SCL: Stumbled coming out of the gate or simply fallen on it's face?

Corpsetaker

First Post
Well the game is finally here but I'm afraid it appears to have not gotten a warm welcome.

So far we have a rather painful review of the game here. Link

We have reviews over on Steam that have the positives at 57% and dropping. Link

Here is another review from Game Watcher who gave it a poor rating. Link

Here is a review from PC Gamer who gave it a 55. Link

We have loads of people that are seeking refunds at the moment at an alarming rate.

In my personal opinion, it looks like the game has fallen flat on it's face and it really saddens me because I really wanted this game to be great. Fortunately I did receive my money back so I want to thank them for that, but unfortunately a friend of mine, who didn't listen to me, did not and now has the game.

Well my friend invited me over and since he had the game we figured we would sit down and play the hell out of it to see if there is any kind of dignity we could salvage from the game. Well the full game isn't far off from the head start to be honest.

Here are a few things we noticed:

1: The loading times are awful. You can sometimes sit there for 5 minutes waiting on the game to load.

2: The graphics are abysmal. They look like something from an early 2000's game. There is no excuse for that in this day and age.

3: The interface is very dated as well. It's very reminiscent of early games as well.

4: Manual camera movement is just plain clunky and a pain. The camera should follow your part as you move.

5: Character creation is extremely limited and the portraits are just plain ugly. The weapons all look like they are made from plastic.

6: Every time you click you on something your PC says something which gets really annoying. The only way to stop that is mute everyone.

7: The "fade to black" thing is a nitpick but still a pain.

8: The "Burning Dawn" gear you get is not that great and if you choose the fighter it only comes with a greatsword. I made a two weapon fighter so I couldn't use the greatsword.

9: The landscape is very ugly and bland.

10: The way you get loot is awful. I killed some spiders on the beginning and ended up getting gold and magic items from their bodies.

11: I don't like the skill trees so this is a major turn off for me.

12: Still contains a lot of bugs. I was having the NPC's disappear on me and their voices weren't matching up with the scenes.

13: The DM tools are very limited and to be honest are a joke. You get to change around some pre-generated areas.

14: No orcs, dragons, giants, warlocks, druids, bards, or barbarians in sight.

15: Branded as using 5th edition rules but they are no where in sight.

This whole thing kind of reminds me of the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines and Duke Nuk'em Forever fiasco where we saw one thing leading up to the launch and got something else totally different in the end.

Their cross-multimedia platform isn't starting out on a good foot. It's a shame this is the kind of game we are left with after turning their attention away from the TTRPG. I expected a AAA game, not this mockery.

I'm not sure if SCL will ever get out of this hole because first impressions are always important.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
I am really disappointed. I'm having flashbacks to when Daggerfall was released. I don't mind the interface all that much, but the game keeps crashing. I can't get past the first quest in story mode. It always crashes at the "loading" screen for the High Road. and since you can't save your progress up to that point yet, it's doubly frustrating. The graphics also befuddle me. I can play Neverwinter NIghts II on max resolution no probs. These graphics look worse than NWN, but I have to go low res just to play it. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

CaptainGemini

First Post
This game and Shadowrun Online both were my big disappointments of recent video game development. Both had so much promise. Both did very little with it.

darjr

I crit!
I was so tempted to preorder. As more and more reviews come in I am so very glad I did not. For those of you who took the hit and reviewed it, good and bad reviews, I thank you. Even the good reviews, for me, show that the game is not something I want.

Remove ads