Howling Void AL module (spoilers)

Daern

Explorer
I ran the first half of this tonight as something thrown into a home game. I'm using it to direct the campaign toward the Princes dungeons.
Anyways, this is a totally gonzo adventure! Kenku sky boats! Demons! Balloon backpacks and wing capes! Realmslore Puzzles! Lots of good stuff. My group dug it.
The only thing that was a little wonky so far was the Library/Shadow Demon room. How long do players have to figure out the puzzle? Is it one guess per round? I just sorta gave it to them because they got 3 out of five right knowing nothing about the Realms.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Yes, the Howling Void is an amazing adventure. It's one of the few that I want to run again and again, just to see how different groups approach it.

[sblock]
In the Shadow Demon room, the time limit is until the demons crack the shield. The shield has AC 12 and 40 hit points, and you make regular attacks for the shadow demons on the shield each round until it cracks.

Characters can take the blows instead, but in that case you don't roll to hit the PC, but just assign damage.

There's no time limit if the demons are destroyed.
[/sblock]

Hope that helps!

Alphastream

Adventurer
Hi Daern!

I'm the author for the adventure and very glad that you enjoyed it! Thanks! I ran the classic Temple of Elemental Evil several times and I always felt the elemental nodes were a bit too much like "regular caves with temperature control and themed monsters". Even the 5E adventure, Princes of the Apocalypse can be a bit like that. I wanted this to feel really drenched in the element of air and to be a very fantastic place - completely different from what you encounter in a typical Expeditions adventure! I also wanted to have the chaotic principles of the element of air be the underpinning for the adventure. Many of the aspects of the adventure, including that you can't complete all of the adventure's encounters, reflect that chaotic basis.

I also thought chaos worked well with what I had read one of the admins say - that they wanted more of a sandbox feel for upcoming adventures. I took that as inspiration to have the encounters be a bit more open-ended, where how they play out will be based on the DM's interpretation. This is something that was once anthetical to my way of thinking. Most of my life as a DM I wanted very clear indications on how the adventure should play out. As I've aged I've enjoyed giving DMs more space. Here I wanted to get closer to giving you the ingredients and having you, the DM, run with them, though adjusting for the necessities of organized play (where we have to support new DMs and situations where a DM isn't fully prepared). At the very least, I think many of the encounters are evocative enough and have enough moving parts that a DM will make judgment calls while feeling supported by the adventure.

In this particular situation, Merric is on the money. I would hope that the DM would play up what is taking place, such that players find ways to stop that from happening. There are some spelled out options, but some tables have come up with creative solutions as well. If players happen to know everything - that's awesome and they win because they rock! In my experience players actually eat up some time (while having fun) trying to remember these bits of lore before making a guess. How long it takes in play is really up to you. I would say guesses don't take time, but finding the answers they don't know takes time.

Daern

Explorer
Hi Alpha, one of the reasons I ran this was because I played with you a time or two at Guardian Games when I lived in Oregon a while back. We had a great time! My group stuck to the Crystal Domes before flying out to battle the Cult.
I appreciate the full on fantasy of this module but it does have some ambiguities and issues that came up during play. In some ways its similar issues that come up in some of the more cosmic DCC modules, perhaps its a consequence of going big. You just have to handwave a lot of things.
I think the biggest challenge in the design of these kind of encounters is to have a theme and then make each challenge one that includes some sort of choice beyond dice rolling. In this way I thought it was better than the DCC mod "Court of Chaos, which was super evocative, but had fairly non-thematic challenges. My players were looking for a pattern in that one.
The Charity challenge was a great because it made players think about their own characters. Also fun to do the voice of an unsympathetic character.
The Realms Quiz in the Piety challenge was great because it encouraged some meta thinking. Our druid cast Wind Wall to keep the Shadow Demons away, and I just ruled that that worked well enough while the players dug into the questions.
The Compassion challenge was maybe the weakest because it was just a series of rolls, "see how hurt you get before you win", but it was epically cinematic, the damage has consequences in the final fight, and it had a great twist. Only one character touched the monk. We ran it quick. At the end I had the player switch character sheets with another random player. It was a couple who had to trade, so kinda cute. They played the final battle with each other's characters. My conceptual confusion there was this: How does completing the challenge ruin the ritual? It doesn't matter really, but it didn't make sense on my side of the screen.
Anyways, lots of fun. I recommend it for some over the top gonzo fantasy.

In case anyone is interested, here is the rough play recap I sent out to the players of my home game.
The heroes entered a place of peace and abnegation wracked by real and present chaos fear and violence.
A bitter old monk regained consciousness to revel in the suffering: "There will be more. Many of us have tired of the same old symbols of self-denial. Now we deny ourselves the air itself so that we can truly know the wind! Doesn't make sense to you? That's why its so perfect!"
A Cult of the Howling Hatred had abducted 4 monks and taken them to the uppermost tower of the uppermost monastery on the upper most mountain of the Graypeaks. Above this tower swirled the elemental chaos of Air itself, the domain of Yan Ci Bin. It was a massive blue egg swathed in cloud and lightning. A quartet of cocky cultists warned the heroes to retreat, blasting thunder at them when they did not. The druid went flying off the tower, but she became a small bird and flew straight up into the maelstrom, entering another world entirely.
Sir Dwarf and his surly Bard Halfling companion made short work of the rest and used their "War-wing Capes" to catch an updraft directly into the egg.
Within was a massive blue shell swirling with storm and floating cloud islands. Some had towers and temples, others had strange crystalline domes that shot yellow beams of light at a central Storm.
The heroes battled living suits of armor, and paid crow men to take them on their feather oared longship to the cloud islands. There they encountered test of their wits and of their souls. They rescued innocent monks who's life energies were being used to power the doomsday ritual that would bring "all of the Wind" to the world...
They stopped before Crystal Dome #3, waiting for reinforcements.
And lo, the Cosmic Egg devised by the cruel and capricious Cult of the Howling Hatred was shattered by the heroic interventions of the Elf-Dwarf Paladin Laden, mastery of the natural world of the Bear Lady druid, and the indomitable spirit of the newly arrived hobbit bard, called "Dogs", he who was never entirely sure why he was risking his life anyway.
The trio entered a third crystal dome where they discovered a dirty warrior who was very very confused, claiming that he was actually the other, a monk held fast upon a marble slab as his life energy was siphoned to power the Storm Gate that boiled in the center of the great Cosmic Egg. "I am he but no longer in my own body. I was meant to suffer for the greater good, the cleansing of the lands, but now I fear he is suffering for no good at all!"
Sir Laden bravely sought to free the tortured monk, experiencing a vision of a flying mountaintop, a circling of vultures and a fierce elven woman in flowing white robes and angelic wings who ordered him to claim his mount if he was to join the Cult of the True Wind! He did so, but not without enduring many wounds from the cruel beak of the vulture.
Returning to the crystal dome and the crumbled marble block, Laden discovered that he had changed bodies once again! He and the hobbit had switched!
Exiting the dome, the sharp eyed Laden/Dogs spied a second feather-oared longship floating from the Tower Cloud to the very center of the Storm Gate. With great haste they ran to their own birdman ruddered ship and sailed in hot pursuit. The ships crashed into each other and battle was joined!
Stormgale "Gail" the Ritual Master had already begun to channel the awesome power of the dimension of air through her glowing body. She floated above her ship and unleashed a bolt of lightening that revealed the skeletal forms of the heroes. The lieutenant Bloodwind created a Gust of Wind that blew Sir Laden right off the boat, but he controlled his War Wing Cloak well and swooped around. The heroes responded with mighty spells and swords, turning the lieutenant into blood in the wind, and directing Ice Storms and Moonbeams at the Storming Gale who finally completed her transformation into a harmless zephyr.
A harrowing escape on the flying ship ended in a crash landing in the muddy courtyard of the Monastery of the Four Winds. The monks rewarded the heroes with bluestone pendants. They traveled slowly back to the city of the Grey Citadel where they were feted yet again by Duke Angus, and much carousing ended in further gifts for the heroes, not least was that of the Enchantress of the Citadel, who brought to Sir Laden a Blue Egg of Re-Creation. "You can never regain your original state, when you were a half-elf, but you may again change your form. This egg, if powered by great chaotic energy, like the Storm Gate you recently closed, will allow you to switch forms with another. It is up to your own conscience whither you shall take such an opportune moment."

Alphastream

Adventurer
My conceptual confusion there was this: How does completing the challenge ruin the ritual? It doesn't matter really, but it didn't make sense on my side of the screen.

Awesome recount! Do let me know if you make it back to Portland!

It absolutely is about DMs making calls. The more sandbox an adventure gets, the more the DM has to decide what would be fun for the table. As a DM I never worry about challenge, because I'm happy to give one time and take the next... come up with a good idea and you bypass danger, but I might make the next encounter's monsters hit harder so you end up with the right feel challenge-wise. There is no "reality" to an adventure's challenge level except whatever is cool for the table.

For the challenges, the concept is that the cultists are corrupting the will of the monks. Their corrupted thoughts are empowering the ritual. But, that same process (and their training) allows the monks' minds to be able to reach out to the characters subconsciously and create these visions. The response of the characters to the visions can free the monks, because it reminds the captured monks of what matters. Think of it as the monks being too weak to resist the corruption until the characters show them how to do the right thing. Does that make sense? And then, how often this succeeds has an impact on the ritual because it draws upon less power for opening the portal.

I ran this recently at an Expeditions session and was not a fan. I found that the narrative was hard to convey, track and progress in just 4 hours (time limit for the event and supposedly the adventure). I like what it was trying to do but pulling it off from start to finish with players who have never played together and have no previous context for it (no one had played the precursor mods) was frustrating as a DM. If I had the full 8 hours this appears to of been written for, then it would probably work.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
It's good to see you still around and gaming Horus! We used to have great chats in the channel but then I thought you had given up gaming. Ive yet to run Howling Void myself but from my initial read I wouldnt even try to finish it in 4 hours.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I ran this recently at an Expeditions session and was not a fan. I found that the narrative was hard to convey, track and progress in just 4 hours (time limit for the event and supposedly the adventure). I like what it was trying to do but pulling it off from start to finish with players who have never played together and have no previous context for it (no one had played the precursor mods) was frustrating as a DM. If I had the full 8 hours this appears to of been written for, then it would probably work.

Darn. I'm really sorry to hear that. I do tend to be an overly complex writer, though I tried to split hairs here and make it both engrossing and communicate enough that it would run well for most DMs. One interesting thing is that my original draft had an introduction prior to getting to the air node. I took it out because I thought it took away from the experience and left too little time for the real heart of the adventure. It was added back in during development. I think the point is to try to give an introduction, but I think it honestly would play better if if just had the DM say "here's why you are here, go!" rather than spend time outside the node. At Gen Con I heard of a table where they spent half the adventure outside the air node and didn't have time to finish the adventure. That's a real shame. Ultimately, this is all my fault - developers react to what they are given!

I should also note that sometimes I write a "safe" adventure that I think will please nearly everyone. Other times I go a bit askew, trying something that I think will really knock it out of the park for some tables and DMs, but usually this also means some tables will absolutely hate it. This adventure was certainly not a "safe" one... I always feel bad when I take this angle, because I know it will cause a few disaster tables. I am truly sorry for those.

Motorskills

Explorer
I played this at OwlCon this past weekend and have very mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, it did really feel thematic, I love the Elemental Plane of Air, it's hard to convey and our DM described things very evocatively.

On the other hand I spent four hours stumbling confused from one weird puzzle to the next, not even understanding what constituted the successes that we did have.

I'd have to read it to determine how much was our fault, how much was our DM's, and how much was the module.

I would say that our group of four gelled instantly, it wasn't for a lack of focussed brainpower. Indeed at one point the DM suggested we were over-thinking things, which suggests a problem in and of itself.

Motorskills

Explorer
I played this at OwlCon this past weekend and have very mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, it did really feel thematic, I love the Elemental Plane of Air, it's hard to convey and our DM described things very evocatively.

On the other hand I spent four hours stumbling confused from one weird puzzle to the next, not even understanding what constituted the successes that we did have.

I'd have to read it to determine how much was our fault, how much was our DM's, and how much was the module's.

I would say that our group of four gelled instantly, it wasn't for a lack of focussed brainpower. Indeed at one point the DM suggested we were over-thinking things, which suggests a problem in and of itself.

I would add that I hadn't done any of the prequels, I don't think any of my table-mates had either. So it's definitely possible there was a disconnect on our end there.

I'm not sure if I would play it again, that's the problem with puzzle modules. That said, like I said, I don't think we ever understood what we were doing, or what we were supposed to be doing, at any stage of the module.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases