Pathfinder 1E Beguiler?

GreenFiend

First Post
One of my players directed me to this with an interest in playing it. It looks really official, but I have no idea what book it comes from. Heck I don't even think the beguiler was covered under OGL so could Paizo even make a beguiler? Does anybody know anything about this?

GreenFiend

First Post
In case anybody runs across this thread, I managed to find the source through google. It's a homebrew conversion, but the discussion here seems to be favorable in terms of its balance. I'm going to let my player run it provisionally.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I run across some pdf with the official paizo format (yellow pages and stffs), but that is totally homebrew. The first image is WotC's property.
Didn't check the text, but tell us if it is a fun class to play.

was

Adventurer
Without going and digging out my 3.5 books, the one that you received appears to be home-brewed. Using the one listed in http://dndtools.pw/classes/beguiler/ as a comparison, it has also increased in power. BAB has been increased, along with Reflex saves. Some powers are gained sooner, others ones have been added. At first glance, it does appear to be a bit front-loaded, gaining a ton of powers at first and second level.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
As someone pointed out in a podcast review recently, the Occult Adventures' Mesmerist class is sort of Paizo's take on the beguiler. It is balanced, has a lot of similar themes to thw Beguiler, though is not a straight conversion. It wouldn't hurt to get the player's take on it in addition to the third party home brew option.

GreenFiend

First Post
Didn't check the text, but tell us if it is a fun class to play.

So as of last night we've had four sessions with the beguiler in play and I've come back to check in with my experiences. So far my player is having a lot of fun with it, the flavor included in the conversion is fantastic and made it super easy for him to organically formulate his idea of the character. Power-wise it's definitely not as powerful as his previous character (a crowd control wizard), and as DM it's easy enough to keep him reined in because he's not very well set up to deal with undead/constructs/any kind of mind-affecting immune creature. Overall this has been a very enjoyable experience.

As someone pointed out in a podcast review recently, the Occult Adventures' Mesmerist class is sort of Paizo's take on the beguiler. It is balanced, has a lot of similar themes to thw Beguiler, though is not a straight conversion. It wouldn't hurt to get the player's take on it in addition to the third party home brew option.

My player and I discussed the mesmerist, but we both agreed that it doesn't make a particularly good stand in for the beguiler. It does very good at the magic side of the beguiler, but doesn't offer much to cover the beguiler's roguish half. I might actually end up taking a crack at this beguiler myself when my time behind the DM screen is over for this round.

GreenFiend

First Post
Back again with another update. We've had two more months of games and I've been absolutely blown away by this conversion. The quality of the writing is definitely on par with the best 3PPs out there, we haven't yet had an issue where the player and I had a difference of opinions as to how an ability should be adjudicated/ruled. The party's up around level 15 right now and the power level of this class seems just right: it doesn't make anybody in the party obsolete the way a wizard might at this level, each party member still has things they're good at and things they're bad at, the beguiler is no exception. Anybody DM considering whether or not to allow this conversion shouldn't hesitate for a second, the other option is your player rolling up an illusion/enchantment wizard/sorcerer which will be able to do pretty much everything this beguiler does and more.

My turn behind the DM screen should be coming to an end in the next month or so and after seeing how much fun my player is having with the conversion I am 100% set that I will be making my next character a beguiler.

GreenFiend

First Post
Hey guys,
I figured another update was in order, this time from the player's side of the DM screen. So I've been playing my beguiler for about four and a half months now and I can definitely say that this actually does class outdo the wizard in one particular way: fun. I have never had this much fun with a caster class. The fact that a lot of the abilities of the class pull you into melee range means you have to be more dynamic. No more just flying out of range of everybody raining magic down on everybody, you're there in the thick of it. I picked the baleful shadow order so during combat I'm jumping around the battlefield through the shadow plane to stab or blast unsuspecting opponents. As I said from the DM's position, I don't really outdo anybody in the party at their jobs, but I am having an absolute ball with the beguiler. I recently noticed that the author also has some golarion themed options for the beguiler too, so I might jump at one of those if this character dies.

Long story short: I think I just found my new favorite pathfinder class.

Remove ads