The Lich (Origins)

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Where did the lich come from?

Namely, when did it first appear as a monster? Who created it? Why? What gave them the idea?

These are not meant to be "in-game" questions, but out-of-game questions.

Many thanks to anyone who can provide an answer.

graydoom

First Post
Just bumping this... I would like to know, too. I've never considered this... I've assumed that some fantasy author or game creator thought up the idea of a powerful magic-user that used his magic to achieve immortality through the dark arts... but I don't actually know anything.

MythandLore

First Post
I *think* (I can't remeber for sure) Lich (Middle English) comes from Lic (Old English) for a dead body or corpse. (95% Likely :) )

If anyone can find an online Old English or Middle Engish Dictionary you could find out for sure.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Hmm... The only thing I've found is in GURPS Undead:

"Since the lich is largely a modern-day fantasy construct, it isn't steeped in folklore, although undead sorcerers in general are all somewhat lich-like (e.g., Koschei the Undying from Russian folklore...)" *shrug* It's a start, I guess... ;)

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
Hmm

While I'm not familiar with the original 1E Monster Manual (before my time), I do know that the Demilich appeared in the Monster Manual II. Thus, I think it's a safe assumption that the Lich was in AD&D from the start (not sure about Original D&D though). The GURPs quote above seems to imply that the Lich is actually a construct of D&D and did not appear before then. I know there was a Lich in the first Final Fantasy game (along with some monsters that looks suspiciously like illithids), but that was probably borrowed from D&D as well.

If I had to guess, I would consider the Lich to be D&D's version of that "undead sorcerer" type. Of course, Col_Pladoh can probably put all questions here to rest.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases