D&D 5E Halloween Special: X2 Chateau d' Amberville (86'd)

214dsfq.jpg

Credit: Wizards of the Coast, Art by Erol Otis

In 2004, Dungeon magazine ranked X2 Castle Amber (Chateau d'Amberville) as the 15th greatest D&D module of all-time. Characters explore the haunted mansion of the demented and at times insane d'Amberville family. A strange grey mist shrouds the castle; the adventure leads off with characters encountering the fog-shrouded Castle Amber. DriveThruRPG has this to say about X2: "Some suggest that the Castle and its denizens, and in particular room #25, were influenced by Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Fall of the House of Usher' (1839). The connection with room #25 is especially clear, since it includes a sister named Madeline calling out from her grave, just like the short story . . . Though the adventure focuses largely on the eponymous Castle Amber, which was created for this supplement, it also has connections to the Province of Averoigne - a fictional area in Medieval France that was created by 'weird fiction' author Clark Ashton Smith for a series of short stories, most of them published in Weird Tales magazine (1930-41).

Pulp Stylings: Because of the connections to Smith's fiction, James Maliszewski identifies 'Castle Amber' as the second book in Tom Moldvay's Pulp Fantasy Trilogy, the other two being X1: 'The Isle of Dread' (1981) and B4: 'The Lost City' (1982). Pulp adventure was a common module style at TSR in this era, with interest in the topic being shared by Tom Moldvay and David "Zeb" Cook.

Literary Licenses: 'Castle Amber' was published with the approval of Clark Ashton Smith's estate, and thus was one of the earlier RPG products officially based on a literary property."

Rules System: 5e.
Party Size: 4. A smaller party better accommodates the desired faster posting rate.
Character Submission Deadline: Noon U.S. eastern time zone, Tuesday, September 29, 2015. I will announce selections on Tuesday evening.
Character Selection: Not first come first served. Please submit one character only.
Game Duration: October 1, 2015 through November 1, 2015. One month. I'm running this for Halloween. If we are not done with the adventure by November 1, we're not done, but the game will end regardless. The intent is to enjoy a something different on a temporary basis without locking people into a long-term game.
Posting Rate: My expectation is that players will be present Monday through Friday and will post SEVERAL times PER DAY. Players may, at their discretion, post on Saturdays and Sundays, but this is not a requirement. This game is set to last one month. If you do not think you can maintain the posting rate, please consider not submitting a character. Please be advised that Thursdays and Fridays are my busiest days at work, and that through October I have Saturday morning chauffeuring duty to get my children to cross country meets. I expect, however, to make myself available to meet the stated posting requirement. If I will be unavailable, I will announce so ahead of time, and when possible you should, too. I want a fast-paced game, but not at the expense of health, work, family, and friends; please prioritize those first.

Starting Level: 3rd.
Genre: Roleplay-intensive horror with a splash of pulp and camp. Humor welcome.
Ability Scores: Players may arrange the following array as they wish: 18,17,16,15,14,13.
hp: Max + Constitution modifier at 1st level. For subsequent levels, use PHB average + Constitution modifier (e.g., 1d10 = 6 hp).
Alignment: Any. I don't care if you play an evil character. You will be expected to respect social norms and be a team player, however.
Gold: Standard starting equipment per the PHB, plus 500 gp of non-magical equipment of your choice.
Source Material Permitted: 5e PHB, 5e Basic Rules free .pdf. If it's in the PHB, you may use it, and that includes variant Human, multiclassing, and feats. I will not be entertaining Unearthed Arcana source material.
Inspiration: Yes, will be used.
Background: Please include a trait, ideal, bond, flaw, and no more than three sentences about your character's personality that tells us who he or she is and how he or she views the world. I appreciate when players provide a picture of their character (with credit to the source), but if you do not provide a picture of your character, I ask that you instead write one or two sentences about his or her appearance. Please do NOT provide a background for your character. My games favor roleplaying over combat, but in my experience the only person who reads and makes use of a character background is the author. Might as well save your time and mine. The expectation is that you will have thought through your background and it will inform your roleplaying, but the group will not need to see the background.
Maps: No. This one will be theater of the mind, folks.
Level Ups: Awarded at DM discretion based on milestones. We will not be using XP.

A note about character submissions: Please break down by level what attribute increases your character acquired. I'll be vetting character submissions and will be grateful to folks who do so.

Last edited:

Characters Submitted:

hafrogman, Sir Norville the Hirsute, Male Halfling NG Ranger 3, and s'Kuub, Male Mastiff Animal Companion, vetted /X/ yes / / no
itcomeswithamap, Surana Blackrock, Female Human CN Barbarian 3, vetted /X/ yes / / no
Creamsteak, Fen, Male Human NE Rogue 2 / Monk 1, vetted /X/ yes / / no
Queenie, Valerie, Female Human CG Sorcerer 3, vetted /X/ yes / / no
Fenris, Max, Male Human NG Cleric (Life) 3, vetted /X/ yes / / no
Hijinx, Little John, Male Human NG Cleric (Trickery) 3, vetted /X/ yes / / no

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Like zoinks! How much trouble am I gonna be in if i submit a cowardly ranger with a Great Dane companion?

I really wanted to do that, but wow the beastmaster ranger is bad at low levels. Especially with these stats floating around. Gonna think on it a little and see what else I come up with.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I reeeeeeally want in on this one, both for the adventure and the DM. I haven't been able to muster up the time to put together a character lately, but I'm going to make time, damnit.

I'm going to use a concept I came up with for another game (that I didn't end up playing) that I think would work well here - Halfling Cleric of Knowledge with the Guild Merchant background. Traveling seller of trinkets and curiosities either looking to buy or sell something at the infamous Castle Amber.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Alright, I found a way to make it work, sort of. He's not so much cowardly as fearless. More of an homage than a full on parody.
Equal parts Shaggy, Gilderoy Lockehart and Gaston.

Sir Norville the Hirsute is a champion among halfling kind, hairy beyond even the normal measure of his race, and brave beyond compare. Not content to rule over the shire, he has forged a name for himself as a hunter of ghosts, ghoulies and things that go bump in the night. With his faithful squire (his nephew Friedrich) and his trusty steed (s'Kuub) he travels the land doing good, and being better.

Code:
[B]Name:[/B]       Sir Norville the Hirsute
[B]Class:[/B]      Ranger 3
[B]Race:[/B]       Halfling (Stout)
[B]Background:[/B] Noble (Knight)
[B]Size:[/B]       Small (3'0", 40 lb)
[B]Gender:[/B]     Male
[B]Alignment:[/B]  Neutral Good     

[B]Str:[/B] 18 (+4) save: +6     [B]HP:[/B] 34 (3d10+12)
[B]Dex:[/B] 15 (+2) save: +4     [B]AC:[/B]   18
[B]Con:[/B] 18 (+4) 
[B]Int:[/B] 14 (+2)              [B]Speed:[/B]   25
[B]Wis:[/B] 15 (+2)              [B]Init:[/B]    +2
[B]Cha:[/B] 16 (+3)              [B]Passive Perception:[/B]    12

[B]Skills:[/B]                    [B]Abilities:[/B]
Acrobatics         +2       Lucky
*Animal Handling   +4       Brave
Arcana             +2       Hafling Nimbleness
*Athletics         +6       Stout Resilience
Deception          +3       Favored Enemy (Undead)
*History           +4       Natural Explorer (Swamp)
Insight            +2       Fighting Style (Dueling)
Intimidation       +3       Ranger Archetype (Beast Master)
*Investigation     +4       Ranger's Companion
Medicine           +2       Primeval Awareness
Nature             +2       Backround: Retainer (Squire)
Perception         +2       
Performance        +3  
*Persuasion        +5             [B]Spellcasting:[/B] 
Religion           +2       Save DC 12   Attack Mod +4 
Sleight of Hand    +2       1st: 3       4th: -
Stealth            +2d      2nd: -       5th: -
Survival           +2       3rd: -

[B]Proficiencies:[/B]
Armor: light, medium, shields
Weapons: simple, martial
Tools: Dragonchess Set
Languages: Common, Elven, Halfling

[B]Spells Known:[/B]
Cure Wounds
Hunter's Mark
Longstrider

[B]Weapon                Attack  Damage     Type  Range[/B]
Lance                  +6    1d12+6        P
Longsword              +6     1d8+6        S
Light Hammer           +6     1d4+6        B
Light Hammer, thrown   +6     1d4+4        B   (20/60)

[B]Equipment:[/B]
Scale Mail
Shield
Lance
Longsword
Light Hammers (2)
Fine Clothes
Signet Ring
Scroll of Pedigree
Military Saddle
Chain Shirt Barding
Explorer's Pack

[B]Money:[/B] 260 gp

[B]Personality Trait:[/B] I'm full of inspiring and cautionary tales from my own exploits, irrelevant to almost every situation
[B]Ideal:[/B] Noble Obligation - It is my duty to protect and carefor the people beneath me.
[B]Bond:[/B] s'Kuub is my life long companion, much more than just a dog.
[B]Flaw:[/B] Food is my first, last and greatest love.

Code:
[B]Name:[/B]       s'Kuub
[B]Race:[/B]       Mastiff
[B]Size:[/B]       Medium
[B]Gender:[/B]     Male
[B]Alignment:[/B]  Unaligned     

[B]Str:[/B] 13 (+1)              [B]HP:[/B] 12 (1d8+1)
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 (+2)              [B]AC:[/B]   17
[B]Con:[/B] 12 (+1) 
[B]Int:[/B]  3 (-4)              [B]Speed:[/B]   40
[B]Wis:[/B] 12 (+1)              [B]Init:[/B]    +2
[B]Cha:[/B]  7 (-2)              [B]Passive Perception:[/B]    15

[B]Skills:[/B]                    [B]Abilities:[/B]
Acrobatics         +2       Keen Hearing and Smell
Animal Handling    +1 
Arcana             -4  
Athletics          +1  
Deception          -2  
History            -4     
Insight            +1   
Intimidation       -2   
Investigation      -4   
Medicine           +1 
Nature             -4
*Perception        +5
Performance        -2  
Persuasion         -2
Religion           -4 
Sleight of Hand    +2
Stealth            +2 
Survival           +1

[B]Weapon                Attack  Damage     Type [/B]
Bite                   +5     1d6+3        P     DC11 Str Save vs. Prone

[sblock=Accounting]
Code:
+ 25 Background
+500 Campaign
- 10 shield
-200 chain shirt barding
- 10 lance
- 15 longsword
- 30 military saddle
[/sblock]

I still have a fair amount of money to spend, I should probably outfit Friedrich, even though I don't intend to let him into combat. :)

Last edited:

SunGold

First Post
Oh man, this looks like such a rad time. Throwing my hat in the ring...it's campy barbarian o'clock!
[sblock]
View attachment 70618
Art credit: The FreeDnDArt public domain art repository. I would link it but I'm too new to post links. :(

BASICS
Name: Surana Blackrock
Race: Human
Class: Barbarian 3
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Outlander
Hit Points: 12+4+7+4+7+4 = 38
AC: 17
Initiative: +3
Passive Perception: 13

ATTRIBUTES
STR 19 (+4)
DEX 17 (+3)
CON 18 (+4)
INT 15 (+2)
WIS 16 (+3)
CHA 14 (+2)

Note: +1 to all abilities comes from Human traits; none increased by leveling.

PROFICIENCY
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: Drum
Languages: Common, Giant, Orc
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Athletics (+6), Nature (+4) Perception (+5), Survival (+5)

RACE
Size: Medium
Speed: 30'
Ability score increase: Ability scores each increase by 1.

CLASS
Rage: Can enter rage for 1 minute as a bonus action. When not wearing heavy armor, bonuses are: advantage on STR checks & STR saving throws; bonus to damage rolls when attacking with a melee weapon using STR; and resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. Rages per long rest at level 3: 3.
Unarmored Defense: While unarmored, AC = 10 + DEX mod + CON mod. Shields can still be used.
Reckless Attack: May attack recklessly on 1st attack of turn. Gain advantage on melee attacks using STR this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.
Danger Sense: Grants advantage on DEX saving throws against effects you can see (ex:traps, spells). Must not be blinded, deafened, or incapacitated.
Primal Path (Totem Warrior/Bear): Can cast Beast Sense and Speak with Animals, but only as rituals. Also, while raging, gain resistance to all damage except psychic damage.

WEAPONS
Greataxe: +6 attack, 1d12+4 slashing dmg
Handaxes: +6 attack, 1d6+4 slashing dmg
Javelins: +6 attack, 1d6+4 piercing dmg

SPELLCASTING
Spells (only cast as rituals): Beast Sense, Speak with Animals

EQUIPMENT (128.5 gp remaining)
From class/background:
Greataxe
Handaxe x2
Javelin x4
Backpack
Bedroll
Mess kit
Tinderbox
10 torches
10 days of rations
Waterskin
50 feet hempen rope
Drum
Bear claw amulet (totem)

Bought:
Caltrops (bag of 20) 1gp
Grappling hook 2gp
Lantern, bullseye 10gp
Oil (flask) x5 1sp/ea
Spikes, iron (10) 1gp
Crowbar 2gp
Wine, fine (bottle) x5 10gp/ea
Shield 10gp
Healer's kit 5gp
Potion of healing x6 300gp

Trait: I was, in fact, raised by wolves.
Ideal: The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization.
Bond: I will bring terrible wrath down on the evildoers who destroyed my homeland.
Flaw: I am too enamored of ale, wine, and other intoxicants.

At 6'2"--not even counting her unruly black mane--the happily uncivilized Surana makes her way in the world by dealing blows and surviving them. She may appear intimidating and unfriendly to strangers, but she treats her friends like her wolf pack. She's decided ale and wine are the only good things to come out of civilization.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Glad to see folks submitting for the game. I'm pretty hyped to get to do something a little different.

I've had a busy day but will get cracking on reviewing the two sheets from hafrogman and itcomeswithamap this evening. Later this evening.

[MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION], I've vetted both Sir Norville the Hirsute and s'Kuub, and have sent you a PM with my questions. Awesome submission, by the way. I couldn't stop laughing last night for a good solid fifteen minutes. Might have been punch drunk tired from work, but, regardless, super funny.

Remove ads