MiPS Lost Mine Part II

GameDoc

Explorer
OOC: Somewhere along the way in putting together Vottr's personality, I decided he gives everyone nicknames. If he likes you, they're descriptive or maybe a shorter version of your name. If he doesn't like you, they're crude and insulting. Kind of like Sawyer on "Lost".

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Castagyr, Dragonborn Paladin

[section]
[sblock=Mini-stats]Castagyr
Init +1, Speed 20
AC 18; HP 18; Current: 18
Conditions in effect: Fire resistance
Dragon Breath: 1/1 avail
Divine Sense: 3/3 avail
Healing Hands: 10/10 points avail
Spells: 2/2 points avail (Bless, Command, Wrathful Smite)
Weapon in Hand: Lance
[/sblock]​
[/section]Castagyr nodded a greeting to Brlo's cousin as he joined him. The nickname had not bothered the paladin.

He replied to the question, “Aye, at some point.”

“I said I would help her is the journey from here took me in the direction of Conyberry's ruins. I was hoping to learn more about where we are heading to try rescuing your relative first. That quest would be more pressing than a friendly errand for the Sister.”

tuxgeo

Adventurer
After he wakes, Eddicus spends several minutes praying to Oghma, then trying to clear his head. He feels rested and ready for adventure, but he is still trying to encompass the changes that his deity has wrought within him, and to ready himself for their potential use. How shall he recognize the situations that call for him to detect magic in the future? He doesn't know; but he imagines that if he were in an abandoned library, it would serve as a tool for finding any magical tomes within. He is less unsure about his newfound ability to channel his god's power: if there are undead about, use that; if many in the party are near defeat, use the other.
OOC: I removed the dagger from Eddicus' equipment list, because he handed that to a then-unarmed Leonan at the cave.

With his head mostly cleared of religious questions, Eddicus gears up and heads down to the common room. He joins Vottr and Castagyr for breakfast.
He nods to Vottr cheerfully; then turning to the paladin, he ventures an answer to the previous night's question: "Good morning, Sir! I'm almost awake enough this morning to address the question you asked last night, so these are my thoughts on my next moves: First, I want to find this 'Sister Garaele' and pay my respects to the local religious figure, since that is the business I'm in. Professional Courtesy. Second, a short trip to Barthens Provisioners should give me a chance to buy a new dagger or two, which I need because I gave away my previous dagger to a person who had no weapon. Third, I was thinking of asking any townsfolk who are interested in talking of such things about the topic of known hobgoblin strongholds around here, because the chief of the goblins we encountered said there was such a stronghold away from town, and the hobbos would strive only for victory or death, not talking. I hope that answers your question to your satisfaction, because that is all I have right now.

Eddicus orders breakfast, then adds: "However, food might stir up my mind to think of other things, as may be." He smiles at his own precarious optimism.

Axel

First Post
Brlo had risen before the sun, as was his custom - drink or no. He found the cool pre-dawn air and half light to be relaxing and conducive to resolving his problems. Chief among them - Uncle Gundren's kidnapping.

For that, Brlo had no answer as he walked through a stony patch of land, watching the night animals scurry to safety before the rising sun gave heir daytime hunters an edge. I do not know enough! Goblins have taken uncle, but where? And why?! Who would know to answer either question?

The dwarf stopped walking, lest his his growing shadow startle the small animals. A realisation struck him almost forcefully, causing Brlo to lean heavily on his wooden staff.

Recovered from his moment of weakness, Brlo shouted to the heavens his thanks for the realisation. "O'course! T'animals! Thanks b'always yours, Moradin f'the gift I'knowledge!"

Animals
animals

The rocks echoed back at him. And with that, Brlo turned back to the town with a purposeful stride.

Bursting in the front door, it was obvious to the others that Brlo was excited about something. "I b'havin' a revelation this mornin'!" he declared, rolling his "r's" more than normal. "Moradin be praised fer showin' me t'way t'Uncle."

Grinning like a fool, he continued. "T'little animals, y'see? He show'd me 'ow t'talk to 'em. If anyone b'seein' where they go, it be t'little animals!"

With that cryptic explanation, he sat down at the table for a breakfast beer and large chunks of black bread with lard.

ooc: no surprises for guessing Brlo learns speak with animals as a spell... :)

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Castagyr, Dragonborn Paladin

[section]
Init +1, Speed 20
[/sblock]​
[/section]Castagyr nodded as he realized that the other adventurers with Brlo’s cousin had not learned where to go next to follow-up on the rumors yet.

“Who all have you asked so far, Eddicus? I will admit that I have not had much luck finding information on the rumors of goblins and bandits before coming in here last night. There was talk of some local thugs here in town, the Redbrands.”

“However, I had not actually inquired about hobgoblins and their stronghold locations. Mayhap the bard here last night would know? Or the town’s constable.”

With Brlo's arrival and declaration that he knew how to find his uncle he asked, “Sounds good, my friend.”

“However, you have to be sure you ask the right animals and they have to have the memory to be able to answer. Too bad he could not teach you to speak to trees instead? They would likely know better.”

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
As if summoned by mention, the bard appears bleary eyed in the common room.
"Girl, some strong breakfast and a drink, coffee if you have it, cider otherwise."

Finding the group already awake and in discussion he approaches rubbing his face
"Sorry for sleeping in, I had no chance at normal bed in some time. Goblins are not known for comfortable beds. What's the plan?

We need to move fast, but not miss something important while we're here. I think it would be wise investment of our time to talk to local businesses, we need supplies anyhow...and see if anyone knows anything. There could be people like that maimed sister that need help we can provide on the way. Or out of the way farms, logging camps and similar we could use as waystop. I'll talk to some local woodmen, our bartender and others of the history of this town, maybe there is lost keep somewhere nearby that could be good hideout for goblinoids."

As waitress brings him his breakfast, he sits primly and eats cleanly, his time with goblins only sharpening his manners in an attempt to keep his identity intact.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Between bites of breakfast, Eddicus answers Castagyr's latest question by saying, "So far, I've only been to the provisioner's store and here, so I have only asked Elmar Barthen about it -- and all I asked him for was to try to think of anyone who might have more information. Yeah, I went straight for the leads."

He pauses as he thinks that his answer doesn't sound like much, so he goes on to explain further, "Ah, we were all tired and much in need of rest last night, so I took to supper and bed rather than inquire further then. This morning looks to be a good time to get more answers, though."

He thinks some more about what Castagyr has said. "Redbrands, hummm? If that's a big local problem, we'll hear more about it, I guess."

After breakfast, Eddicus takes out the leather sheath for the dagger he had handed to Leonan at the cave, and sets that down by the now-rested bard/sorcerer with a wink, and asks Leonan to keep it and use it well. He reclaims his seat at the table and gets ready to coordinate plans once everyone of them feels ready to talk about them.

Last edited:

GameDoc

Explorer
"Seems like we got two jobs if we're to be helpin' each other out," Vottr says. ""Figure out where them hobgoblins took Uncle Gundren and check in on the lady cleric... After Ed gets a new dagger, of course."

He turns to the inkeeper. "Toben, would ye know of anyplace hereabouts where hobgoblins might make a hideout?"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I'll meet you here in couple of hours. I have to equip for travel."

He is alredy dressed better then half the populace in the town, but obviously there is something wrong with what he's wearing.

Bard goes off, buying new clothes, new dagger, new strings for his instrument, talking to people, joking and in general spending more then he should.

OOC: Trying to find out about local history, local problems and strange going ons. Leaving 1gp "just in case" - spending everything else on new dagger, new clothes (he is bored with the ones he has on even repaired as they are) and some supplies (no idea about the cost, leave the clothes off if there is problem getting new ones - he is prepared to exchange his own for new ones)

perrinmiller

Adventurer
[section]
Init +1, Speed 20
[/sblock]​
[/section]Castagyr was still waiting to hear from the innkeeper on the old bard's location, figuring the man would know some information that could help.

Since they were concluding their breaking of fasting, he rose as he was about ready to take the cleric to see the Sister.

“Eddicus, I am about ready to go. Just as soon as we hear if Toben has some information.”

“After seeing Sister Garaele, then I think I would like to see about finding the Constable. It looks like that is the plan this morn. We all go ask around for information about where we might look for these hobgoblins. Though, we might consider that to really help these folk, we might have to help with their local problem. Then they would be more apt to aid us in our endeavors.”

Remove ads