D&D 5E [GUIDE] Blade, Book, and Chain: the Warlock Guide

mellored

Legend
I'd definitely challenge Witch Bolt being rated red. By level 9, that's 5d12 per round to the target for a minute. No save. For rolling one spell attack. Red?
That’s not what the spell says.

It's probably what it was intended to say, but as written, it’s only the initial damage that scales.

pdegan2814

First Post
I'd definitely challenge Witch Bolt being rated red. By level 9, that's 5d12 per round to the target for a minute. No save. For rolling one spell attack. Red?

Go back and re-read the spell text, at higher levels only the initial damage scales up. The auto-damage on subsequent rounds remains at 1d12. Yes, it's still a big hit in that first round, but it requires Concentration which means you'll lose spells like Hex, Hold Person etc. to cast it.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
In addition to what the above said, it's rarely going to be for a minute since getting total cover or being far enough away ends it early.

Your target can literally turn a corner and your spell ends.

Nikioko

First Post
It is a question? :)

I was just curious if there were going to be any updates to reflect Xanathar's, etc....

I am currenty playing a Celestial Warlock and this helped a lot. If you are interested, I give you a quick overview on my built:

Race: Half-elf (Tiefling and Dragonborn at not allowed by the GM since these races are too much stigmatized to work without getting into trouble in the gaming world. And hands down: who is really able to play those races convincingly?)
Background: Cultist (by Earl Geier from "What came before") - Proficiency in Deception and Stealth as well as Tool Proficiency with Disguise and Forgery Kit - great.
Alignment: NG (with havig a Solar as patron, I was about choosing LG, but I wanted to keep some loopholes)
Attributes: STR 8 (-1), DEX 14 (+2), CON 16 (+3), INT 10 (0), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 16 (+3)
Proficiencies: Stealth, Arcana, WIS, CHA, Deception, Persuasion
Features and Traits: Darkvision, Fey Ancestry, Otherworldly Patron (Solar), Pact Magic, Healing Light

Level 1:
Hit Points: 11
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Light, Poison Spray (should have dropped that for a utility cantrip), Sacred Flame
1st Level Spells: Cure Wounds, Hex

Level 2:
Hit Points: 19
Eldritch Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Armor of Shadow (the GM drops only few magical items and magical armour none at all, therefore AC 15 is the best I can get)
Cantrips: no change
1st Level Spells: + Armor of Agathys

Level 3:
Hit Points: 27
Features and Traits: Pact Boon (Pact of the Tome)
Eldritch Invocations: - Agonizing Blast (Armor of Shadows is more important), + Book of Ancient Secrets
Cantrips: + Green-Flame Blade, Shillelagh (both mandatory when forced into melee with more than one opponent), Shocking Grasp (to get off melee) - all Book of Shadows
1st Level Spells: Comprehend language, Identify (both rituals, no detect magic since this is covered by another party member)
2nd Level Spells: - Armor of Agathys, + Invisibility, Mirror Image

Level 4:
Hit Points: 35
Ability Score: +2 CHA (+4)
Cantrips: + Blade Ward
1st Level Spells: no change
2nd Level Spells: + Misty Step

Level 5:
Hit Points: 42
Eldritch Invocations: + Agonizing Blast (Eldritch Blast now 2*(d10+4) rocks!)
1st Level Spells: + some rituals I picked up
2nd Level Spells: - Misty Step
3rd Level Spells: + Dispel Magic, Fly

That's all so far I have come.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases