Hurricane Joaquine

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Isn't there a cubic factor (V^3) for wind/current, because not only is the energy per unit volume increasing at (v^2), but also more unit volumes (at a rate of v) are passing by? I remember reading something like that for water currents, and would expect the same for wind.

Nope. Energy of wind goes like v^2. So, Patricia's 200 mph winds are about twice as damaging as Hurricane Andrew's 165 mph winds. 200mph winds are enough to strip bark off trees that remain standing.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
But ...

Sorry about the formatting. See the original wiki page for a proper view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_stream_generator

Energy calculations
Turbine power
Tidal energy converters can have varying modes of operating and therefore varying power output. If the power coefficient of the device " C_P" is known, the equation below can be used to determine the power output of the hydrodynamic subsystem of the machine. This available power cannot exceed that imposed by the Betz limit on the power coefficient, although this can be circumvented to some degree by placing a turbine in a shroud or duct. This works, in essence, by forcing water which would not have flowed through the turbine through the rotor disk. In these situations it is the frontal area of the duct, rather than the turbine, which is used in calculating the power coefficient and therefore the Betz limit still applies to the device as a whole.

The energy available from these kinetic systems can be expressed as:

P = (( \rho A V^3 ) / 2 ) C_P
where:

C_P = the turbine power coefficient
P = the power generated (in watts)
\rho = the density of the water (seawater is 1027 kg/m³)
A = the sweep area of the turbine (in m²)
V = the velocity of the flow
Relative to an open turbine in free stream, ducted turbines are capable of as much as 3 to 4 times the power of the same turbine rotor in open flow.[47]

Thx!
TomB

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Right, but my initial message didn't specify what the cubic factor was for. Didn't say energy, just that it was there in considering wind and water currents. (But, if you look at energy flow across a cross section, that *does* increase with a cubic factor.)

But that's not really the point. What does that mean in regards the destructive potential of a wind/current, and how it scales with speed?

I can only vaguely remember what I remember reading. Something to the effect that water currents are much more dangerous at higher speeds than might be expected. A caution to folks who have to deal with a current.

This seems like the sort of thing that would be covered in an engineering course; was hoping that someone could provide more in depth information.

As an example of how this is important, an increase from 175 to 200 mph represents either a 30% increase (square factor) or a 50% increase (cube factor).

Thx!
TomB

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The current I am most likely to run afoul of is electrical current. Not much needed to stop a person. Of course the Velocity of electrons are a bit higher then hurricane wind Velocity being at C

Remove ads