn't even have to be the last time for either of their perspectives, really. Both have plenty of time to pop in and out.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think it was pretty clear that the Doctor spent those 24 years there with her, left, and then she took the Library job. She mentioned that her diary was nearing its end, and he gave her the sonic screwdriver from that episode.

I think it is pretty clear that they implied it, but didn't *explicitly* say that, thus leaving themselves a pretty wide opening, to either have her never show up again, or to have her show up again if they really want to.

It is a time travel show with pretty loose logic. They haven't felt tied down in the past, I don't see why they'd feel so now. Their only real limitation is the actress aging out of the role.

Ryujin

Legend

And there's still the hints that she may still be alive and kicking, in some way, that were dropped to Matt Smith's Doctor (Spoilers!).

Staffan

Legend
In this season the overarching plot was how Clara was flying off the rails, The Doctor along with her. Not as obvious as in previous seasons, but definitely there, and resolved in the final episode. Sort of.

Sure, there was a character arc. But there wasn't a Big Plot Point that everything pointed toward, like with the cracks in the universe threatening to unravel all of existence. Or, I guess with this season, if they had been making a big deal about the Hybrid and/or Gallifrey's return all season.

Remove ads