MiPS Lost Mine Part II

mips42

Adventurer
'If each person takes their own room, it's a silver a day per person, good dwarf. The rooms are 5 copper per night, meal and ale also 5 copper.'

GameDoc

Explorer
Vottr lays a silver piece down on the counter. "Here ye go, Innkeeper"' and turning to Eddicus, "If we stay two nights, ye can pay tomorrow. Otherwise we can settle up later. That okay with ye?"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I would also like to eat something before evening. And clean up a little bit. Thank you, Garret.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Eddicus also pays for a meal and ale, and thanks the man for the information. He heads to the rooms along with any of the others who go there, so he can stow his backpack, plus his shortbow and arrows, before the meal.

OOC: Will update character sheet to subtract the CPs. (Or do we need to track that?)

Last edited:

mips42

Adventurer
Toben hands a key to Sildar and then one to Vottr and Leonan. 'Feel free to put your personal belongings in the rooms. There are wash basins and water in the rooms if you'd like to wash up before eating.' With that, Toben exits to what you presume is the kitchen.
A few moments later, a older man enters. He is medium height with close-cropped silver hair and beard, his jerkin is soiled and patch, as is his fur lined vest, and his leather hose are patched at both knees with a length of rope as a belt. 'Well met, good sirs' he says as he passes by you and takes a seat near the hearth.
As soon as he sits, the common room gets quieter and his voice, rich with tone and clarity, begins to speak.

[sblock=Grat's story]
'Before history began, there was nothing. No land, no sea, no air, no stars or moons. All was as empty as this table before me' A small titter ripples across the room. The matron quickly brings a mug, cup and a small plate of food to the table and quickly leaves.
'Then Bahamet and the other goodly Gods looked out over this blackness and commanded light! But no light appeared. The commanded the land, sea and air to form, but they did not. Bahamet himself rose his mighty fist and commanded the stars and moons to exist but, again, the inky blackness stared back at him, unmoved by His commands.
'Then, the dark gods came. Gruumsh, Lolth, Asmodeus and the rest, The dark maiden Tiamat at their front. She said unto them "What ever might the matter be, brothers?"
And they did reply "We wish for a place to have fish and fowl, birds and plants and Men also but it will not form."
'"Ah" said she in her guise as a beautiful maiden with a multi-hued gown, "I know the reason, though it will not please thee."
'The goodly gods did stare at each other in confusion. How could she, the face of wickedness, now something that they did not? They did ask "what is it you know, Queen of Darkness? why will the heavens not answer us?"
'Now, in truth this was because She and the other dark ones had broken the spells of the goodly gods. However, she said unto the Goodly Gods "Why, it is because you are trying to create perfection, of course. No bird nor beast nor man may survive in perfection. He would become lazy and do no thing that was not needed. For Men to survive, they need imperfection."
'The goodly gods looked at each other, this seemed to not make sense and They did say unto Her "Why is this so?"
'"Men," she did reply "cannot be perfect, though you may create them for, in perfection, they become as gossamer and cannot stand even the slightest imperfection. But, in imperfection, men can stand, work and strive. They can hope, dream and call unto You to fulfill them that one thing that would destroy them utterly. And so, in order to bring the stars, moons, lands, seas and men also into being, you require Imperfection. to put it plainly," She said with a grin all of sweetness and malice "You need Us" And she did sweep her arms out to bring her fellow dark gods into the circle with her.
'The goodly gods were sore pressed. They had striven to create and had been denied, seemingly by their own perfection. For a time they did confer and, in the end, did agree to work with Her and the others and, together, did they cause the stars and moons to be. With mere thought did they create the lands, seas, fish and fowl. And finally, did they create the intelligent races. Humans, Elves, Dwarves and all the rest and, in their hears they put the desire for perfection that the goodly gods did shine by example but also did the dark Gods put the capacity for cruelty and greed.
'Finally, when all was complete, the gods did look upon their creation and did bless it, and the world became whole, though a fully imperfect whole.'
[/sblock]
The crowd looked to each other and a small bit of applause was given as Grat empted the cup and sipped from the mug. Toben showed up from the back then and put a single copper into the cup, then grasped hands with the silver haired man who you presume is Grat.
Toben then shows you to a large table with platters of food on them.
As you begin to tuck in, you see another Dwarf and a tall, Gold Dragonborn enter the front door.

Last edited:

Neurotic

Leonan takes his plate
"Excuse me, gentlemen, I'll be at yon table with the old talespinner."

He walks toward the table
"May I sit, good bard?"
After the introductions, Leonan offers to speak his stories, sing few songs and in general attract some audience. He speaks to the old man with respect, asking for his permission before beginning and offering his own stories to be exchanged later.

GameDoc

Explorer
Vottr walks over a tosses a copper in the cup. "A fine tale, Storyteller. Although ye were forgettin' the part where Moradin forged the chain to bind the Dark Queen to hell and Clangeddin poked out Gruumsh's eye then kicked him in the arse fer good measure."

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Eddicus eats slowly, listening to the tale being told. As a dwarf and a dragonborn enter the common room, Eddicus has his mug in his hand, so he glances their way and raises the mug in an informal salute or acknowledgement. "Belsalmon of the evening, good gents!" he calls to them. "Pike any seat you like to perch on. Things are starting to get interesting."

Eddicus sits at the large table and savors the taste of the brew after he finishes eating his plate of food. He'll toss a coin into the cup at the storyteller's table, but he plans to do that after he finishes his mug of ale; and he plans to return to the large table afterward. The glare of the firelight is too close to the center of attention for a non-entertainer such as he is.

mips42

Adventurer
[sblock=Leonan]
'Bard? You give me too much credit young man. I am but an itinerant storyteller. I wander from town to town an my mood suits me and tell stories for food, drink and a place to sleep. there are worse lives.'
Toben stops by again and delivers a small plate of food, some roasted fowl and some grapes, to Grat and a larger, fuller plate to you.
As he begins to eat, Grat encourages you to tell a story or play a song or whatever might increase the meager change in his bowl.
[/sblock]
With a bit of a sly grin and a mouth full of food, the storyteller winks at Vottr.

Neurotic

Leonan nods at the old man, eats in peace and then stings his cittern. After short tuning he starts his entertainment.

He plays a well known tune for the audience then another one. He announces:
"If you want to fetch someone dear to you, I'll wait for a short time, I'll be playing some dancing songs next."

He plays several known songs waiting for the tavern to fill somewhat. If he notices couples arriving, he changes the songs to dancing tunes. After the dance he settles down.

"A short story of the heroes ancient and new, known and unknown. I will share with you a story of a greedy noble burning all around him. Of valiant heroes and road bandits."
Strumming his instrument as a background he tells the story of a powerful noble falling in love with a maiden of lesser noble house. Not accepting the rejection, he destroys said family and takes the unwilling bride only to be brought down later by a traveling minstrel who learned of girls plight.

He then tells of common guards, traveling the road when ambushed by bandits. Those bandits were routed, followed to their lair. The guards, above and beyond call of duty decided to cleanse the place. After fighting the war dogs that served as forward guards to the camp, they fought bandits blood for blood in confined spaces. They freed a man who joined their cause. They freed another prisoner to weak from the captivity to fight. Finally, they confronted the bandit king.

At the ending of story, Leonan tells that the bandits were peaceful people forced into banditry by a powerful king, holding their kids hostage. Only at the description of the final moment does he reveal that the bandits are goblins (and that without any special fanfare, just something that lets listeners know that goblins are the bandits (and prisoners) from the start of the tale). He avoids telling that the king fell under goblin spears instead describing combined might of the guards, mighty strikes, priestly spells and precise arrows bringing down the powerful chief.

OOC: I'm not the story teller, so you'll have to imagine the rhymes and sing-song voice accompanied by appropriate music :)

"The roads will be safe for some time around the town thanks to these guards, heroes unsung before now."
"Mighty Vottr whos strength fells trees as easily as his enemies!" he pulls the dwarf to his feet raising his arm
"Righteouss Eddicus whos faith guides him in light." he motions for Eddicus to get up.
"Quick eyed Garret whos bolts kill a flea that jumped from bandit to his companion before killing the bandit! No leech escapes his vision." he motions toward Garret to follow.
"With heartfelt thanks, the rescued people thank you!" he gets up and bows to the heroes (hoping Sildar gets the hint and does the same).

After short pause, until everyone settles back (and he drinks some wine) Leonan looks around, checking for redbands in the audience before launching into his final story.
Final story:
"There was a warlord hailed as hero in times of war. But the war ended and his dreaded legion of Black Plumes (OOC:any relation to Red Bands or other Color + Decoration companies in accidental) couldn't do what they were good at. So he turned on his country, taking over a border keep and taking what he wanted from the populace. Having too many of his soldiers still, he took youths from the villages and went to conquer another keep, then small town. As his soldiers took what they wanted, they lived in luxury...and more people joined them for power and wealth. But as their numbers grew and people got poorer, they could take less and less. So they started culling their own ranks with acceptance tests of might and skill. Finally, the warlord brought up some laws, harsh as he was, but laws nonetheless. The laws felt by the lowest of his soldiers, but not by the commanding officers as it commonly happens. As the people got poorer, so did common soldiers. Finally, the soldiers were left with small pay, barely surviving populace and harsh laws they didn't want or need. Such is the way of taking. Finally, the people had enough! The resistance grew and dissatisfied soldiers joined them and evicted the remaining forces loyal to the warlord."

OOC: an attempt to sow discontent in any listening redbands and reminding people that their safety and lives are in their own hands. Also, if someone can find OotS comic with Tarquin describing his evil empire to Elan, I'd be grateful :)

Last edited:

Remove ads