D&D 5E [GUIDE] Arrive on Time - A General Guide to Wizardry

NADRIGOL

Explorer
Meteors and Misty Step definitely on the list.
Spiritual Weapon would be unreal... But no feasible way to get it. Really makes Flaming Sphere look stupid though.
Hex and Hunters Mark would both be awesome... but I don't feel like giving up a level is worth it. If Ranger got Fighting Style at 1, and I could trade Fighter for it, then maybe. But if I'm putting in two levels, I'd rather it be in Fighter for Action Surge. Warlock also doesn't seem worth it...

NADRIGOL

Explorer
Looks good. To be honest, warcaster is probably not that big of a deal. You can free action stow / grab a weapon, so it really only gets in the way of your reaction spells.

Shield.

Also looking forward to using OA's with spells. Bard with Dissonant Whispers in the party... should be fun.

And the Advantage on Con saves will be important if I'm frontlining.

Each feature on it's own isn't critical. But they're each relevant enough to the style to make the feat worth it.

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Shield.

Also looking forward to using OA's with spells. Bard with Dissonant Whispers in the party... should be fun.

And the Advantage on Con saves will be important if I'm frontlining.

Each feature on it's own isn't critical. But they're each relevant enough to the style to make the feat worth it.

Yeah, that's legit.

Looks good. To be honest, warcaster is probably not that big of a deal. You can free action stow / grab a weapon, so it really only gets in the way of your reaction spells.
Reaction spells like Booming Blade are AWESOME for a tank's efficiency, arguably better than Sentinel. Allows you to spend your action Dodging while PCs do the killing, but you still deter enemies from bypassing you to hit the squishies. Advantage on Dex saves isn't bad either.

AC 26 plus Dodge is almost unhittable, and frequently the Shield isn't even needed. Very cheap to heal after combat, since per-round damage received is low.

Next time I make a tank, Warcaster is one of my top picks.

Which spells (or perhaps multiclass options) help the necromancer make the most of his animate dead damage boost? I think that accuracy would be the biggest problem, so effects that grant Advantage to the undead (like web or blindness) would be the biggest boost?

mellored

Legend
Which spells (or perhaps multiclass options) help the necromancer make the most of his animate dead damage boost? I think that accuracy would be the biggest problem, so effects that grant Advantage to the undead (like web or blindness) would be the biggest boost?
Crusader's mantle (+1d4 damage)
Fary fire (advantage).

Yes, Web is good. Otto's Irresistible Dance is good against legendary things, especially if you're using a Phantom Steed to mitigate the short range. Wall of Force is good too in a separate way, by letting you divide and conquer, having more time to spend giving loving attention to a particular foe.

Evard's Black Tentacles is in a sweet spot: more time to shoot, AoE damage to counteract swarms, advantage against big creatures. Small AoE though.

Crusader's Mantle is overrated for Necromancers You already have good damage per hit, especially with heavy crossbows. Don't turn it down if someone else is paying, but it's not exciting unless you're fighting vampires or other things with a weakness to radiant damage. Honestly I'd rather have Spike Growth on my side than Crusader's Mantle.

Book of Lost Spells has more spells for necromancers.

Last edited:

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Reaction spells like Booming Blade are AWESOME for a tank's efficiency, arguably better than Sentinel. Allows you to spend your action Dodging while PCs do the killing, but you still deter enemies from bypassing you to hit the squishies. Advantage on Dex saves isn't bad either.

AC 26 plus Dodge is almost unhittable, and frequently the Shield isn't even needed. Very cheap to heal after combat, since per-round damage received is low.

Next time I make a tank, Warcaster is one of my top picks.

I'm pretty unequipped to talk about viable tank strategies so I will take your word for it lol.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases