Pathfinder 1E What Made You Switch To Pathfinder?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I've seen a couple that have said they've gone from 5E to Pathfinder because of the lack of options/customization in 5E. (Players were bored.)

Hereticus

First Post
Lots of ex-3.5/4.0 switchers here but...has anyone ever switched from 5e to PF?

I had played 3.5e quite a bit.
Tried 4e but did not like it, so I returned to 3.5e.
Tried 5e, and to quote myself... "they killed the magic both literally and figuratively."
But instead of the unsupported 3.5e, we went to updated pathfinder and love it.

Typically I like playing spell casters because I like magic.

By the way, great avatar!

Luminose

First Post
Lots of ex-3.5/4.0 switchers here but...has anyone ever switched from 5e to PF?

I started with Pathfinder three years ago. My group spent most of 2015 using 5E to try it out. While there are some positives, we're going back to Pathfinder. The more experienced players find it too limiting and the newer players don't really care.

I for one love splat books!

EMR

First Post
I'm currently running a 5E game through the starter set (expanded by converting some other content) because my co-workers were crazy excited to try it out, and all I can think of is how much I wish I was running Pathfinder instead. 5E is just such a sparse system that I feel bad for my players for having nothing mechanically to engage with.

Starfox

Hero
5E is just such a sparse system that I feel bad for my players for having nothing mechanically to engage with.

Now that both Pathfinder and 5E is on OGL, would it be possible to write a book of conversion translating Pathfinder classes into 5E rules? The magus, alchemist, swashbuckler, summoner, and witch really are new concepts that I feel could work in 5E too, offering players more options.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
All the cool kids were doing it. Seriously, if everyone started BECMI D&D games here, I'd probably be playing those instead. If you want to play, you have to follow the crowd.

EMR

First Post
For me I loved 4e, and was incredibly disheartened when the edition died. I had begun playing Pathfinder at a friend's request (running it since it was similar enough to 3.5 and the group was newish to the ruleset) and naturally it was 3.5 but different, so what bothered me about 3.5 still bothered me in PF. 5e came out and I found it utterly lacking in the depth necessary to maintain my interest.

I actually went through something like half a year or more where I was profoundly angry / frustrated at my rulesets because each of them were failing me in a specific way that I couldn't reconcile without doing a TONNE of work. I tried to do that work, creating hybrid systems and gestalting PF and 4e (was fun but oy character creation took forever), but nothing stuck.

So since I was still playing with a group who were adamantly Pathfinder fans I continued there. It didn't take too long however for the Pathfinder 3pp to fill the small gap in what I wasn't getting from PF. Once I had Path of War, Sphere's of Power and Ultimate Psionics, my Pathfinder world now had every little style of fun I could possibly hope for, so now I can't fathom changing to another system. I'm hooked for good.

Last edited:

Remove ads