Ether Golem

Gish Makai

First Post
Ok...here's my first golem. It's a defensive golem used by wizards and the like to fortify their strongholds.

Ether Golem
Large Construct

HD: 16d10 (88 hp)
Initiative: -1 (-1 Dex)
Speed: 20 ft. (can’t run)
AC: 28 (-1 Size, -1 Dex, +20 Natural Armor)
Attacks: 2 Slams +21 (melee)
Damage: Slams 2d6+10 and slow
Face/Reach: 5 ft x 5 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks: Slow, Breath Weapon, Leak
Special Qualities: Construct, Damage Reduction 15/+2, Magic Immunity, Death Throes
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 9, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1

Climate/Terrain: Any Land
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
CR: 13
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral (Always)
Advancement Range: 17-32 HD (Large), 33-48 HD (Huge)

Ether golems are constructs made from thin metals pieced together to create a shell of a form. It stands 9 feet tall and weighs in at 4,000 lbs.

The golem cannot speak or make any vocal noise, nor does it have a distiguishable odor. It moves with a steady gait at the speed of a normal human. Each step causes the ground to tremble unless made of stone.

COMBAT
Ether golems are mighty combatants. They strike with deadly accuracy and incredible force. Their bodies are thin metal and can be brittle.

Slow (Ex): A hit by a ether golems fist acts as a slow spell upon the recipient. The Will save DC is 18.

Breath Weapon (Su): The breath weapon of the ether golem is a cloud of gas. This clous extends outwards up to 30 feet in front of the golem. This gas acts as the sleep spell except that there are no HD restrictions. Will save (DC 18) negates the effect. The golem uses this attack on the first or second round of combat. The gas is created by an alchemist which is included in the cost of the construction.

Leak (Ex): If the golem is struck by metal weapons, there is a 75% chance that the golem's metallic hide will crack and leak the gas from within. This affects the surrounding 10 feet of the golem.

Death Throes (Ex): When killed, an ether golem ignites a spark from within its body to ignite the encased gas. It explodes in a blinding flash of light that deals 40 points of damage to everything within 100 feet (Reflex save DC 20).

Magic Immunity (Ex): Golems completely resist most magic and supernatural effects.

Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.

CONSTRUCTION

An ether golem’s body is sculpted from 4,000 pounds of metal.

The golem costs 80,000 gp to create, which includes 1,000 gp for the body. Assembling the body requires a successful Craft (armorsmithing or weaponsmithing) check (DC 20).

The creator must be 16th level and able to cast arcane spells. Completing the ritual drains 1,600 XP from the creator and requires slow, geas/quest, limited wish, and polymorph any object.

Last edited:

Devon

First Post
I like it, Gish. It's very creative. I'm somewhat concerned that it is very heavy, yet made of thin metal and thus very brittle, but it seems to have been an aesthetic choice.

Death Throes (Ex): When killed, an ether golem ignites a spark from within its body to ignite the encased gas. It explodes in a blinding flash of light that deals 40 points of damage to everything within 100 feet (Reflex save DC 20).

I would suggest that this damage be converted to dice... perhaps 1d6 per hit die.

Also (unless I've lost track of how to do saving throws), I would set the DCs for its various spell-like abilities at 18 (10 + half hit dice + no ability modifier). I could be off-base, though, if anyone else wants to check me on this.

- Devon

Gish Makai

First Post
Devon said:
I like it, Gish. It's very creative. I'm somewhat concerned that it is very heavy, yet made of thin metal and thus very brittle, but it seems to have been an aesthetic choice.

I would suggest that this damage be converted to dice... perhaps 1d6 per hit die.

Also (unless I've lost track of how to do saving throws), I would set the DCs for its various spell-like abilities at 18 (10 + half hit dice + no ability modifier). I could be off-base, though, if anyone else wants to check me on this.

- Devon

The saves you were right on...my calc error.

As for the damage...a straight forward damage is better than dice IMO. I took the damage base from a Balor which does a set damage. I like that better.

Heavy yes because 9 feet of nothing but metal is heavy. I made it lighter than the iron golem for this reason. It can be lighter for any DM to use.

Last edited:

Devon

First Post
As for the damage...a straight forward damage is better than dice IMO. I took the damage base from a Balor which does a set damage. I like that better.

Well, if it's laid out like that in the MM, then that makes it precedent. I will concede.

Heavy yes because 9 feet of nothing but metal is heavy.

True enough. I was just detecting a disparity in the various sensory descriptions.

Aside from my moments of speaking 'ex gluteo', glad to help.

- Devon

Gish Makai

First Post
Devon said:

True enough. I was just detecting a disparity in the various sensory descriptions.

Aside from my moments of speaking 'ex gluteo', glad to help.

- Devon
I appreciate the feedback. Wait until you see the one I post later today (after I have had some sleep.)

New twist on the golem.

Krishnath

First Post
Nice golem! working on one myself (Ruby Dragon Golem, no it's neither a gem dragon, nor a gemstone golem, it's not even made from ruby.)

Boz: You've been watching way to much Beavis and Butthead...

Gish Makai

First Post
Krishnath said:
Nice golem!
Coming from you Krishnath...I take that as a compliment. Glad to see someone likes my work. The next golem is coming tomorrow most likely. Perhaps later tonight if I feel up to it.

Remove ads