Pathfinder 1E What Made You Switch To Pathfinder?

EMR

First Post
Hell, I might spend 2 hours on a first level character! Making sure I get all the piddly little numbers right, reading guides so I'm halfway competent, etc. Don't get me wrong. I still play, and enjoy it, but have to create new characters for PFS every few levels. But I would dump it for 5e in a heartbeat if I was forced to choose. I have also met quite a few players and DMs that got annoyed if you didn't know what you were doing. 5e doesn't have that (yet?).

I have to go the other way, spending all that time each level and planning out the mechanics of your character meticulously and with every tiny little nuance... it creates a gameplay experience unlike any other. 5e to me felt so shallow. There is very, very little choice to be made in character creation in that game. The game has a fine skeleton, but the system doesn't have enough MEAT for my liking. There's no greater player joy than busting out your meticulously designed character doing his cool thing when the stakes are on the line. That moment when you shine, you dive in and RP the crap out of your awesome and you &#*@ some baddies up! I can't stand light games, and to me, the more books, feats, splat around the better! Bring it on!

It seems to me that the question is not "Why did you switch to PF instead of staying with D&D," but rather "Why did you switch publishers instead of systems?" I liked 3.5 and was happy with it, but it wasn't until 4E was released that I was committed to Pathfinder.

Moraine

First Post
We switched from AD&D to 3.5 (our DM told 3.0 seemed too bugged), from 3.5 to Pathfinder (as a D&D 3.75), from Pathfinder to D&D 5, and after checking it, from D&D 5 back to Pathfinder.

For low complexity rpgs we chose Savage Worlds. Better than the void of D&D 5. By far.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Switched to PF when I realized I didn't like 4e and it also seemed like PF has some good tweaks to 3.5.

Enjoyed PF until mythic, then got tired of the 2k in feat and the chains so we switched to 5e and seems like the group is having fun. I think our current group would have fun playing any system (except mythic PF!) as we recently played dragon age, DCC, 1e, and 5e in the same day (15 hour marathon) and we a had a blast with each.

Eendmans

First Post
I started playing Dungeons & Dragons around 15 years back as an DM and started with 3.0. We went over to 4.0 but we could not get used to the system and the group fell apart (also personal stuff). We tried to reboot with 5.0 but it just couldnt stick to me as a DM and i couldn't find the motivation to play.

So after a break i found another group that played Pathfinder and D&D 5.0 so i joined for their 5.0 campaign as a player and have been playing that for almost a year. I also joined their Pathfinder group as a player and i really like both systems.

I like 5.0 for it's simplicity, no more stacks upon stacks, it's clean, lean and fast.
I like Pathfinder for it's numbercrunchy heaviness. The possibily to get a +35 to your rolls and the adventures from what i saw and now playing is very cool!

So both systems are fine in it's own way's!

Dover Cook

First Post
Fourth Edition D & D Made Me Switch to Pathfinder

I switched to Pathfinder after a disasterous experience with Fourth Edition D D & D. I had
noticed Pathfinder around 2009, but didn't get into it until late in 2012, when I bought the
Core Rule Book and asked an acquaintance about Pathfinder Society Organized Play. It
wasn't until March of 2013 that Pathfinder gripped me. I bought the Beginner Box and
was able to grasp the rules firmly. I ran the introductory adventure in the box and
was pleased with the experience. For me, Pathfinder has a rules system which engages
me, from character creation through GMing a campaign. The published setting, Golarion, is
one which engages me in a way that I haven't experienced since the First Edition AD & D
box set of the Forgotten Realms setting.

What made me pick up Pathfinder was the Humble Pathfinder Bundle a couple of months ago.

I didn't really look into it before then because I was pretty much out of tabletop RPGs for several years, much to my regret.

Anyway, even though I am also now interested in D&D5e Pathfinder is definitely something I'm really interested in playing at some point. I have barely scratched the surface of what the bundle so far and I am enjoying it immensely.

Dover Cook

First Post
What made me pick up Pathfinder was the Humble Pathfinder Bundle a couple of months ago.

I didn't really look into it before then because I was pretty much out of tabletop RPGs for several years, much to my regret.

Anyway, even though I am also now interested in D&D5e Pathfinder is definitely something I'm really interested in playing at some point. I have barely scratched the surface of what the bundle so far and I am enjoying it immensely.

Excellent! I was hoping to hear from someone who had picked up the Humble Bundle. I was away from D & D for six years before I picked up Pathfinder. D & D 5e is an acceptable system. I borrow from it for my Pathfinder campaign. There are a lot of options available when you play Pathfinder, in my experience. I am glad to hear you are enjoying it immensely.

Yeah, right now I'm trying to reread the core book without skimming too much because there are a lot of changes from 3.5 that I missed my first time through. Like I only today found out that feat progression was changed.

Overall, everything about Pathfinder is great so far.

Last edited:

Dover Cook

First Post
I had to re-read the core book a couple times before I caught enough of the changes.

I'm glad to read that you think everything about Pathfinder is great so far.

The first thing I noticed about Pathfinder is that character creation is actually fun.

Remove ads