Dwarven Forge questions

Skyscraper

Explorer
I'm considering buying some dwarven forge products, in part because they look nice, and in part as a hobby to share with one of my kids, presently age 7. Questions, for those that have answers :)

1) Can you get reasonably enough stuff for under $100? I.e. enough to build, say, a small keep with several rooms, or the like?

2) Does it require a lot of skill to assemble? Can a 7 year old pull it off alone?

3) Does it come prepainted?

4) Can you disassemble the stuff you build for storage, and easily reassemble it later?

5) Any comments about the dwarven forge products, and/or comparison with other similar products?

Thanks for any info!

pogre

Legend
1) Can you get reasonably enough stuff for under $100? I.e. enough to build, say, a small keep with several rooms, or the like?
Not really

2) Does it require a lot of skill to assemble? Can a 7 year old pull it off alone?
Sure - its easy.

3) Does it come prepainted?
Yep or no - your choice these days.

4) Can you disassemble the stuff you build for storage, and easily reassemble it later?
Yep

5) Any comments about the dwarven forge products, and/or comparison with other similar products?
I am a LONG time collector of dwarven forge. It's easy, fast, and cheaper than it used to be, but not cheap. I also build a lot of dungeon pieces out of Hirst Arts - but there is a small amount of modeling and painting skill to do this.

My son, age 12, has a small collection of tiles that cost about $100 and he can make two or three rooms in a dungeon.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Hi,

I'm presuming you mean the new(ish) "dwarvenite" sets. There are sets made of resin also available.

Probably, $100 won't be quite enough. Your best bet would be to go to the web site and get a feel for how many pieces are in each set, and figure from there.

A 7 year old (or younger) should be able to handle the pieces. I'd stay away from any of the fancier and smaller bits, as they can be swallowed or lost. The basic pieces are quite safe and easy to use.

You can get both unpainted and painted sets. There are guides for painting the unpainted sets, and Dwarven Forge sells paints that you can use. (Probably, you can save a bunch and buy paint yourself, but you'll need to figure out the colors and thickness yourself.) For painting, basic techniques and a bit of patience are enough. I might have painted my own if I were younger and less employed.

The dwarvenite pieces go into a duffle bag or sturdy plastic box without any problems. I like to use these for storage:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...337076-VQ21-&gclid=CKOsnuCjgckCFUMTHwod8FUJ_g

The canvas duffle bags from Dwarven Forge, or any old duffle bags, are also fine, if you don't mind putting the pieces in a jumble. You will want something sturdy, as, en mass, the pieces get to be a bit of weight.

Thx!
TomB

Monkplayer

Villager
I own about 100 sets of DF, but it's all the better quality resin sets, not the Dwarvenite.

1) no not even close
2) No. They are great pics on their website, and even map building software (no download necessary I think)
3) Yes both types resin and Dwarvenite
4) Yes. Mine are in plastic shoe size bins labeled by type of piece and set; i.e. medieval, ancient ruins, den of evil.
5) There is no better quality product in the world. If you want their best quality line...resin sets, or more durable almost indestructible cheaper line then Dwarvenite. To get a good build of several rooms and outfitted with dungeon dressing items you might need $500.
5)

Remove ads