D&D 5E What classes do you want added to 5e?

rfkannen

Villager
Well I saw "how many 5e fans want a warlord/warden" threads and it got me thinking, now that 5e has been going on for a while, what classes do you want? What classes do you think we need? What class do you want first? Why?

the Jester

Legend
The only full classes I see a need for are the psionicist and the warlord. You can kind of fudge a warlord in 5e, but only kind of. I miss them.

As for psionics, instead of a ton of different psionic classes a la 3e and 4e, I'd prefer to see a single psionicist class and then subclasses of other classes that allowed for a psionic dip, sort of like the eldritch knight or arcane trickster.

Ristamar

Adventurer
While not classes per se, I'd like to see some campaign specific sub-classes added. I'm a fan of Dragonlance so I'd like to see subclasses for Wizards of High Sorcery and Knights of Solamnia.

This.

Aside from my curiosity regarding a Psionic class, I'm not terribly interested in new classes unless they're campaign specific. I do find the other UA class stuff interesting (excluding the last Ranger build), but I'm fine with it being officially unofficial.

rfkannen

Villager
While not classes per se, I'd like to see some campaign specific sub-classes added. I'm a fan of Dragonlance so I'd like to see subclasses for Wizards of High Sorcery and Knights of Solamnia.

Yeah i am supprised we haven't gotten more of these yet, I know we are getting purple dragon knights, but I think we are going to get a lot more.

The only full classes I see a need for are the psionicist and the warlord. You can kind of fudge a warlord in 5e, but only kind of. I miss them.

As for psionics, instead of a ton of different psionic classes a la 3e and 4e, I'd prefer to see a single psionicist class and then subclasses of other classes that allowed for a psionic dip, sort of like the eldritch knight or arcane trickster.

On the warlord, yeah a nonmagical leader would be cool, I am glad they were not in the phb as I feel that kind of thing should be more of a splat book thing, but I still think it is a worthy idea

Yep agree with you on psionics as well, I think that the mystic is going to go pretty well, but well need more levels to figure that out. I really liked the immortal, I always loved psychic warriors but it might be my favorite, I really want that finished up :D

4E shaman and fighter.
the shaman sounds resonable, I think they mentioned shamans were one of the most requested classes.
Isn't the fighter already in 5e? If you mean the 4e one in 5e isn't that just a defense style fighter with sentinal?

I would like to see the Artificer from Eberron as a class. It just doesn't feel right as a wizard subclass to me.
Omg yes, I liked the idea they had as a shared class with other crafters, but It really didn't fit with wizards, needs to be more crafty. I like to have some steampunk in my games and artificers are awesome for that

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well I saw "how many 5e fans want a warlord/warden" threads and it got me thinking, now that 5e has been going on for a while, what classes do you want? What classes do you think we need? What class do you want first? Why?
The remaining classes that were in an earlier PH1, first: The Psion (already in the pipeline as the 'mystic') and Warlord.

Then prettymuch whatever you really /can't/ do right yet. Maybe some more martial classes if the Warlord doesn't use much design space. Some of the things that I notice the lack of are more slices of classes. The fighter can't be used for everything the 3.x fighter could, nor does it handle a dedicated defender like the Essentials Knight - the latter could be an archetype, the former could be a whole 'nuther class or few, or some more radical build option.

Others are probably full classes: Artificer, Swordmage, Shaman, Avenger, etc...

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The power copier, the blue mage, the Kirby, the Mega Man...

I want to breathe lightning back in the blue dragon's face and see how they like it. They're immune but I wanna make the point! Dangnabbit!!

Artificer.
That is all.

There's narrative room for lots. A dedicated shapeshifter class, a shaman, a witch, etc. But most of those aren't D&D. They'd be cool in a campaign setting built around them, but they don't *need* to exist. That's the kind of content that'd be better in a 3PP.

--edit--
Y'know, I'd also accept a cool alchemist class. But that'd be acceptable as an artificer subclass. Or vice versa.

And a shaman class for savage spellcasters would be okay. But a druid subclass or alternate class would serve for that.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Other than the Psychic/"Mystic", none. And that, as someone else pointed out, just need the [few] solid/"full psionic" subclasses there. Then the rest can be the Psychic Warrior fighter, a "soulblade" monk, and whatever a psychic rogue was called.

Everything else (including, honestly, a "basic" psychic powers psychic/mystic) is doable via subclasses.

Fighters: Warlords, Cavaliers/Knights
Rogues: Acrobats, Swashbucklers
Druids: Shamans, maybe Witches, maybe Wardens
Bards: maybe Wardens, maybe Shamans
Rangers: maybe Wardens
Sorcerers: maybe Psychics, Elementalists, Shadowcasters, maybe Alchemists
Wizards: maybe Elementalists, maybe Witches

Artificers, High Sorcery/Solamnic Knights, "Defiler druids" [or whatever they arefrom Dark Sun], etc.. all belong in their respective setting-specific book, material, supplement,whether they will be suclasses (which I think they all are) or "unique"-to-the-setting full classes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases