How many people do you know who haven't switched to 5e, and why haven't they?

tyrlaan

Explorer
My wife and I haven't switched.

I bought the PHB and DMG (unfortunately, considering the cost), and we tried playing it for a while but it definitely was a poor experience for us.

Fundamentally, I think it's easiest to sum up why we didn't like it by saying "it's not 4e".
- I've grown to like 'crunchy' combat where I have a decent amount of options on hand each fight. In comparison, I found 5e combat to be flat and somewhat boring, especially if your abilities don't come back until a long rest.
- I dislike 5e's return to long spell descriptions.
- I like all classes being relatively on par with one another and dislike what appears to be the return of the fighter-mage disparity.
- I really like the simplicity of monster building, heck DMing, in 4e. Easily the lowest prep time I've ever had. Maybe I could get similar results in time with 5e, but since it has other strikes against it already, my motivation to invest the time is not there.

Incidentally, I find it an interesting testament to the variance in taste from one gamer to another that I would argue there isn't enough 4e in 5e, yet [MENTION=6698278]Emerikol[/MENTION]'s dislike of 5e stems from having too much 4e in it.

Starfox

Adventurer
Incidentally, I find it an interesting testament to the variance in taste from one gamer to another that I would argue there isn't enough 4e in 5e, yet @Emerikol's dislike of 5e stems from having too much 4e in it.

Win-Win! To each their own.

But the idea of "one game to rule them all" has all but died. At a game con in the '80s, you won the con if you won the DnD tournament. That hasn't been true here in Sweden for over 30 years now. It had a certain charm, but I find the current rich choices much more satisfying overall.

Brenthias

First Post
4e was and has been my only D&D experience. I have been with the same group for roughly four years and can say I have enjoyed every bit of it. As for not trying out 5e yet, we haven't had a reason to depart from 4e. We have finished one campaign to level 30 and have started anew. I have myself looked at some of the 5e books and was intrigued and the "less crunchy" combat, but in the end it was a fleeting feeling. To sum things up, I personally am enjoying myself and I am not inclined to change as of now. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases