Kulan: Bard's Gate PbP Campaign (IC) [Game Cancelled]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: I will post my introduction to the game sometime this week. (Do you have your PC done?)

1443553912_bard%27s%20gate_southwest%20entry.jpg

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Bard's Gate. The City of Bards. Long has it stood as a crossroads from the western lands of the Far North to lands to the east in the Horse Lands, and beyond.

The city sits on the fast-moving Stoneheart River, which flows south from the Rasimsky Mountains through the deep forests surrounding the city and down all the way to the Lands of Yhimir. The river is full of rapids and falls, so traversing it has always been a challenge for traders and travelers without access to powerful magics or the ability to fly. Many a hardy adventure has tried to set up his/her own crossing of the river without much luck. Down from the city are the ruins of Allerborn, which was once a rival to Bard's Gate in the distant past. That town failed to see all travelers as potential patrons and it was destroyed for its hubris.

The peoples of Bard's Gate were more, accepting. The city doesn't restrict travelers by race or religion, although marauding barbarians and giants aren't welcome at the gates. The city is beacon of civilization in the eastern half of the Far North, although the urbane peoples of the lands south and west of the Rölheim and Stoneheim mountain ranges consider the City of Bards to be more of a city of thieves. Regardless, Bard's Gate is a vital trade route along the Northern Trade Trail. For while most of the travel routes from west to east are little more than trails, Bard's Gate has built decent roads that stretch from the western town of Upphammar to the eastern town of Strassen. And while Bard's Gate doesn't control every part of this road, it is the presence of the city that keeps the roads in good shape (for the most part).

There are brigands and worse in the Far North, so traveling the Northern Trade Trail is by no means safe. The northern half of the Oggelion Forest (often simply referred to as the Oggewood in Bard's Gate) is full of dangerous creatures. There are also the remnants of ancient elvish and dwarfish kingdoms that are still guarded by their ancestors. There is also the mountain range known as the Balinoks, which divide the Kingdom of Nilvah and the Lands of Ravenloft from the rest of the forest. Those mountains are considered to be haunted and deadly.

Hidden in an isolated region of grassy hills and dangerous moors is a land known as Hawkmoon. The peoples of Bard's Gate consider it a cursed land, although its primary city, also called Hawkmoon, is nearly as influential in the eastern half of the Far North as Bard's Gate. If it wasn't for its isolated nature, the city would be a great rival (and danger) to the City of Bards.

Directly north of Bard's Gate is the forest known as the Vlinnwood while directly to the south is the Tarwood. It is believed that these two forest were once one forest in the ancient past that connected to the massive Orochen Forest to the east and/or the Oggelion Forest to the west. (In truth, the Tarwood does run into the latter. The division is usually thought to be the elvish mountain ranges of Eranlond.)

As one travels farther east and southeast along the Northern Trade Trail, you eventually pass the Thasgamounts along the southern edge of Orochen. Smart travelers avoid the goblinoid towns and forts of Rarronas. Once there was a massive bridge across the Stoneheart and a peaceful rakasta town called Volane, at the point where the goblins now hold sway. The bridge is gone but the goblins bypass the river with underground caverns that are completely under their control. Once travelers have left the Northern Trade Trail behind, they have entered into the Lands of Yhimir — the first truly civilized land in Horse Lands.

This the reality of travel in the north, which is easiest to do through Bard's Gate. While there are those who brave the elven trails of the Oggelion Forest, it isn't possible for caravans. This makes Bard's Gate vital to trade in the Far North. Therefore, its citizens are highly protective of their way of life and their holding in and around the City of Bards. Towns such as Rambrouch, Wickrange, Ernzen, and Strassen are firmly under the city-state's control while the western towns of Varros, Thillen, Reckange, Taurmune, and Upphammar are controlled by the lords of the “Grand Duchy” — a neophyte kingdom with no true capital. (Reckange is the largest of these towns and its “Great Lord” wishes to become king of the Grand Duchy and likely Bard's Gate, as well.)

The 'road' from Reckange to Bard's Gate is known as the Merchant Road. Entry into the City of Bard's is through the West Gate. From the gate, travelers usually take Market Way to the Grand Plaza, the Market District (and some would say the city). The Grand Plaza is famous throughout the Far North. Almost anything can be found in its open-air markets. It is also the place for opportunities, for adventure. It is here that you have been directed by the note you mysteriously found on your person. All it said was:

“If you travel to Bard's Gate and enter the Market District, you will be lead to riches beyond any you've ever found before. Talk to Wilie at the Market Bridge. The toll has been paid for you and events have been set in motion. Good luck."
- S.H.​

You're not even sure how it got mixed into your possessions, but it's likely you'll only find out once you've met this Wilie fellow, if he even exists.

Trogdor1992

First Post
After reading the note and being allowed entry to the town Vak'tiel turns to Caldrin and asks him if they should indeed find this Wilie in the Market District and if they should perhaps find a tavern on the way to rest their weary legs and partake in some much needed drink.

Chuckfar

First Post
(Thoughts) Willie, is this guy really someone who can be of a benefit to me? It seems that after many a travels with Vak'tiel that the thought of money no matter how much, might help him get back home and help free his clan. I have vowed my help to him for coming to my rescue on one of the many bar fights I always seem to get myself into! SMH For me this is just another stop in the long road to finding the man who had my love murdered. Oh well here we go again another journey, another treasure, another group that might or might not make it through.
[MENTION=6801450]Trogdor1992[/MENTION] "Well we made it in without getting jumped. Lets try to find this Willie character. "

OOC:I will need to find a Place for stabling Marlee (horse) and get her some feed. I will ask around here to see if I can find willie(Gather info 14+5=19)

http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=98505

Trogdor1992

First Post
[MENTION=6801163]Chuckfar[/MENTION] "Agreed, but ensure you keep a watch on your belongings. I'm not thinking anyone's to strike against you with me at your side, but I'm not liking the looks of this place."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Kisep, kenku bard

Kisep carefully moves through the crowd past the market stalls on the Grand Plaza and its surrounding streets, looking this way and that, reveling in the noisy bustle. The kenku moves his head in a decidedly avian way, abruptly moving and holding still for about a second before looking at another person or object that caught his eye. Not unlike a sponge, the bird-man pays particular attention to all the sounds in this city: voices, accents, animal noises, tools being used, goods crashing into other goods; remembering as many details as he can and sometimes moving his large beak as if silently trying out a sound.

His exotic outfit, instrument and weapons are not out of place here; more than a few people dress in similarly foreign garbs and colors or carry items Kisep has never seen before and has trouble identifying. Even the presence of his raven familiar on his shoulder hardly stirs anyones interest; occasionally someone sees the odd similarity between the bird and the kenku, and grins before moving on. Cousin Corvus, as Kisep lovingly calls the bird, is too distracted by the presence of foodstuffs and shiny objects to notice.

There is no clear goal to his wandering, but Kisep keeps an eye out for the so-called Wilie. Unsure whether he should trust anyone that would leave a note in his pocket, unnoticed, instructing a stranger to seek out an acquintance (or himself) for some shady business, the kenku intends to observe this Wilie person a bit before either leaving quietly or introducing himself. At the very least, the mysterious writer had made his entry into the city a whole lot easier than the bird-man was used to.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caldrin and Vak'tiel:
After passing through the West Gate, the duo are immediately overwhelmed by the number of people walking through the streets. A wide street stretches out before them. Shops of all sorts line what they quickly hear called Market Street.

"The best wares on all of Market Street!" "Forget the stuffy old merchants of Armament Row, I've got the best blades in the Far North!"

Twice, Caldrin is accosted by urchins who beg for coins. He catches one lad trying to lift his pouch, but he can't catch the boy's arm before the urchin in gone into mass of peoples. "Watch your belongings, stranger," a guard cautions him. "We in the Market Watch can't be everywhere at once."

Vak'tiel's appearance draws some wary looks. Common-folk hide their children from him while several young street toughs gawk at him and his horns. He also gets some whistles from a strange motley of maids with bodies like a goat. "Ibixian maids. Watch out for their ram-mates," another watchman warns Vak'tiel. "Even the brothers can be overprotective."

"If you need a place to stay, you can try the Nightgate Inn over there, but I don't recommend it, the first guard says. "It's not gate curfew yet, so you might want to try one of the inns near the Grand Plaza. The Felled Ogre is good. And there is the Inn of Six Candles. Pricey, But from what I hear, its worth it."

"Don't forget The Earnest Traveller over on Merchant's Circus," his partner notes. "Good place. Just don't go past Woodie's Wood Box. That's the Canal District. Dangerous place for outsiders. So, what brings you two to Bard's Gate?"

"Git!" The other guard shoos away more urchins.

OOC: BTW, the time of the day is early evening. It isn't quite dusk yet, but soon.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Kisep:
Kisep carefully moves through the crowd past the market stalls on the Grand Plaza and its surrounding streets, looking this way and that, reveling in the noisy bustle. The kenku moves his head in a decidedly avian way, abruptly moving and holding still for about a second before looking at another person or object that caught his eye. Not unlike a sponge, the bird-man pays particular attention to all the sounds in this city: voices, accents, animal noises, tools being used, goods crashing into other goods; remembering as many details as he can and sometimes moving his large beak as if silently trying out a sound.

His exotic outfit, instrument and weapons are not out of place here; more than a few people dress in similarly foreign garbs and colors or carry items Kisep has never seen before and has trouble identifying. Even the presence of his raven familiar on his shoulder hardly stirs anyones interest; occasionally someone sees the odd similarity between the bird and the kenku, and grins before moving on. Cousin Corvus, as Kisep lovingly calls the bird, is too distracted by the presence of foodstuffs and shiny objects to notice.

There is no clear goal to his wandering, but Kisep keeps an eye out for the so-called Wilie. Unsure whether he should trust anyone that would leave a note in his pocket, unnoticed, instructing a stranger to seek out an acquintance (or himself) for some shady business, the kenku intends to observe this Wilie person a bit before either leaving quietly or introducing himself. At the very least, the mysterious writer had made his entry into the city a whole lot easier than the bird-man was used to.
Kisep notes several shop names around the edge of the Grand Plaza: Mar's Magical Poultices. The Felled Ogre. (Looks decent.) The Inn of the Six Candles. (Likely overpriced.) Xacanthia's Magical Transcriptions. He notes that almost every building is either one- or two-stories with most being the latter. Every building is a shop with what looks like residences above them. Finally, he comes near a place called Helman's Bar.

It stands just northwest of a large bridge that spans one of the larger canals. Market Bridge, by the sounds of the city. (He also hears mention of a bridge on the southside of the Canal District.) He quickly finds that this Wilie fellow isn't hard to miss, despite his size. A small-folk. What humans call halflings. He stands near the bridge on a large soapbox and chats up everyone who walks by.

Kisep quickly learns that Wilie's job seems to be to collect a public tax or toll for wagons and sedan chairs that pass over the bridge. No one complains about paying it. In fact, most take the time to chat with the friendly halfling like he's an old friend. And, in some cases, it seems to truly be the case.

"You wouldn't be thinking of stealing from ol' Wilie, would you birdy?" The voice speaks in near perfect kenku from behind him. (Not easy.) Kisep didn't hear the person at all. Another halfling steps up next to him and gives him a stern look. "That's a friend of mine, so you better tell me that you're just curious, and make me believe it, or I'll whistle for the Lyreguard."

Chuckfar

First Post
CALDRIN

While listening to the guards speak of places to rest, caldrin double knots his pouches to make sure no one can get to them easily.
To the guards "Thank you for the help gentlemen is it always this rough around here?" "We are in search of a man who goes by the name Wilie, we hear he hangs around the Market bridge mostly. Do you happen to know anything about this fella? Or could you point us in the direction of the Market Bridge?"

After listening to the guards response, caldrin turns, to answer Vak'tiel "Yes I think the Felled ogre should do, Not into spending too much just for a place to lay my head. Plus I'm not fond of staying in to shady sounding places."

Thoughts "I'm a pretty good pick pocket but not sure I would try anything around here, there are way too many guards watching. I wonder if the watch is this tight all over the city?"

OOC: if the guards point us in the right direction we will start heading towards the market bridge. Keeping a closer eye on our belongings as we go. If we find this Wilie then I will ask him if the Initials S. H. mean anything to him? If he does not know what I am talking about I will show him the letter I received."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases