Improvisation vs "code-breaking" in D&D

N'raac

First Post
EDIT: UGH! Sorry for the huge post!

You are ignoring the role of a referee (umpire, etc.) in a game. They stop the game, usually, to make a call. It can be done while the game continues on, but the actual players who are playing the game to achieve goals in it need to be informed of the judgment calls. Of course, most players are refereeing themselves and others too, but neutral referees are used - as in D&D - to insure adherence to the rules.

The traditional role of a referee (umpire etc.) is to adjudicate between two competing interests, such as the two sports teams on the field. In an RPG, there is only a single team on the field - the players, through their characters. Their opposition cannot stand up and call for a ruling - they are fictional. This is where we get the "killer DM" stereotype, the DM who treats the challenges he places as a measure of his own skills, and becomes an adversary to the players.

The wargame referee from which the DM evolved was also a neutral third party arbitrating rule disputes between two players (or teams) engaged in the game. The DM is much more a game participant (albeit one with a very different role) than the classic referee or umpire.

Kreigsspiel is a great game. "Free" Kriegsspiel isn't a game the same way the Calvinball isn't a game. People can attempt to treat such as an illusion as a game, but as I said before to @pemerton, most folks wouldn't play such as an actual game except ironically.

Interestingly from the terminology perspective, Kreogsspiel began as "Instructions for the Representation of Tactical Maneuvers under the Guise of a Wargame". IOW, it was viewed as the façade of a game, but not actually a game, by its own designers. You posit that the manner in which many play D&D makes it "no longer a game". I wonder when we pass the marker by which the creator of Kreogsspiel would perceive it being transformed into a game.

Wikipedia said:
Kriegsspiel in its original form was not particularly popular among the Prussian officer corps; The rules were cumbersome and games took much longer than the battles that they were supposed to represent. It was not until 1876 that General Julius von Verdy du Vernois had the idea of placing more power in the hands of the gamemaster in order to speed up the game and reduce the number of rules. von Verdy's “Free” Kriegspiel did away with many of the movement and combat rules in order to save time, giving the duty of deciding the effects of orders and combat to the gamemaster. This allowed players to play a game in real time, giving the players a better feel for the tension of actual combat. To retain military accuracy, von Verdy emphasized the necessity of using military experts as gamemasters. The new “Free” Kriegspiel soon gained more popularity than its predecessor (now known as “Strict” Kriegsspiel”); The Prussian (later German) General Staff used it both for its internal exercises and as a training tool.

Reading this history, it seems like the move to "Free" Kriegsspiel is extremely similar to the evolution of the classic wargame into D&D and other role playing games. It is interesting that you classify this evolution as moving away from "a game", especially as I suspect the original Kriegsspiel designer would likely have perceived "Free" Kriegsspiel as more of a game than his own model. It being 64 years later, his views cannot actually be known, of course.

I note other games by the same name exist, though I presume the reference to "Free" Kriegsspiel indicates we are discussing the original and its evolution.

But there are points scored and definitive endgame conditions for every player and the campaign itself. Specifically, retirement or loss of character individually and as a whole).

First, one criticism of the experience model in early versions of D&D was that the gaining of "points" (xp) often failed to correspond to successes of the characters. For example, if their goal was to protect the local village from the depredations of nearby monster tribes, they were rewarded for killing and looting the monsters. But they could also earn both xp and gold for killing the villagers and looting their village. They would not, however, be rewarded as well for driving off the monsters, and not at all for negotiating a peace treaty between the village and the monsters which could allow both to become far more prosperous.

Where are these defined "endgame conditions"? Many games, especially from OD&D to AD&D 2e, had no plan for an "end" to the game. Characters continued adventuring more or less in perpetuity, gaining higher and higher levels. At about 9 - 11 level (dependent on the class), advancement became extremely slow. 3e accelerated level gains, and also capped them, setting a target for character retirement, but not a campaign goal, however by that point, I suggest the game had evolved from the roots you are focused on.

Finally, from the player's perspective "dead character" and "retired character" have pretty similar outcomes - the player creates and brings in a new character. We certainly don't tally up victory points and declare a player "the winner" at the end of the typical campaign, even when it has "an end" rather than just dying out.

If you defined games as exclusively needing a winner determined, then perhaps Name Level could be assigned for each player. I think this could be detrimental to cooperative (not collaborative) games. D&D is after all not about winning, but about succeeding. About players actually improving themselves according to the test which is the game design. IMnshO, D&D's initial design is at the heart of what games are. Quite unlike group storytelling.

Emphasis added - this is commonly presented as a reason why D&D (and other RPG's) differ markedly from games people are more familiar with - they lack a defined endpoint, defined conditions of victory and a defined winner.

Neither of us could know, right? Because they still so wanted to play a game, even a broken one? Because no one knew how to fix it without ruining the game, (i.e. the mechanical balance)?

So your interpretation, then, is that this group continued for months despite the fact no one was having any fun. That seems highly unlikely to me. I would also note that the detractors of each and every edition of D&D typically point to some element which they refer to as "broken". Presumably, then, the game you are playing is just as objectively "broken"* as the game played by those in the anecdote.

* Which is to say, not at all. That people are still playing and enjoying it means, at least to me, that it cannot objectively be "broken".

You're questions make no sense. You're asking where are the rules for "this behavior" in a game that doesn't have those game elements as having that behavior?

[grammarnazi]Might we apply another "non-game's" rules? "You're" means "You are". I believe you are seeking a possessive which would be "your".[/grammarnazi]

To the reality, you have claimed the DM must adjudicate solely from the rules. The examples I provided can all be easily envisioned as arising in a game, and have no defined rules for adjudication in D&D, although greater structure has evolved over time. The jump to social skills in 3e is, IMO, the clearest example of a jump in evolution, but still leaves considerable judgment required by the DM. The only game I can think of where there is a rule given for dealing with matters which are not covered by the rules is Toon, which quite simply states there are two possibilities - a thing will happen, or it will not, so flip a coin. Every other game instructs the GM to exercise best judgment in assigning probabilities to results and adjudicating the outcome.

Judgement refers to assessing the state of the game board according to the rule pattern preset. New DM material comes from die roll generation to determine outcomes. All new player material need only be defined as needed to deal with the current action, with all the rest abstracted.

My hobgoblin example provided the state of the game board, saw the players take what I think most of us would consider a reasonable, permissible action and asked how you would apply the rules to set the die roll required and the possible outcomes. No such rules exist. GM improvisation is used to resolve such situations, with greater or lesser rules guidance depending on the rules set in use.

#1. Of course, the pattern behind the screen can be drawn out in front if players can receive all that information under the rules. This is well known. Players can attempt to take actions like movement, but they still require the referee to determine if such attempts are possible. That the player moves the piece is partly like players rolling the dice. But minis also enables players to more fine tune their description attempts for how they want to move.

You said the players cannot move the tokens, by the rules. Now you are saying they can, but the action might be interrupted by factors unknown to them. It seems like the rules are much less clear-cut than you initially asserted.

#2This is most blatantly obvious when we recognize the rest of the world understands game walkthroughs to beat computers games as cheating rather than attempting to play the game for one's self.

Gygax's introduction to the 1e DMG, if read literally, indicates that no one who DM's a game (and thus needs to read the DMG) may ever play in a game again, as he has seen the DMG. I believe Gary himself played in others' games, and that some of his players ran their own games. In any event, it was in response to my request you cite a rule requiring a screen, not a rule requiring the DM have knowledge the players lack (whether rules knowledge, a precept of that 1e intro that many gamers dispute, or campaign knowledge such as the location, strength and other details of adversaries).

I believe 2e finally included in the statblocks cultural behavior like alignment for reaction checks, ability scores, organization, % in lair, environment, morale, and loyalty adjustments. Monster Manual 1977 included all kinds of social organizational designs in the descriptions. Those are suggestions for a DM to use in their design. Many are very good.

The fact my hobgoblin scenario (and those raised earlier) cannot be easily resolved by that statblock seems to pretty clearly indicate that this is not the statblock you previously described, which would permit easy adjudication/mechanical resolution of any interaction with the creature described in that statblock, sticking entirely to the rules with no improvisation required of the DM.

Maybe you don't know about roleplaying in the 50s-70s after the war, but it wasn't about fictional personas. D&D is the iconic RPG as the term roleplaying was used in army wargame simulations. They taught soldiers their role. D&D is a game where players improve their ability to perform their role (class) by mastering the game system it refers to. They can prove this and increase needed class abilities to more easily overcome and accomplish higher level challenges and objectives by scoring points relating to their roleplaying.

Wikipedia said:
Role-playing refers to the changing of one's behaviour to assume a role, either unconsciously to fill a social role, or consciously to act out an adopted role. While the Oxford English Dictionary offers a definition of role-playing as "the changing of one's behaviour to fulfill a social role", in the field of psychology, the term is used more loosely in four senses:

To refer to the playing of roles generally such as in a theatre, or educational setting;

To refer to taking a role of an existing character or person and acting it out with a partner taking someone else's role, often involving different genres of practice;

To refer to a wide range of games including role-playing video game, play-by-mail games and more;

To refer specifically to role-playing games.

What you are describing strikes me as the first definition, which is role playing, but is not a game. D&D evolved from wargames (where players direct tactical units) to a game where the player controlled a single individual, which better fits the second definition of taking on the role of another person, in this case a fictional person created by the player. Such a fictional person, properly role played, will not be a pawn or playing piece, but will come to life through the role playing of the player. To me, at least, that is the "RP" in "RPG".

I can easily play Talisman, Dungeon or the D&D board games like Wrath of Ashardalon as a Game (no RP required or desired). At least to me, a true RPG goes beyond that "G" to add "RP". If we extract the "G", we remove the classical "game" element of rules as mechanics for adjudicating success and failure, and move to a pure collaborative theatre exercise (which can still be a "game" in many senses of the word), a very basic example being the "Bakery" game referred to some ways above.

Improvising a personality wasn't part of roleplaying in the RPG community until the 80s. Personality stuff was also fun to do, but like in any game it can interfere with a person trying to play a game.

I think the personality became a matter of greater focus as time wore on (let's remember that the first edition of D&D was published in 1974 and, if not the first RPG, is generally considered the first commercially available RPG. The first widely available edition was published in 1977, which was the first opportunity for the game to move outside the circle of wargamers. There is not a lot of pre-'80's RPG history to address, just its ancestors and historical roots in wargaming). The old Rogues Gallery book published some characters with CHARACTER. That was back in the Holmes Basic/1st print AD&D books, published in 1980 for AD&D. Perhaps the characters presented therein, with their somewhat limited personality sketches, may have lead to the gamers with whom you were familiar back in the '70s adopting personalities for their characters for the first time (speculation just because of your and the book's timing), but that in no way indicates that other groups did not play characters with CHARACTER in the '70s. It does indicate that the founders of the game were playing characters with personalities, as that is where these characters were drawn and adapted from.

Being one of those who bought The Rogues Gallery off the shelf back in 1980, I have my own history with the hobby to draw on. It bears noting, however, that I came to the hobby with no wargaming roots and preconceptions.

Why we need DMs to play D&D
"Although it has been possible for enthusiasts to play solo games of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS by means of 'Wilderness Adventures', there has been no uniform method of dungeon exploring, for the campaign referee has heretofor been required to design dungeon levels. Through the following series of tables (and considerable dice rolling) it is now possible [1] to adventure alone through endless series of dungeon mazes! After a time I am certain that there will be some sameness to this however, and for this reason a system of exchange of sealed envelopes for special rooms and tricks/traps is urged. [2] These envelopes can come from any other player and contain monsters and treasure, a whole complex of rooms (unfolded a bit at a time), ancient artifacts, and so forth. All the envelope should say is for what level the contents are for and for what location, i.e. a chamber, room, 20' wide corridor, etc. Now break out your copy of D&D [3], your dice, and plenty of graph paper and have fun!"
--The Strategic Review Vol. 1 No. 1

Emphasis and references added. I would note:

1. The reference to a large volume of dice rolling indicates this is a change from the manner in which a living DM would have generated a dungeon. This implies an expectation that DM's typically used their own improvisation and judgment in designing and stocking dungeons, even back in 1975 when this article would have been published. This is wholly inconsistent with your random table model - the tables here are clearly perceived as differing from the activity of a DM, even in the days of the game's infancy.

2. This "sealed envelope" mechanism reinforces the role of the DM in creating interesting and challenging encounters which simply cannot be simulated by any random roll mechanism. It also indicates that players were expected to possess the skills, and the rules knowledge, of a DM. It is players exchanging these sealed envelopes, but DMs creating their contents, so members of these various groups are acting as DM's for other groups while acting as players in their own groups. Of course, this was in 1975 - the DMG was not published until 1979, so the article writer could not incorporate Gary's intro.

3. This again suggests that the players have access to the full rules, including those relevant to the DM. Again, about four years before Gary's intro to the DMG saw print.

Overall, this also reinforces the need for a DM who does more than just roll dice and consult random tables, as even this simulation is expected to fail without adding the improvisation of a DM. That it is rarely if ever used (certainly from the late 1970's to now, in my experience) further demonstrates the failure of simple random tables to emulate a "true D&D experience". This is, as you say, why the game requires a DM, not just players.

howandwhy99 said:
Well that's a hell of a claim you couldn't possibly back up. How do you prove by reference every player playing in every D&D game ever? I mean, that is stuff even people do when playing videogames, primary stuff. Like recognizin the patterns in levels of Pac-Man or Tetris or BBEGs to beat them. But you just the need to make sweeping generalizations about the D&D population for 40 years? What's your purpose for starting this thread?

Pemerton's claim matches my experience as well. I invite anyone who has ever extrapolated the DM's monster placement and/or dungeon design random table from game play to post their contrary experience. @pemerton also acknowledges there may be some statistical error in his sample. If your model is widespread, it seems like examples of such extrapolations should be similarly widespread.

I tend to find this rather judgemental, especially from someone who has fairly recently posted criticism of someone else in this thread for "one true way-ism".

It does depend largely on definitions and every table will vary in its desired balance of "RP" to "G". However, in my view, there is a point where the RP faces into such obscurity that we have only "G", a mechanistic and tactical exercise. One example is the suggested use of random charts for every aspect of dungeon design. Another is where the characters are mere ciphers - pawns lacking personality - and not Characters. At the other end of the continuum, the "G" fades away and we move to live theater. One example of this is the DM who ignores any mechanics of social skills (limited in older editions to reaction rolls; 3e added skills like Diplomacy, Intimidate and Bluff) in favour of pure role playing of such interactions. That impacts only one element. A broader example would return us to the resolution mechanics of "let's pretend", where there are no dice, only player consensus as to the results of any given effort.

I prefer a game in which drawbacks for the character aren't drawbacks for the player but, rather, opportunities for the player.

If they are drawbacks for the player in the sense that they reduce the fun, I agree. However, often the fun is in playing the drawbacks of the character, not just the strengths. I enjoy playing my impatient and impulsive character because, while often less than tactically perfect, his impetuous tactics are fun. Ditto my berserker highlander who stares that Umber Hulk right in the eyes, and does not know the Monster Manual stats rhyme and verse, even if I myself am 100% conversant with the monster's stats. A steady stream of "I avert my eyes in the manner that provides the greatest save bonus with the least to hit penalties and pick the best tactic every time because I am a robot lacking any personality" is not nearly as memorable, and (perhaps because) it is not nearly as fun.

Roger Musson had begun to work out this approach in 1981, when he wrote "I believe that the restrictions on some character classes, though they might be viewed as disadvantages, are more the reverse. Restrictions make it easier to play "in character" by dictating necessary attitudes. A paladin should be noted by his largesse and flamboyant acts of charity; these make him more interesting than a stereotyped fighting man."

This is quite true. It requires the DM view those restrictions as challenges, not as impediments. If, instead, we present the Paladin with no-win situations (either he compromises his principals or he/the party dies; refusal to act dishonourably guarantees defeat; Paladin's Dilemma where every choice violates the code and causes a fall from grace) or just sweep his beliefs under the rug when they become inconvenient (routine "the Paladin leaves the room, whereupon we begin torturing the prisoner"; the Evil characters have lead shields so the Paladin never notices they are evil; "my code doesn't require me to do anything about my friends being completely dishonourable"), then there is no point playing such a character.

Superman doesn't kill. Instead, he finds alternatives to succeed without killing, even when they are difficult or inobvious. If we instead write Superman into a scenario where he either kills or loses ("well, since you refused to kill Lex Luthor, Earth is destroyed"), we violate the character. This is no different from designing a game world where the Paladin can never succeed. If you don't want LG characters, run a world where LG behaviour equals losing. If you want to encourage less bloodthirsty characters, they must achieve positive results from less bloodthirsty solutions (not "every prisoner we take betrays us; every enemy we spare comes back to attack us again; every helpless prisoner we rescue backstabs us"). I'm always amazed by GM's who will complain bitterly that their players don't follow genre tropes, when they ensure that every instance of such tropes results in adverse consequences (not only no benefits, but a penalty).

Flanking provides a bonus, so players try to flank. Using a weapon with which one is not proficient imposes a penalty, so players avoid using such weapons. If honourable behaviour provides bonuses, players will be inclined to play honourable characters. If honourable behaviour virtually always results in the character being taken advantage of, expect a lot more backstabbers and murderhobos in your PC group.

If you roleplaying really bumps into or cuts across your "roll playing" then, to me, that tends to suggest that your mechanics aren't really doing their job of facilitating the desired play.

I would say if role playing results in challenges (it doesn't have to result in bonuses), it makes the game more fun. That, in itself, is a reward - bonuses not required. But if it results in failure, plain and simple, then role playing will simply disappear. Like the dinosaurs, it simply could not survive in that environment.

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
First, the fact that you can play D&D without aiming at producing a story doesn't mean that before the 1990s no one played the game with the aim of producing a story. I know, myself, that when I was GMing Oriental Adventures in 1986 an important goal of play was creating a story (roughly along the lines of a B samurai movie). And clearly there were FRPGers much before then playing in the same way: Lewis Pulsipher talks a lot about different styles, including story-oriented styles, in articles written for White Dwarf in the late 70s/early 80s.

Somehow, with a very few exceptions, the narrative and story has always been the very top priority for my gaming groups - going all way way back to Chainmail, more than 30 years back. The world we are creating and the rich history and stories has been the main reason we keep playing. I am now on (argubaly) my third generation of players, of our 5 players (myself included), four are 20-26 years of age - with me the old fuddy duddy. And as luck would have it the group is gelling very well, as no one is really the min/max, uber build, rules lawyer type. The story we are building and the development of the characters, their wants needs, desires, personality and goals, that is our priority, not so much "Who can do the most possible damage". This is not to say my people aren't competative, they like to go first, they like to gain advantage, and they do utilize spells, skills, feats and abitlies to make their characters unqiue and powerful. It's just that this takes a backseat to the narrative, a narrative they help write.

N'raac

First Post
hmmm...shorter, but not a lot shorter...

A shrewd player will not risk losing to a coin flip if the game doesn't demand it. I play D&D as a game and the game is still viable as long as your character survives. Thus as a player, I have a stake in wanting my character to survive, so I will make decisions that make survival more likely whenever possible.

Remember, in an old school game, dying meant a re-roll at level one, effectively starting all over. I think you would find fewer avid old school game players willing to take that gamble than "real" role players in more modern games in which the loss of a character merely results in a replacement of equal standing.

Really? What motivated all those "roll randomly - many you get a huge powerup and maybe you get killed" magic items and artifacts, then? These are an artifact of the "if the character dies, I'll just roll up another one - my character LOVES Russian roulette" mentality.

I would say that your daughter is most certainly role playing in the purest sense but not really playing a game. Either activity can be done without the other. Games were played long before there were rpgs, and children have role-played since the dawn of time even without an actual game being played.

Much of the problem with this aspect of the thread is defining "game". She is certainly not engaged in a "game" with rules to adjudicate success and failure, a defined beginning and end, and set victory conditions. In that sense, I agree this is not a "game". In my particular view, she is at the "RP" extreme of the continuum and is engaged in improvisational theater - "RP" with no "G".

All it takes to be a game is to be an activity engaged in for diversion or amusement. That's a long standing definition of game.

With all respect, and full acknowledgement this is an accurate dictionary definition, I don't find it a helpful definition in the context of this discussion. In fairness, that is more likely because I (and, I think some others) are restricting the terms "Game" to "Game with mechanical rules" than because we are correctly using the more broad, and more technically correct, definition of a "game".

It goes directly to your point. And all the proof I need for mine. People cannot play D&D without a design to be deciphered in place prior to play.

To the extent this is true, it does not mean that there is nothing to the game other than a design to be deciphered which is in place prior to play, or even that this is a, much less THE, defining feature of an RPG.

Gary is saying this explicitly here for those who want to play it as a solo game. A solo "story game" could presumably have a "DM/Player" make everything up on blank paper. No game is required for such non-game practices. No code breaking is necessary for improv'ing. But game players cannot do this, so other people are called on to populate the random results tables so the solo gamer doesn't know the results beforehand according to the system Gary provides in newsletter insert.

Our extract from Strategic Review provides a perfect example of the random results tables being used by (and thus viewed and known by) the players to play the game without a DM. In fact, the failing called out in that article arises solely due to the absence of DM improvisation in the form of special rooms.

Maybe you never really thought about why there are so many random tables in D&D or never really knew. Maybe you never really played with hardcore wargame RPGers who understood why D&D was designed as it was for the first 25 years? I don't know. If you still don't believe or get it, See Dungeon! the boardgame for some of this D&D mechanic in action (and more).

I’ve played more than one iteration of Dungeon! It is not D&D, largely because it lacks both role playing (character personality, not tactical planning) and DM improvisation.

Well, you're wrong about everything above.

What you're expressing is a widespread falsehood. And what this thread is about proving the obvious invalidity of.

Umbran addresses this better than I will. I will simply say that I don’t find any of the above likely to persuade me to the superiority of your viewpoint.

Roleplaying was part of wargaming for decades, long before the hobby of wargaming learned about it and took the term up for D&D and its ilk. That's why the name of the hobby is roleplaying, not storytelling. Gary repeated such stuff his whole life.

Actually, the absence of a consistent definition of “roleplaying” is at least as big an impediment to this discussion as the lack of a consistent definition of “game”.

With respect, in my experience those who want a "pure game" experience like you describe simply slip on over into things that aren't called role-playing games - board games, wargames, and some computer games typically give them what they are looking for. All the tactical decision making, none of the mucking about with story.

EXAMPLE: Dungeon! Board game.

Somehow, with a very few exceptions, the narrative and story has always been the very top priority for my gaming groups - going all way way back to Chainmail, more than 30 years back. The world we are creating and the rich history and stories has been the main reason we keep playing. I am now on (argubaly) my third generation of players, of our 5 players (myself included), four are 20-26 years of age - with me the old fuddy duddy. And as luck would have it the group is gelling very well, as no one is really the min/max, uber build, rules lawyer type. The story we are building and the development of the characters, their wants needs, desires, personality and goals, that is our priority, not so much "Who can do the most possible damage". This is not to say my people aren't competative, they like to go first, they like to gain advantage, and they do utilize spells, skills, feats and abitlies to make their characters unqiue and powerful. It's just that this takes a backseat to the narrative, a narrative they help write.

Not to age you, but Chainmail is over 40 years now – Strategic Review turned 40 this year, and OD&D hit 40 last year. Makes me feel old, I’ll admit. But maybe that’s because I don’t want to admit (to myself) that I am getting old, if not there already. Sigh…

Anyway, emphasis added above. This matches my group, and I think it also indicates why a lot of gamers remain in the hobby when board games, card games, etc. come and go much more rapidly. It also emphasizes, however, that we have our preferences and others have different preferences.

I referred to role players and roll players a bit above. I prefer a certain balance between the two. Your group’s balance sounds like it matches my own, but that’s largely because:

(a) Both elements are there;
(b) My balance is perfect, so if you are having fun you must use the same balance

Now, item (b) is a pretty facetious way of simply stating that I project my preferences on you, possibly without even realizing it. Maybe your game is more focused on mechanical roll playing than mine, or maybe I would be a rules-lawyering min/maxer in your group because you are way more focused on the role play and story elements. I doubt we will ever know, because I suspect we will never game together.

But we all fall at various places on the continuum between “Role Play/character personality/story” and “Game/mechanics/tactics/rules mastery”. At some point on the continuum (different for each of us, to some extent), we move so far towards the one that the other just isn’t there any more and we are playing a pure “Game” (Dungeon!) or just “Role Playing” (bakery; improve theater).

To me, the evolution of Wargame to Role Playing Game was a shift along that continuum moving out of pure “Game” to embrace “Role Playing” to some extent. I do not believe for a minute that the early Gygax or Arneson tables lacked “story” and “personality”. There was little, or nothing, magical about those early rules sets. It was the addition of role playing, in my opinion, that differentiated that infant D&D from its wargaming ancestors, and allowed it to survive, and flourish, over the last 40+ years.

All true.

For present purposes, what I want to point out is that extrapolating from causal logic is not "code-breaking" in any meaningful sense of that term. It is just reasoning - what I have called reasoning about the fiction as if it were real.

Agreed. That was me extending a minor olive branch for the sake of trying to expedite some form of communication here. The barrier is already steep enough as is.

But in truth, the starting point of all of this is the mental gymnastics required to go from (the obviously accurate) "reasoning" to full-blown cryptanalysis, so its probably not even healthy for clarity to allow for that. But if you're going to jump down the rabbit hole, you have to start somewhere. Where that common ground (no matter how shaky) might be, I wouldn't even venture a guess.

The idea that this can take place without the GM having to engage in improvisation is completely implausible.

I would go with "preposterous", but if you want to throttle it back to "implausible", then be my guest :p

Preposterous is the idea that you can remove GMing cognitive biases with content generation tables that are absolutely EMBEDDED with bias (from choice of which stock tables to use or if homebrew generation then decisions on frequency and type) and with resolution mechanics with swathes of procedures (some mentioned upthread by you and others) that are either incoherent with respect to each other or are outright missing, therefore REQUIRING GM INTERVENTION (the kind of which loads play down with the GM's cognitive biases) so the game might move forward at all.

Every single game with a human referee involved (even with the most clean and minimalist procedures possible) will introduce some measure of cognitive bias, therefore reducing the signal to noise ratio away from pure signal. You can guarantee a proportionate increase in noise the less clean, the less minimalist the ruleset/procedures of play are and the more involved the human referee must be.

I give you...the freaking National Football League pre Roger Goodell and post Roger Goodell (and the reason why fans are losing their minds left and right and why "Deflategate" became a thing at all).

howandwhy99

Adventurer
SNIP
The DM is much more a game participant (albeit one with a very different role) than the classic referee or umpire.
Obviously you're wrong. But naysaying isn't helping anyone here. I agree with everything prior to this, but not this. I'm guessing you knew that before you posted. I know I can get off track too, but let's both try and stick close to relevant points. I have to say, this long post is too long to bother with, if you end up responding to every fruitless detail.

Interestingly from the terminology perspective, Kreogsspiel began as "Instructions for the Representation of Tactical Maneuvers under the Guise of a Wargame". IOW, it was viewed as the façade of a game, but not actually a game, by its own designers. You posit that the manner in which many play D&D makes it "no longer a game". I wonder when we pass the marker by which the creator of Kreogsspiel would perceive it being transformed into a game.
when we remove the improv during a game. So the pattern of the field of play and rules can be deciphered through play.

Reading this history, it seems like the move to "Free" Kriegsspiel is extremely similar to the evolution of the classic wargame into D&D and other role playing games. It is interesting that you classify this evolution as moving away from "a game", especially as I suspect the original Kriegsspiel designer would likely have perceived "Free" Kriegsspiel as more of a game than his own model. It being 64 years later, his views cannot actually be known, of course.
You just said in the previous quote, "IOW, it was viewed as the façade of a game, but not actually a game, by its own designers."

First, one criticism of the experience model in early versions of D&D was that the gaining of "points" (xp) often failed to correspond to successes of the characters. For example, if their goal was to protect the local village from the depredations of nearby monster tribes, they were rewarded for killing and looting the monsters. But they could also earn both xp and gold for killing the villagers and looting their village. They would not, however, be rewarded as well for driving off the monsters, and not at all for negotiating a peace treaty between the village and the monsters which could allow both to become far more prosperous.
I'm skipping this. I've dealt with it in other threads as have others. But I agree in principle the XP rewards need to better reflect roleplaying the selected class.

Where are these defined "endgame conditions"?
We've both been in D&D for some time I take it. I'm not hunting down quotes about how losing your character, retiring it, or reaching highest (name) level means a player has finished the game and needs to roll up a new one to start playing again.

Finally, from the player's perspective "dead character" and "retired character" have pretty similar outcomes - the player creates and brings in a new character. We certainly don't tally up victory points and declare a player "the winner" at the end of the typical campaign, even when it has "an end" rather than just dying out.
But victory points are there. XP score. Since it's a cooperative game no one's declared "the winner".

So your interpretation, then, is that this group continued for months despite the fact no one was having any fun. That seems highly unlikely to me. I would also note that the detractors of each and every edition of D&D typically point to some element which they refer to as "broken". Presumably, then, the game you are playing is just as objectively "broken"* as the game played by those in the anecdote.
I don't see how discussing this gets us anywhere. I *guess* they'd rather play a game that wasn't broken. you said the system was incomplete. That they still wanted to play possibly speaks to all sorts of stuff. Desperation? The quality of the partial design remaining?

* Which is to say, not at all. That people are still playing and enjoying it means, at least to me, that it cannot objectively be "broken".
And yet the game system is incomplete. Maybe you mean "unfun"?

To the reality, you have claimed the DM must adjudicate solely from the rules. The examples I provided can all be easily envisioned as arising in a game, and have no defined rules for adjudication in D&D, although greater structure has evolved over time. The jump to social skills in 3e is, IMO, the clearest example of a jump in evolution, but still leaves considerable judgment required by the DM. The only game I can think of where there is a rule given for dealing with matters which are not covered by the rules is Toon, which quite simply states there are two possibilities - a thing will happen, or it will not, so flip a coin. Every other game instructs the GM to exercise best judgment in assigning probabilities to results and adjudicating the outcome.
So Toon is a game that covers every player attempt and the others are broken. Go figure.

My hobgoblin example provided the state of the game board, saw the players take what I think most of us would consider a reasonable, permissible action and asked how you would apply the rules to set the die roll required and the possible outcomes. No such rules exist. GM improvisation is used to resolve such situations, with greater or lesser rules guidance depending on the rules set in use.
As I said before, the books are suggestions, not an all encompassing design. There are multiple suggestions covering the same areas even. And of course the obligatory - DMs are never allowed to improvise in D&D.

You said the players cannot move the tokens, by the rules. Now you are saying they can, but the action might be interrupted by factors unknown to them. It seems like the rules are much less clear-cut than you initially asserted.
Maybe you didn't understand. I said they could not move the tokens on the gameboard behind the screen. Do you think players can do the same in mastermind? If players can receive the info from part of the design, the ref might draw it out. Moving tokens is not them telling a story, but making attempts the referee can clarify as the players demonstrate. Read what I wrote again. You're making me repeat myself and this is all too much naysaying and repetition for me to want to continue.

Gygax's introduction to the 1e DMG, if read literally, indicates that no one who DM's a game (and thus needs to read the DMG) may ever play in a game again, as he has seen the DMG. I believe Gary himself played in others' games, and that some of his players ran their own games. In any event, it was in response to my request you cite a rule requiring a screen, not a rule requiring the DM have knowledge the players lack (whether rules knowledge, a precept of that 1e intro that many gamers dispute, or campaign knowledge such as the location, strength and other details of adversaries).
Your first sentence is actually true. But, unlike his further assertions, a DM should use different codes for different campaigns to change it up.

I take it you didn't miss all the DM screens published for every version of D&D? Do you not know why they were there? Like why all the modules had maps for tracking locations? Is any of the mere existence of this stuff proof for you?

The fact my hobgoblin scenario (and those raised earlier) cannot be easily resolved by that statblock seems to pretty clearly indicate that this is not the statblock you previously described, which would permit easy adjudication/mechanical resolution of any interaction with the creature described in that statblock, sticking entirely to the rules with no improvisation required of the DM.
Of course, I'm not going to reveal my hard worked for code online, so every potential player can see it. That I use many rules from the suggestions in the books isn't wrong, but Gary left a lot up to individual DMs.

What you are describing strikes me as the first definition, which is role playing, but is not a game. D&D evolved from wargames (where players direct tactical units) to a game where the player controlled a single individual, which better fits the second definition of taking on the role of another person, in this case a fictional person created by the player. Such a fictional person, properly role played, will not be a pawn or playing piece, but will come to life through the role playing of the player. To me, at least, that is the "RP" in "RPG".
This isn't actual history. Roleplaying is learning a social role as done in the army for decades before D&D. That many of those guys were also in the hobby wargaming community and likely offered is where the name came from. A person doesn't need to protray someone else when performing a social role, so that's why the different term exists at all. Meaning it is seperate from acting. The RP element in RPGS like D&D is scoring points in your role.

I think the personality became a matter of greater focus as time wore on (let's remember that the first edition of D&D was published in 1974 and, if not the first RPG, is generally considered the first commercially available RPG.
D&D is the first RPG. By my understanding Kriegspiel was a wargame.

1. The reference to a large volume of dice rolling indicates this is a change from the manner in which a living DM would have generated a dungeon. This implies an expectation that DM's typically used their own improvisation and judgment in designing and stocking dungeons, even back in 1975 when this article would have been published. This is wholly inconsistent with your random table model - the tables here are clearly perceived as differing from the activity of a DM, even in the days of the game's infancy.
You're ignoring all the dozens and dozens of tables for the DM to roll on in D&D? I prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what a DM is for and you choose to forget the DM does have to roll all that stuff up?

2. This "sealed envelope" mechanism reinforces the role of the DM in creating interesting and challenging encounters which simply cannot be simulated by any random roll mechanism. It also indicates that players were expected to possess the skills, and the rules knowledge, of a DM. It is players exchanging these sealed envelopes, but DMs creating their contents, so members of these various groups are acting as DM's for other groups while acting as players in their own groups. Of course, this was in 1975 - the DMG was not published until 1979, so the article writer could not incorporate Gary's intro.

3. This again suggests that the players have access to the full rules, including those relevant to the DM. Again, about four years before Gary's intro to the DMG saw print.
One player can stop playing in another person's game of Mastermind and run another game for someone else. Other people can send you a code, sealed, to play a game of D&D, but there's no referee to run it, so the player rolls him or her self.

And Gary used hidden information, maybe even a screen before D&D was even published. That I'm not bothering to find some absolute statement of its need in the the OD&D stuff, so much of it published piecemeal, is me not caring enough to prove this well known fact 40 years later.
Overall, this also reinforces the need for a DM who does more than just roll dice and consult random tables, as even this simulation is expected to fail without adding the improvisation of a DM. That it is rarely if ever used (certainly from the late 1970's to now, in my experience) further demonstrates the failure of simple random tables to emulate a "true D&D experience". This is, as you say, why the game requires a DM, not just players.
And of course I said no such thing. A DM is referee, not an improvisor.

Aenghus

Explorer
A shrewd player will not risk losing to a coin flip if the game doesn't demand it. I play D&D as a game and the game is still viable as long as your character survives. Thus as a player, I have a stake in wanting my character to survive, so I will make decisions that make survival more likely whenever possible.

Remember, in an old school game, dying meant a re-roll at level one, effectively starting all over. I think you would find fewer avid old school game players willing to take that gamble than "real" role players in more modern games in which the loss of a character merely results in a replacement of equal standing.

On the other hand, old school dungeons often had a lot of death traps, cursed magic items and the occasional overpowered monster if you explored it and just being in the dungeon risked death by wandering monster even if you stayed at the entrance. There was risk all around, often arbitrary risk with no foreshadowing or way of figuring out the right answer beforehand.

The extreme reactions to all this risk were either becoming massively risk adverse and minimizing the number of decisions or die rolls that could result in PC death, at the cost of constant paranoia and exhaustive standard operating procedures, and missing out on lots of content that the players labelled "too dangerous to explore", or embracing the madness and pressing every button, taking every risk. Barring fudging, the latter style resulted in a lot of dead PCs and the occasional massive jackpot when win or die gambles paid off big. As usual, I suspect most players occupied the middle ground between these two extremes.

The thing is, some players just aren't invested in their PC surviving, they can always introduce a new PC, they want something else, for instance, poking the gameworld and seeing what happens, the bigger a reaction the better. Not every player sees character level as a game score.

Myself, I'm highly risk adverse, value PC survival, and I hated old school dungeons as it was impossible to avoid many risks, and DMs often didn't understand players who tried to avoid some of the risks.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You know the Forge was a community attempting to rewrite not just RPGs but all game culture in a closed community not allowing dissent, right?

You know that it is literally impossible to rewrite an open culture in a *closed* subset community, right? Within a closed group, you can at best rewrite the culture of the closed group. This is obvious in how the Forge *utterly failed* to rewrite all game culture. The world today plods along rather like it did before the Forge, just with a few extra game designs out there.

And, as already noted, I don't see how your current approach is really any different than theirs. You don't seem to allow any room for dissent either. Your writing is very, "my way is the only Truth," much like Edwards was before he realized his own model was not his favorite any more, which kind of put the lie to how his theory was The One.

Thank you for the reminder. Yes, the world has changed, but history has not.

With respect, you are not the accepted arbiter of history. Many people have pointed out how your view of history is inaccurate. Moreover, you have failed to establish that, even if your history was accurate, that this history forms the definitions we need to use forevermore. It is just as (and likely more) reasonable to say that in the early history of RPGs, the authors actually knew very little about the subject, as it was new, and we would be best served to apply the greater understanding time has granted us to inform our designs and play going forward.

But I'm not using it against anyone here or groups here, but towards people who are actually engaged in such a duplicitous act.

This is a largely anonymous community - how do you know you're not referring to someone here?

Let us be very clear on this - calling people liars is generally a Bad Move. You don't seem to allow for the difference between "being duplicitous" and "being wrong" or the even less problematic, "have a different opinion/preference in a space with no objective fact". You speak as if anyone who disagrees with you actually knows you are correct, and is lying - you need to do a lot of work to establish that guilt before throwing around such accusations.

Celebrim

Legend
howandwhy99 has left me no evidence based approach to proving points, since he's elsewhere asserted that neither Gygax, nor the specifics of the Blackmoor and Greyhawk, nor the rules of the game can be appealed to to prove that D&D is not what he says it is. Since none of those things define D&D in his mind, there isn't any evidence based approach that can conflict with his internal definition. Thus, when he says that it's obviously wrong that a DM is any more than a referee and doesn't participate in the game, I can't appeal to quoting the 1e DMG, since apparently that rules he appeals to so often as the source of the pattern are obviously wrong as well. Nor can I appeal to a scholarly work like Peterson's 'Playing at the World' (on my bookshelf at home) which is based off the notes of the Blackmoor and Greyhawk campaigns.

But consider the usual circumstance the DM may find himself in.

In one room, there is a band of kobolds. Operating very much like a board game, limited to propositions only available to a player in Nethack and with no concern for fictional position but heavy concern for tactical positioning, the party enters into the room, conducts a tactical fight with the kobolds in full accordance with the rules and finishes the kobolds off quickly with a horn of blasting. All of this is the sort of game H&W claims is 'real D&D' and requires no improvisation. Well and good, but...

This later circumstance being very noisy, the DM examines the game board to see whether it has any side effects. He notes that a mere 150' away down a corridor is a black dragon and by die roll it is sleeping. He now wonders whether the horn of blasting might have wakened the dragon. Further, he wonders what upon waking the dragon will do. Will it hide and seek to ambush whatever has disturbed it? Will it cast its darkness spell to cover its lair. Will it cautiously and stealthily investigate the source of the noise? Will it bellow its anger in a trumpet blast and lash its tail with such fury that causes the very walls to shake? Upon engaging the PC's, will it rush forward to bite and claw, or will it hold back and apply its breath weapon? Will it instead cast sleep to try to disrupt the party?

What mechanical pattern exists to answer these questions regarding the dragon's behavior? Is the DM now even playing D&D to wonder whether the dragon is now awake? Since the DM has not anticipated a loud noise nearby and not written the percentage chance a horn of blasting has to wake a dragon at 50 paces, does he cease to play D&D if the dragon wakes? And if the dragon wakes, does he cease to play D&D if he decides to cast a spell, use melee attacks, cast a breath weapon, or try to bully the PC's into relinquishing their treasure?

In other words, is it only D&D if the DM is omnipotent and omniscient, as this is the only circumstances where D&D could be played and meet H&Y's definition. While it's perfectly valid to imagine the DM having full understanding of a game board as limited as Mastermind - how much is there to it - it's ludicrous to imagine any DM being in full possession of D&D's game board at all times, or to imagine that DM's simply crank the handle of a game engine the way a piece of software does, or that any DM in the entire history of the game has every truly done so.

The game cannot remotely be played without improvisation. For all his ranting, no attempt to show such a comprehensive game engine external to a DM ever existed has been made. One thing is clear, the 1977 rules set didn't contain such an engine. H&W has us believe that the real D&D is obviously one that exists only in his head. How exactly this situation came about, I'm not sure, but I'm willing to guess that it came about through improvisation. I'm willing to bet that H&W began play of D&D sometime between 1975 and 1980, or else was accepted into a table that began in that period and had its roots in war gaming - and that this table had no direct connection to the Wisconsin group. This is roughly the time my cousin began play in central Arkansas, having met an old school punch card computer programmer who had ran into the game some years before while in college. At the time, the rules of D&D were very incomplete, were badly written, badly organized, sometimes contradictory, contained numerous errors, and cross referenced other TSR rule sets that were hard to come by. If you wanted to play at all during this period, you had to improvise heavily to create a functioning set of house rules based on what you assumed that the designers were doing when playing. Remember, how you prepare to play and how you think about playing an RPG is more important than the rules. Apparently at H&W's table, the improvised version of D&D was one of many early forks off D&D that moved the game in a somewhat odd direction (Peterson records several contemporary and predecessors to D&D that were occurring at wargaming conventions, most of which do not in fact meet H&W's definition of game as some had no rules engine at all beyond referee improvisation). In this version of D&D the DM's purpose was merely mechanical. A limited number of game pieces were defined, and they had no fictional positioning as we'd understand the term. The boards of this game were pregenerated and prepopulated, and the game was played as purely an open ended tactical wargame with apparently even less meta-story than Nethack. While the PC's could propose anything they wanted, it was the DM's job to continue to refine the player proposition down until it was a simple defineable tactical move - "go 3" closer to the orc and attack". Any interaction with the setting was meaningless unless predefined, and players acting under these constraints soon adopted very straight forward propositions.

And while I'd argue that even under those constraints, there is a significant amount of improvisation going on and nothing much like "code breaking" (which I agree with pemerton is a term that apparently only means decision making), the goal of this play was clearly to reduce the DM's role as much as possible to neutral arbiter of a wargaming scenario.

Despite the illusionism of pretending that the DM wasn't making arbitrary choices and therefore couldn't possibly be an unbiased rules engine, H&W's group was happy with this and enjoyed it. So you can imagine his dismay no doubt when TSR steadily produced materials that didn't conform to his groups definition of D&D. You can also see why H&W repeatedly refers to the need to convert the official published materials of D&D in order to first play the game. Because the official published materials don't limit themselves to this neat tightly confined little world, and have to first be converted into something more resembling Nethack before they can be played. The 'real D&D' - by which he means merely what he was used to at the time - was being killed by... real D&D.

UPDATE: After closely reading the thread, I realize I've erred in giving H&W too much benefit of the doubt. He now claims that he was introduced to D&D post 1985. By this point, TSR has published works like 'Dragonlance', and had gone as far as producing chapters of novels based on the text of adventure modules. The idea that story isn't part of an RPG, to the extent it ever existed anyway since it's easy to prove that Blackmoor started with story first and added rules later, is well and dead.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
howandwhy99 has left me no evidence based approach to proving points

Much like Edwards in this as well, hey what? It can be (and has been) argued that Edwards' reliance on his theoretical structure, without grounding in empirical evidence, was the source of many of the flaws in his work.

Back in 1999, WotC did market research, and it did reveal some segmentation of players, but it wasn't quite on the G/N/S axes. I'd much rather see a form based on that empirical discovery than one worked out in theory, trying to wedge real-world play activity into it after the fact.

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
Not to age you, but Chainmail is over 40 years now – Strategic Review turned 40 this year, and OD&D hit 40 last year. Makes me feel old, I’ll admit. But maybe that’s because I don’t want to admit (to myself) that I am getting old, if not there already. Sigh…

God Blessit - no one is supposed to run those figures in their head. I am old... I feel thin, stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases