D&D 5E [OOC] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr [ENDED]

Olrox17

Hero
Pilfered this comment from the old recruitment thread and teleported it over here to our new OOC! Thanks for adding Brue to your background, @Olrox17. I had a look this morning at what your wrote. Short and sweet, nice. It looks like Corilo was 15 or 16 when Brue picked him up and took him to a medic in service of Zaranda Star? Or did this happen after Corilo joined Gorstan's Riders? Or after he joined the Shadow Stars?

If I'm doing my math right, Corilo was born in '57, and the year is now '78, so that makes him 21? Which means he's four years younger than Brue, who is 25. Let me know if that matches what you'd been thinking.

The two supposedly met during the Reclamation war. The war ended in '69, so Corilo was around 12 years old during the war. Brue must have been 16 or something.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Quick Note on Mounts (Mostly for @Olrox17 but also for @hafrogman )

Unless you have a trained war mount, your mount is going to want to leave combat as soon as it gets hurt. If your untrained mount is hit for damage, it is going to attempt to bolt. On the rider's next turn (since the rider and mount share initiative), the rider has three choices: attempt to calm the mount, dismount, or let it bolt.
- Attempt to Calm: The rider needs to spend their Action to attempt a DC 12 Animal Handling check. After the first check, if a mount suffers damage over the course of a round again before being healed, the DC goes up by 2 each time.
- Dismount: The rider can dismount as per the standard dismount rules and the mount will then Dash or Disengage in order to flee.
- Let It Bolt: The rider stays on the mount. The mount rears, which requires the rider to make a standard DC 10 DEX check to stay on the mount. The mount will use its action to Dash or Disengage. The rider can still attack from the mount, but the erratic and uncontrolled movement will cause an attack to be made at disadvantage.

Does that all make sense? Most enemies are going to attack you, rather than the mount, but beasts and unintelligent creatures may go for your mounts.

Forged Fury

First Post
Question: Could I use Distant Spell with a spell scroll to double the range, thereby making Witch Bolt 60 feet? It's rare when someone can get more than 60 feet away from someone in a single turn, assuming I was standing almost next to them to begin with.

The rules aren't clear. Andy Crawford sort of responded to this sideways, but it's definitely not clear. Personally, I'd probably rule no, as I think it could have unbalancing effects when we start to introduce other magic items that cast spells (wands, staves, etc), since a lot of the Metamagic costs are static.

Fluff-wise, the sorcerer is all about internal power. On the converse side, I think you can use metamagic to manipulate any spells you happen to know, even if they're from another class. If I'm remembering that correctly, it implies a certain ability to just straight up manipulate the fabric of magic in the Realms (technically known as the Weave).

You know, go ahead. Sorcerers are under-served to begin with, IMO.

Egon

First Post
See, the whole problem with the wording of both the scroll and the MetaMagic feats is the word "Casting". I understand about not being able to use MetaMagic with staves and rods because the description of the item doesn't state that you are casting the spell. Scrolls are a different story here because the description states you are casting the spell from the scroll, not activating an effect.

I mean, if you say no, then you say no, and I'll switch Witch Bolt to something else (probably Expeditious Retreat, to save my bacon if I need to use it). I just had to ask and see because, as you said, the rules are mighty sketchy on this.

Forged Fury

First Post
I think I already said yes? Maybe that wasn't clear? Yeah, I'm allowing metamagic to apply to scrolls, wands, and staves, possibly other items.

Personally, I think it makes more sense for staves to allow it as you use your own spellcasting attributes for spells cast through them. That tells me you're somehow channeling magic through yourself and the staff, while scrolls and wands are cast at a static spell level. Maybe that's too much 3.5E think.

But either way, I'm down with it. I updated the House Rules and Interpretations.

Egon

First Post
Oh. I guess I missed it in your post. I saw the statement "I'd guess I'd probably rule no" and thought you meant no to the whole thing.

Thanks for the clarification though! Looks like Witch Bolt is here to stay!

Olrox17

Hero
Quick Note on Mounts (Mostly for @Olrox17 but also for @hafrogman )

Unless you have a trained war mount, your mount is going to want to leave combat as soon as it gets hurt. If your untrained mount is hit for damage, it is going to attempt to bolt. On the rider's next turn (since the rider and mount share initiative), the rider has three choices: attempt to calm the mount, dismount, or let it bolt.
- Attempt to Calm: The rider needs to spend their Action to attempt a DC 12 Animal Handling check. After the first check, if a mount suffers damage over the course of a round again before being healed, the DC goes up by 2 each time.
- Dismount: The rider can dismount as per the standard dismount rules and the mount will then Dash or Disengage in order to flee.
- Let It Bolt: The rider stays on the mount. The mount rears, which requires the rider to make a standard DC 10 DEX check to stay on the mount. The mount will use its action to Dash or Disengage. The rider can still attack from the mount, but the erratic and uncontrolled movement will cause an attack to be made at disadvantage.

Does that all make sense? Most enemies are going to attack you, rather than the mount, but beasts and unintelligent creatures may go for your mounts.

Got it. I'll eventually try to acquire a warhorse, or, if it's possible, spend money to train Andal so it can become a warhorse.

Forged Fury

First Post
Oh. I guess I missed it in your post. I saw the statement "I'd guess I'd probably rule no" and thought you meant no to the whole thing.

Thanks for the clarification though! Looks like Witch Bolt is here to stay!

I talked myself out of it by the end. It just wasn't clear. But yeah, go ahead with it. Witch Bolt at 60' is waaaay more effective, I think.

Remove ads