REGINA CAYLI - First Edition Play Example

Water Bob

Adventurer
"Looks like the hyperdrive is okay." I hear Hawk delcare over the intercom.

"Great." Captain Garnet replies. "I'll start calculating the hyperspace coordinates."

As she sits in the turret, she gets another Perception roll. She's scanning for asteroids. To spot anything, it's a Easy task, which is 10+. Selnia's Perception is 3D+1.

I roll and get a total of 13.

I startle when I see two small flashes out in space. Starring in that direction, I soon see two figures become visible. It's two men in black space suits, maneuvering with jet packs. They're heading straight for the Dorian Discus.

The guns are still hot. I lock the targeting computer. Then I fire.

Now that the targets aren't on the hull, the shot is easier. The weapons were designed for this type of thing. Each target is small, but they are close together. The targeting computer thinks that they are one target. Difficulty is Easy. 10+ needed. Selnia has Starship Gunnery 3D+2.

I roll and get a total of 8. I miss!

As the blaster cannon bolts fly past the targets, the two men reach the hull. They are moving to the aft airlock!

Water Bob

Adventurer
"We've got company!" I say over the com.

"Two men in black space suits. They're at the aft airlock."

There's a moment's pause. I know Garnet is thinking, "What the hell?" But, he doesn't take long. He's been around long enough to act first and worry about looking foolish later.

"Let's see what happens," the Captain says, "when I kick on the ion drives."

I feel the ship lurch as momentum battles the inertial dampeners. Outside the viewport, I can see that we are moving at great speed away from the asteroid field.

I also see the two men go bumping down the hull and spinning out into space.

Then, I see a large bulk freighter--it looks like it's got extra guns--pull from behind one of the larger asteroids on a vector towards the Discus.

"Um, Captain," I say, over the com, "how long to jump?"

Garnet already knew what I was talking about. "I see her," he says. "Say goodbye."

"Goodbye," I reply.

And the Dorian Discus jumps into hyperspace.

x x x​

The Dorian Discus arrives safely on Calus, and I deliver the medical supplies to my contact in the Rebel Alliance.

And, I am able to update Alliance records about the Void. It's an ambush point for pirates. It turns out the asteroids have been artificially trucked there from the neighboring and uninhabited Udine system. The asteroids--the big ones, at least--have enough mass to pop ships out of hyperspace. When that happens, the pirates move in and take their prey. It's a real hazard for any ship captain taking the short cut through the Void.

I'll make sure the word spreads so that the pirates will have a lot less fish to fry going forward.

THE END​

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases