D&D 5E [OOC] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr [ENDED]

I want the DM to weigh in because this is his game, but I can tell you what we've done for Brue in the past. She rolls each damage die separately for her greatsword, re-rolling if one or both of them turn up a 1 or a 2. The model for what we have been doing is as has been stated above by hafrogman.

So, for example, instead of rolling 2d6+4, she rolls 1d6+4 and 1d6. If either the 1d6+4 or the 1d6 turn up a 1 or 2, they are re-rolled. Whatever turns up on the re-roll is what we use. I don't think we've encountered a situation yet where both dice came up a 1 or a 2. If such a thing were to occur, based on the language in the PHB, my expectation is that both would be re-rolled. Again, FF will want to weigh in here, I'm sure.

EDIT: Since I have a Paladin in another game, I want to further clarify/chip in that one has to select this Fighting Style from a list of choices; it's not an ability automatically incurred upon attaining 2nd level. Same holds true for a Fighter. My pally didn't take it; instead, he selected Fighting Style (Protection).

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
As @hafrogman noted, Brue actually does have that fighting style.

Mike Mearls opined back in October that he would only apply Great Weapon Fighting Style to the damage die of the weapon, not any extra riders. With that said, Mike has stated that he is answering Sage Advice questions as a DM and not a designer. Crawford is the rules guy and has yet to weigh in on the issue.

Ruling: I think Great Weapon Fighter is intended to allow a character with that style, who has generally chosen to give up +2 to AC in a bounded accuracy environment, to routinely deliver greater minimum damage. As such, I'm going with the re-roll applying to all dice that are part of the roll. This would include things like Divine Smite, Hex, Hunter's Mark, Colossus Slayer, etc. This will allow it to be better than Duelist for situations where more dice are added to the damage. The way it works is if any of those dice come up as one or two, you can reroll those dice once but have to keep the new roll.

Also, the dice roller can sort of accommodate this, but it requires a little extra work on your part. If you use the function:

{rollv}2d6+4{/rollv} (Replacing the { and } with [ and ])

The result will show the individual results of the d6 rolls. Unfortunately, something is broken with the roller and it won't add the static modifier to the total, so that +4 wouldn't have been added to the indicated total, but you can always add it up manually and post the roll total.

This is one of those situations where it would be a good idea to post the rerolls to the OOC thread if available.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
So, for example, let's say that Brue is attacking with her greatsword and using a battlemaster maneuver that adds damage on a hit. She successfully hits and rolls:

Damage: [roll0] + [roll1] + 3

For a total of 14 points of damage. If any of the individual rolls had come up as a 1 or 2, she could reroll them.

The rolling convention also could be important for Boddynock if he ever chooses Empowered Spell for a Metamagic option. You would need to know the individual rolls in order to use the ability (The last Boddynock had that ability).

Last edited:

Egon

First Post
Thank you for the awesome clarification. Empowered Spell was one of those things that I was looking at for Metamagic, but decided to go Distant Spell for the range increase.

Egon

First Post
Posted the following in the RG thread, then realized I'm a moron and need to post it here.

Depends how much money you're talking about, but proficiency in a herbalism kit if you're one of those gnomes with a predilection for alchemy. Brew your own healing potions.

Unfortunately, Medicine is based on WIS. And my WIS is currently a 10. So even with proficiency, I'd get no additional bonus when using the kit to brew healing potions. Unless, of course, the GM uses some other stat such as INT for use of tools?

Either way, I am purchasing the proficiency in the Herbalism Kit specifically for this purpose. This leaves me with 250 gold, which now begs the following question:

Does the Herbalism Kit include anything to do with the Brewing Supplies or Poisoner's Kit? If not, is there an added bonus for having one of these other two with the Herbalism Kit?

Forged Fury

First Post
Nah, it's fine. It's just the recruitment thread and the question is character creation related, so it's all good. I posted a response over there.

Egon

First Post
Thanks for the response. I ended up taking both Herbalism and Poisoner Kits, so that's settled. I purchased the Herbalism Kit, but I don't have the cash to get the Poisoner's Kit. So while I can use one with proficiency, I don't actually own one of my own. Might have to change that at some point...

Forged Fury

First Post
Did you guys want to work out more background details among yourselves or get the ball rolling? If you want to work out connections, you can do that here or in the recruitment thread.

To preface the start of the game, the four new characters will have traveled to a keep known as Kirgard, which is south of Mosstone. You all could have traveled together, some of you could have traveled together, or all of you could have traveled independently. You'll have been at the keep for one night and will be meeting with Brue and Rowena Tosscoble (effectively, your boss) around mid afternoon when they arrive from Mosstone.

I want to work out background between Brue and one or two of the others, but am schlepping children to events this evening until about 9 pm. I don't want to hold us up beyond today, but could we maybe wait just this evening to see if we can't put some together?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases