D&D 5E [GUIDE] Into the Woods We Go: The Ranger Guide

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Hunter's Mark is sharply less valuable against multiple enemies. The same type of battle where Zephyr Strike excels with the added mobility (esp. for melee). That's not what I'd call situational.

Disagree, it's very situational. You only need it when you can't hit something you would like to hit. Good spell and nice to have but it's very situational on when it will be good.

Why exactly is hunters mark worse on multiple enemies than a single enemy? It's not like you are using that bonus action for anything else anyways (unless you are horizon walker or something).

FrogReaver

With 60% chance to hit and 2 attacks.

Hex
2d6*60% = 4.2
Horizon walker
1d8*84% = 3.78

Horizon loses 0.42 damage and 60' range but gains 4 absorb elements, a healing spirit, and an extra spell choice.
Not needing to spend spell slots is very good. Though the low range hurts a bit.
Also, they stacks. So if you start battle 90' away and use hex the first round, then you can use planar warrior the next. Probably not the best choice.

TWF
1d6+4*60% = 4.5
Horizon Walker + dualist and shield.
1d8*84% + 4 * .6 = 6.18

+1.68 damage and +2 AC.
Another solid upgrade. Though a bit harder to swap to a bow with a shield.

So horizon walker basically is the defacto caster ranger with typically bad first level spells?

FrogReaver

Also when comparing horizon walkers ability you must look at what other level 3 ranger ability you would be taking to make the comparison fair.

As it stands you are looking at a ranger with hunters mark and no level 3 ability and comparing to a ranger with a level 3 ability. What happens if we look at him vs the hunter ranger or the gloomstalker ranger?

mellored

Legend
Also when comparing horizon walkers ability you must look at what other level 3 ranger ability you would be taking to make the comparison fair.

As it stands you are looking at a ranger with hunters mark and no level 3 ability and comparing to a ranger with a level 3 ability. What happens if we look at him vs the hunter ranger or the gloomstalker ranger?
Of course, but I needed to figure out what it gave over the baseline.

For gloom stalker with archery style...
2d8+4 * 70% = 9.1 each battle. With some good options to boost it later.

So horizon walker basically is the defacto caster ranger with typically bad first level spells?
seems best as mobile sword and board, and using spells to heal. Sort of like a paladin.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Of course, but I needed to figure out what it gave over the baseline.

For gloom stalker with archery style...
2d8+4 * 70% = 9.1 each battle. With some good options to boost it later.

seems best as mobile sword and board, and using spells to heal. Sort of like a paladin.

Actually you are right. Horizon walker fixes a lot of issues with melee rangers if you just ignore the hunters mark spell. It's just I still don't know what I would ever use my level 1 spell slots for with the ranger if I wasn't using Hunter's Mark. Any ideas?

mellored

Legend
Actually you are right. Horizon walker fixes a lot of issues with melee rangers if you just ignore the hunters mark spell. It's just I still don't know what I would ever use my level 1 spell slots for with the ranger if I wasn't using Hunter's Mark. Any ideas?
Absorb elements and... maybe ensareing strike? Could be good to hit and teleport. Fog cloud has some uses.

Or dip for life cleric 1 and use goodberry. Comes with heavy armor as well, and more slots later.
Or warlock for shield? That will keep you tanky. And you can snag booming blade to combine with warcaster.

renevq

Explorer

I just made a sword-and-board Horizon Walker character to play in a campaign that starts in a couple of weeks; level 3. I really, really like the archetype, it's so... evocative. I'm going to be using Zephyr Strike, Goodberry and Absorb Elements as my level 1 spells. We'll see how it goes.

FrogReaver

Absorb elements and... maybe ensareing strike? Could be good to hit and teleport. Fog cloud has some uses.

Or dip for life cleric 1 and use goodberry. Comes with heavy armor as well, and more slots later.
Or warlock for shield? That will keep you tanky. And you can snag booming blade to combine with warcaster.

At least until later I don't see absorb elements coming up all that often. Ensnaring strike is not good for a melee ranger imo, especially not when you have a bonus action extra damage ability that doesn't cost a spell.

Multiclassing is okay after level 5. Though horizon walker is actually one I wouldn't want to delay as his level 11 ability is cool and overall the higher level abilities aren't bad. Anyways I don't see much to spend a rangers level 1 spells on from level 1 to 5. Maybe hunters mark the bbeg type enemies since it won't need switched and then have both? Not a great solution but its at least something. Just save them all for cure wounds?

FrogReaver

Maybe Snare from the new xgte? It's a nice out of combat rangery spell. Could be used to prepare for a long rest etc. Booby trapping the area is nice lol

FrogReaver

I just made a sword-and-board Horizon Walker character to play in a campaign that starts in a couple of weeks; level 3. I really, really like the archetype, it's so... evocative. I'm going to be using Zephyr Strike, Goodberry and Absorb Elements as my level 1 spells. We'll see how it goes.

I still don't like zephyr strike much. I'd take it as it's good to have when u need it but shouldn't be needed much.

Don't get me wrong I really like the flavor of horizon walker. They make a better melee ranger IMO. I guess their benefit should probably be viewed early as having spells left over to heal with so they can actually susain their hp for melee combat. That's not a bad early benefit I guess.

Remove ads