Is'Merith - Campaign Thread

Alejandro, shopping done, sees Isaac sat with his bottle and sits next to him.

He joins him in a whisky and fishes out the cigar he purloined from Kyle.

"Yours if you want it. I understand Halflings enjoy a good smoke."

He places it on the table next to Isaac.

"A welcome gift. It seems that you are the warrior amongst us. It seems like a good idea to keep you happy."

He takes a long slug of his drink and orders some olives. He chats away to Isaac, who is taciturn in response. Eventually a small grey mouse jumps on the table and thus Archibald is introduced to his new companion.

[sblock=Archibald]Alejandro will get what intel his mouse can give him later, back in his bunk[/sblock]

By the time the others join them, Alejandro has managed to crack a smile from the Halfling by having Archibald perform his party trick, "bench-pressing" a cocktail stick with an olive on each end.

Apart from that, he keeps the conversation safe. What the food's like at the Guild, that kind of thing, and talking mostly about himself. He keeps the details vague and errs on the side of bumbling comedy rather than self-aggrandisement. He does fill him in on how he met Shen and Daederai and the role his morning star played in the FAS agent's future family planning, though.

By the time the others enter he has already decided to nickname Daederai "Dead-Eye" for his work with the would-be robbers earlier in the day. He himself is constantly pained to be called "Al", even by his mouse. It is Gnomish custom to use a diminutive from the middle of the name, and his parents called him "Han" (his father, Sergio, was "Erjy" and his mother Mariana, "Ri") - but as he has never seen another gnome in Is'Merith, he supposes people can't be blamed for not knowing this.

He is careful not to drink too much, in case he gets too caught up in remembering his family. Drinking often brings these thoughts to the surface and with them his anger. It's caused a few problems in the past. The gnomes - or at least his parents - had a saying: if you let a sadness sit on your lap, you'll always sit and stroke it even while you walk. He gets the feeling Isaac has a sadness on his lap, but decides not to ask. He knows how it can be.

And so he adds an extra olive to each end of the barbell and gets Archibald* to try for a PB.

*were the mouse a gnome, Alejandro would call him "Chib" but mice are mice and so "Archie" has stuck.

Trogdor1992

First Post
"Thank you for the cigar, I do enjoy myself a good smoke, and I am happy to be getting back to work. More work means more money and everyone could use a bit of that." Isaac pours a second glass of whiskey and offers it to the gnome. "For you. Have a drink with me."

Sezarious

Explorer
After Alejandro and Isaac's first drink, the others, Shen, Daedarai and Mina Finally arrive. Daedarai, holding with him a scroll containing a seemingly ordinary grocery list. The list also contained a series of numbers detailing weights of various foodstuffs as well as an approximate budget next to each food item. The shopping list was in fact a copy of the information from the Senior's job-board. He'd recorded the information himself in the cant.

[sblock=Jobs]
Three out of seven of the jobs could be potentially completed in his spare time with the party at night, still giving him time to work on the forgeries during the day.

One seemed relatively simple, involving stomping on the operation of an unofficial lot of thieves who had refused to join the guild. Their whereabouts are detailed as a small warehouse building on the eastern side of the city, but discretion would be required. They are not to be killed, rather knocked out and dumped close to the town guard to be arrested. They are currently wanted. The only tricky thing with this job was that they were all half-orcs and from what Daedarai could see with Al, it might be difficult to prevent him from killing them. There are 6 half-orcs in total according to the information. Pay is 100gp per Half-Orc successfully apprehended alive, but -200gp per Half-Orc killed. A smooth run would mean a 600gp profit.

The second job was a little more complicated and involved taking a forged ledger from the guild and planting it within a fairly sizable office building within the merchant district. The office has two guards in it at night. The original ledger must be removed. On the same night, the warehouse attached to the business the ledger belongs to must be raided. It contains 3 guards. 8 different specific crates must be successfully stolen. Successful completion of this task pays 1000gp, however, payment becomes null and void if anyone is caught or seen on the night by a guard. Guars must not be killed. If they are incapacitated, it must not look suspicious. Subtle tricks such as spiking their drinks, sneaking by them or using distractions are all acceptable.

The third job involves breaking into one of the mining prisons overnight to extend an offer guild employment to a poison-maker who ran afoul of the law. A volunteer is prepared to swap places with him who you would need to take with you. The mines themselves are hundreds of years old with many old and new entrances and are not particularly difficult to get into, the prisons themselves are on the surface with surrounding walls that are well guarded, however, inside the walls, and the tunnels there are no guards at night.

Prisoners who would normally escape through the tunnels never really have anywhere to go to as the city itself is fairly well guarded and the desert is not possible to cross without significant supplies and survival skills. Further, if you're caught, you're given additional time in the mines on top of your original sentence and are then sent to the more dangerous jobs to work where mines are less stable or gas leaks more common.

This job does not pay conventionally, but whichever senior member can secure his services will gain access to purchase poisons from him at cost, the guild will pay the gap. Much like with the Senior member Perk at the fence, this proposed discount can be used by Daedarai to purchase poisons for others in his cell.
[/sblock]

Daedarai sits down with a sigh in front of his companions. Each job had its pros and cons. Perhaps the party could complete more than one this week? Maybe all of them. "When yer the senior in the field, lives depend on ye. Don’t take that lightly". He sighed again, placing one of his hands on his chin. Those words still echoed with him. Becoming a senior member was GREAT, but the pressure that came with it, well, Daedarai hadn't really expected it given how often he worked alone. Besides this, when he hadn't worked alone in the past, he was NEVER the leader; and last time he worked in a group, things didn't end well...

Shen plonked herself down next to him. "'Sup boss, no need to look so grim! It all went well don't ya think?"

Mina had also arrived at the horse; she saw her companions wave her over as she positioned herself on a seat that kept her back against the wall, with a quick getaway directly to her right in the kitchens. From here she could also see and hear each member of the group as well as the rest of the patrons.

Matthan

Explorer
Daedarai manages a smile towards Shen, “It did go well. I was just lost in thought. Actually, before I forget...” He reaches into a pouch and brings out a small, wrapped parcel. Setting it on the table, he unwraps it to reveal a small wedge of cheese that he proceeds to slide towards the bench-pressing Archibald. “I managed to snag a little bit on the way here. A promise is a promise.”

A quick glance around the room, found it suitably private for discussing events. Turning towards the newest additions, he continues, “Mina and Isaac, welcome to our little partnership. The three of us have only just started working together so I feel like we are all in a similar position of having to learn to trust one another and discover each other's strengths and weaknesses. I had a thought that while we are preparing for the Inner City infiltration, we could work a few odd jobs together to smooth out any wrinkles before we start our real challenge. If you all are open to the idea, there are three jobs that we could fill our evenings with.”

“One seems fairly simple. There is a gang of half-orcs that has been acting outside of guild oversight. The guild would like them to be made an example of by having each turned over to the authorities alive. Alive is key though there is a penalty for any that we kill. The pay is 100 gold per half-orc and a 200 gold penalty for each one that dies.”

“The second is a little more complex. The guild has made arrangements to steal a series of 8 crates from a warehouse while swapping out ledgers to make the business not realize the theft. The catch is that the job has to done perfectly. If anything happens that would raise suspicion, we would forfeit payment. The payment may be worth the trouble though. The guild is offering 1,000 gold.”

“The third is more of an investment opportunity. There is a person skilled in the production of poisons currently imprisoned in the mines. The guild has already arranged a person to take the prisoners place so his departure will be unnoticed. A team is needed to infiltrate and make the swap. There is no payment for the task, but if our team is successful, I will be granted the opportunity to purchase any needed substances from him at cost for the team.”

“Mina, if I may impose upon you, if we attempt any of these, I would ask for you to be observing the group. You have a better understanding of the trappings of nobility than any of us and are in the best position to determine the role best suited for each of us during our time in the Inner City. This situation that Kyle outlined is mysterious and it may take more time in the Inner City than we like to unravel it. If so, we need our covers to last as long as possible. That'll be easier if the covers fit our strengths well. Is that something you would be able to help me with?”

“For everyone, what are your thoughts? I know our days are to be filled with training and preparation for the Inner City, but how should we spend our nights?”

pathfinderq1

First Post
Wherever Mina had disappeared to while the others were shopping and attending to other matters, it couldn't have been all THAT far away- but the woman who rejoined them at the tavern seemed almost like a different person. She had stowed her pack and her bow-case, and her appearance had changed quite a bit- or had it?

The long flowing hair was gone, for starters- now she had only a soft cap of loose black curls; now woman in the noble districts would ever allow herself to be seen with hair that short. And while she still wore a veil, it had dipped so that it only covered her chin- the loosest concession to modesty; a common habit for entertainers and travelers. Some of the clothing that she wore seemed to have changed colors as well- or was it different entirely? With the flute case at her belt, she now appeared to be a bard or entertainer of some sort- not the simple singer found in the roughest taverns, but certainly not suited to a noble festival either. Those native to the city would have seen countless men and women in similar garb in taverns and marketplaces, dancing or singing or telling tales for coin.

For all the changes, it was obvious to most of the group that she was still the same person, though- the wide-eyed look as she surveyed the tavern and the languid grace of her movement as she settled into her seat were clue enough.

[sblock= Proficient in Deception, Disguise kit, or Perception?]
>Most of the changes in her appearance are simple tricks that any clever person might use. Perhaps her hair earlier was a wig? She is not using the advanced elements that true master of disguise might employ, but she is at least a talented amateur at the art. [/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
“Mina, if I may impose upon you, if we attempt any of these, I would ask for you to be observing the group. You have a better understanding of the trappings of nobility than any of us and are in the best position to determine the role best suited for each of us during our time in the Inner City. This situation that Kyle outlined is mysterious and it may take more time in the Inner City than we like to unravel it. If so, we need our covers to last as long as possible. That'll be easier if the covers fit our strengths well. Is that something you would be able to help me with?”

“For everyone, what are your thoughts? I know our days are to be filled with training and preparation for the Inner City, but how should we spend our nights?”

Mina inclined her head in a nod as Daedarai spoke to her. "My observations have already begun, Good Sir, and while I have some ideas already I think that some time spent working together might help to make matters clearer- for all of us. It may be well that we are to pose as foreigners- it grants quite a bit of flexibility in our behaviors, I should say..." While her appearance had changed noticeably, her speech patterns were still a bit formal. "While all of us have been introduced most briefly, it might help to offer our own introductions, in our own words- both in who we are and where our skills lie. If we are to work together, such clarity might be most enlightening. After all, each of us has lived a tale or two- or even more than that, I think, given such an eclectic mix of folk. If it is safe to talk amongst ourselves here, so much the better. Even the simplest of the jobs laid before us will require some degree of cooperation- and for my own part I would vote that we start with the simplest of those missions." She paused and looked around the group once more.

Then she nodded, not quite a bow, but an acknowledgement for one who was seated- first and most deeply to Daedarai, then to Shen. Her musical voice lilted into a short tangle of Elven speech- a formal and courtly welcome. With a nod to Alejandro, she spoke a few words in Gnomish- again, a rather formal (as formal as gnomes ever got) welcome. Lastly, she nodded to Isaac, but her words to him were in Common. "I am sorry that I do not speak the language of your folk, but it seems as if that sort of familiarity might be presumptuous- likewise I shall not presume to call you 'friend' just yet, but I look forward to the opportunity to work with you and earn your favor..."

She swept her gaze around the group, then moved one hand in a low wave, encompassing the larger room. "If it is safe to talk here, we might begin- though for my own part there are certain elements of my tale I would save for a smaller audience. Is there any here who might wish to speak some portion of their story now, or should we wait a bit?"

[sblock= OOC] Are any of the original trio actually injured at this point? If so, is it visible to a fairly keen eye? (Visible bandage, that sort of thing?) [/sblock]

[sblock= OOC 2] I'm fine with people taking the lead in their areas of expertise. That sort of thing seems to work out organically over the course of the game, as players get a feel for the rest of the group- character, writing style, and even posting speed all help build a pretty clear picture (at least most of the time). [/sblock]

[sblock=Bleeding] Yes, Alejandro has a bit of a massive bruise and cut from the hammer guy.[/sblock]

He responds in kind with a formal greeting, pleased to speak Gnomish for the first time in he doesn't know long. He nods at Daederai in thanks for the cheese.

"Well, I'm just a gnome. I'm strong, and I know the city backwards. You want a quick getaway, I'm your gnome. Back routes, that's me. And if you like the opera I can get the best view in the house, so long as your balance is good.

"I know the Undercity just as well - better. And I have explored some of the ruins underneath, but there are many tunnels that I haven't wished to explore alone.

"Archibald here", at the sound of his name the mouse looks up from his cheese feast, whiskers twitching, "is an excellent scout, and I'm gifted in disguise - though not as well as you, m'lady. I have an idea to flush out foes out by pretending to be a Druid, see what these folk make of that - but in the meantime, these half-orcs...

"You should know this."

His cheerful face screws into a scowl of terrifying rage and his fingers curl into a white knuckled fist.

"I don't. Like. Half-orcs."

His features relax, and it's like a cloud has passed over the sun for a brief moment. It is very disconcerting to see his return to smiling as though it never happened.

"So, it depends. This penalty. If we kill them all, do we have to pay the guild, or is it just for free?"

Last edited:

Trogdor1992

First Post
"Given my new friend's disposition towards half-orcs, perhaps we should start with the warehouse job. Not to mention the pay seems pretty decent on that one." He looks over Mina's way, looking a bit distraught. "Only thing you need to know about me is that I'm swift on my feet and my blades are even swifter, just ask the bartender."

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
Daedarai looks sheepish for a moment before speaking up, “You'll have to excuse me. I appear to have a habit of assuming people know more than I've told them. My name is Daedarai and I've been with the guild for most of my life. I've been trained in the skills that you would expect from that. I'm good at not being seen and getting into places that do not want to be gotten into. In a fight, I've always preferred to strike from a distance, but when the situation demands to be up close, I try to make the most of working with an ally. Until now, my role in the guild has not called for many of those talents. Instead, as Kyle shared and Alejandro knows, I forge documents for the guild.”

A pained look crosses his face and he swallows hard before continuing, “I have other roles that I play, but there is one thing that you deserve to know if you're to be working with me. I have failed before and I do not intend to allow that to happen again.” A steely resolve enters his voice as he finishes his pronouncement that continues as he speaks, “The details aren't important at the moment, but due to my position, I was a key part in arranging a large heist for the guild that became compromised and cost many guild members their freedom. Some of you have already found me paranoid about discussing things in public. Trust me when I say that fear is warranted. The FAS are fearsome enemies and their pockets and connections run deep. If we are to be successful in ferreting out whatever secrets they are hiding, we will have to be at the top of our game.”

“Alejandro, I was not aware of your concerns about half-orcs. My apologies. I cannot help but think the contract would be lucrative for us though. Certainly with the talents gathered here, we should be able to separate and overwhelm the half-orcs. Out of curiousity, would it satisfy you if the half-orcs were left alive but maimed? The contract mentions nothing of their physical condition beyond being alive when picked up by the police. To my mind, it seems possible that a lifetime in the mines might be a fate worse than death. Let me be up front though, the money is good for the work, but not if it sets us at odds. If you aren't comfortable with the contract, we should pass on it.”

“Isaac may be right that the warehouse contract is our best option though it does occur to me that the aid of poisons could make both of the other contracts easier. Though some extra gold to better outfit ourselves could make the extraction easier. Shen? Mina? What are your thoughts?”

Remove ads