Amazon's best 100 sci-fi and fantasy books

Nellisir

Hero
Why if I may ask? It's one of the books which I re-read yearly along with a few others.</sigh>

Personally, I found it simplistic and overly-reliant on cutesy contemporary references (which is something a lot of people enjoy, just not handled to my taste there); it retreaded ground that had been covered better earlier without offering any new insights; and the tokenism was just...

I returned it. I honest to god took it back to the store and returned it. I've NEVER done that.

I'm totally cool with you liking it. Different strokes for different folks, n' all that.

What other books do you reread?

Personally, I found it simplistic and overly-reliant on cutesy contemporary references (which is something a lot of people enjoy, just not handled to my taste there); it retreaded ground that had been covered better earlier without offering any new insights; and the tokenism was just...

I returned it. I honest to god took it back to the store and returned it. I've NEVER done that.

I'm totally cool with you liking it. Different strokes for different folks, n' all that.

What other books do you reread?

The Dresden Files, I used to re read LotR and The Hobbit,but I got bored with those so i stopped, The Gone series by Michael Grant, A time to kill,The Rainmaker,Runaway Jury,World War Z,Harry Turtledove's 191-Timeline and World War series, Scott Pilgrim Vs the world, John Brigham's Without Warning and Axis of Time trilogies, and that's off the top of my head......

The one book that I wish i hadn't bought, I can't remember the name of it but it's plot was severely dumb, it was one of those "The US economy collapses and for some reason the UN intervenes but local militias save the day" books,

Nellisir

Hero
The Dresden Files, I used to re read LotR and The Hobbit,but I got bored with those so i stopped, The Gone series by Michael Grant, A time to kill,The Rainmaker,Runaway Jury,World War Z,Harry Turtledove's 191-Timeline and World War series, Scott Pilgrim Vs the world, John Brigham's Without Warning and Axis of Time trilogies, and that's off the top of my head......
It's always cool to see how two people can be well-read in a genre, and still barely intersect. Of all those books, I've read World War Z. Most of them I've barely heard of. It's likely we approach Ready Player One from radically different angles, and thus get radically different things out of it.

The one book that I wish i hadn't bought, I can't remember the name of it but it's plot was severely dumb, it was one of those "The US economy collapses and for some reason the UN intervenes but local militias save the day" books,
I'm annoyed at how those books always turn New England into a nuclear wasteland or some kind of Puritan redoubt. That's fantasy thinking right there. :)

I've bought books and thought they were terrible, but I've never actually returned one for being terrible. Until RPO. ;)

It's always cool to see how two people can be well-read in a genre, and still barely intersect. Of all those books, I've read World War Z. Most of them I've barely heard of. It's likely we approach Ready Player One from radically different angles, and thus get radically different things out of it.
We're also in different age groups, and that has an effect too regarding RPO

Jhaelen

First Post
I've bought books and thought they were terrible, but I've never actually returned one for being terrible. Until RPO. ;)
I haven't done that, yet, either.

However, I've once thrown books into my garbage can, partially unread: Brian Lumley's Necroscope series.

I got the books after a friend recommended them to me, praising them highly. But after reading the first two, I couldn't find a single redeeming quality in them.
I've never been that disgusted by any book before and couldn't stand to have that drivel in my house any longer.

CaptainGemini

First Post
However, I've once thrown books into my garbage can, partially unread: Brian Lumley's Necroscope series.

I got the books after a friend recommended them to me, praising them highly. But after reading the first two, I couldn't find a single redeeming quality in them.
I've never been that disgusted by any book before and couldn't stand to have that drivel in my house any longer.

They get better over time, but overall the Necroscope series was not intended to be a light series or one you can read without accepting there's going to be a lot of horrible things described and done by every side. It really, really is one of those series I would recommend to someone who wants to get into the mindset of a necromancer.

All of the horrible things the main character does in the first book? Well, when you get to the final book dealing with him, you're really not surprised by the outcome. It was the only outcome possible for the life he lived.

It's a good series if you come to accept there are no good guys with the things they're doing. Given the time period it is set, this is not surprising.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases