Dark Days in Sion - Act 2: Scene 4

narayan

Explorer
pHj50x8.png

Act 2: Scene 4

Desert%20Tomb.jpg~original

Continent of Akhenaten

Kingdom of Vulkh & Surrounding Region; Year 3500 - 10th day of Mid Spring

< We are using DDS 214 now on rolz.org... please everyone roll up new Fate Pools ​>

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Svexyn, Folg and Mogan

Svexyn:

Svexyn notes the cart nearby and points it out. "I'll take the cart to go with Meynan. Apparently, I will need a better way to haul gear around. Load it with 2 of those small barrels of water, the weeks' worth of feed, two of the tents, the shovel, 2 more filled waterskins, the rope and saddlebags, and I think I'm finally set. Unless you can think of anything else I may have missed, I think this should cover it..."

He pulls out a pouch of 50gp from his pouch, and then adds 5 more gold pieces along with 9 silver pieces. As he hands them over, he then pulls out the small piece of amber, adding it to the payment.

"I trust the quality of this gem to cover the rest of the payment. There should be a few silver pieces extra to compensate for my lack of knowledge in items to get as well as the help in getting the cart rigged up and loaded. I'm sure your time is better served elsewhere, than to fetch items for wayward souls that seem out of place, but your time and efforts are most welcome."

Svexyn then begins moving to assist in getting the two wheeled cart in place. He speaks as he continues working, not one to easily make others do his own work, but also to get a feel for Tamas. His aged eyes seem to hold secrets that Svexyn would like to hear about. Any of those long lost secrets might be the next clue to finding his next step in this journey.

"You see, I figure this was as good a place as any, and maybe even a better place some would say, to seek out adventure, treasure and hopefully a little luck. It seems that there was a fight outside the inn just a little while ago. Guy named Drasus skewered a half-orc with such practiced ease, it was mesmerizing! I figure the body wasn't going to bury itself, and soon enough it would stink up the area as well and wasn't such a pretty sight laying at your inn's front doorway. So, I offered my services to bury the body, claiming scavenging rights if Drasus agreed."

Svexyn finishes placing the cart where it seemed best suited to be pulled out once Meynan was hitched up to it. He then moves to the push cart with his gear, as he begins to transfer the load as he continues his talking.

"So, Drasus agreed, but waived off my offer of payment. Said to meet up with him, buy him a drink, and we'll settle up then."

Svexyn plopped down the two tents into the cart with ease, as he was used to hard work growing up. Though his frame would hint at one not so strong, he easily hefted both tents without straining himself. He shifts the tents over to one side, as he looks to Tamas.

"Drasus seems a bit of a dangerous one, being as though he dispatched of that half-orc so easily. Hopefully settling up with me doesn't mean anything bad. I'm just looking for opportunities to make some coin if things presented themselves. I saw an opportunity, I took a chance."

Moving back to the cart, he gathers the rope and shovel, as he is done with that part of the loading and tosses a copper piece to the stablehand that assisted in gathering the items for Tamas. He places the whistle around his neck, as he then moves to put the last of the push cart items into the newly purchased cart. He seems satisfied with the placement of the items, as he asks, "If you point me to the feed and barrels, I'll get them loaded as well."

He continues talking, as the feed and barrels are located, filled, and then he works on placing them into the cart as he rattles on. "I heard this place was famous for the Quresh in the area. Heard you all were tough as nails and were the real power out here in a hard place this desert seems to be. I was fascinated, and came our here to see for myself. I figure the best way to found out about someone or something is to get off your ass and make the effort to get first hand knowledge. Sure, books can offer you the same information, but I want to be the one writing those things in the books, not reading them. Someone had to see it, or experience it before it could be put into words. So, hopefully I live long enough to honor those that earn it with some immortality and place in history."

Once the feed and barrels are loaded, he turns to Tamas. "You look like you've seen plenty around this area and have many stories to tell. Or, likely you can simply tell me to shut my mouth and keep my nose to my own business. Either way, I won't be offended. Yes, I'm young, adventurous, and maybe naive, but I'm not one to shy from hard work, usually learn quickly enough, and don't mind getting dirty."

He brushes himself off, moving to the stall to work on getting the harness, bit&bridle and leads onto Meynan. "Like this.. I know the basics of a harness and all, but to get it working with the cart, I'm hoping you can show me the right way to get this all done."

He stands to the side, allowing Tamas to step in and show him how this whole harness works with the cart.

[sblock=Purchased Items]Taking the following items
Waterskin x2 = 4gp
Small Barrel with Water x2 = 8gp
1 Week of Feed 5sp
Cart 17gp
Shovel 3gp
Tents x2 = 24gp
Whistle 1sp
Rope 2gp
Mule 12gp
Bit&Bridle 3gp
Saddlebags 5gp

Total comes to 78gp 6sp
Paying with 55gp, 9sp (3sp tip to Tamas) and Small Piece of Amber (23gp)
1cp for Stablehand on gathering items for Tamas][/sblock]

97mg

Explorer
Wrenwil

Wrenwil: The flames of the campfire which gave birth to his dear friend's words, moved to take them back, as Wrenwil reluctantly dropped the parchment into the hungry licking flames.
"Fire gives and heat doth take, Pentos' wish is now our fate," he muttered.
It felt terrible, a burden to have to render to ash his good friend's text, and even worse that the danger was clear. As the words became nothing more than drifting ash, Wrenwil moved to his pack, extracting his copy of "Once a Fine Maiden", and tucking Jarahdrin's seal safely between his two favorite pages. This was no time to dwell on gritty romantic fiction though, he dropped the book straight back in with the rest of his belongings.
"Right. Lets drown that ugly bird of yours, bury the other with respect, and be on our way."
Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...Sion-Part-2-Act-1-Scene-3/page8#ixzz3pd5pz2Ys

Most of Ordechai's rambling went in one ear, and out the next as Wrenwil stared into the campfire. His friend's parchment blackened and floated upwards, tiny fragments of ash, riding turbulence up to the night. The old cleric had no idea if they'd seen his little "sacrifice" into the flames, and to be honest, he didn't really care. Ordechai was gifting the confounded crossbow to the knight, and then he said...

Ordechai: "Don't even bother saying we should move camp. I'm at my wits end and will not budge!"

"Keep your wits about you lads," Wrenwil suggested, briefly moving his gaze from the flames to his friends. "I used to measure my time by decades, perhaps years even. Here, right now, I dare say we live by the minute, hence I shall ask great Pentos what will become of us, how far the blood would flow, should we stay put."

He rummaged through his pack again, withdrawing several sticks of incense which were swiftly lit by the coals and held to the sky.

"My Lord be Pentos great and true,
my offering small and in night blew.
Our friend says stay I shall not budge,
the skies now may bring wing born grudge.
For half one hour if we stay,
grant me knowledge of price to pay."

[Casting Augury, DM to roll secret 74% chance of success. An augury can tell you whether a particular action will bring good or bad results for you in the immediate future. Wrenwil wants to know if remaining at this campsite is safe in the short-term.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Billanverthorne... Ready For Battle

However you do not actually enter the cave before a trap is triggered! A pressure step as you reach the end of the tunnel activates a spring-loaded arm just around the corner. Attached to the end of the arm is a short length of chain affixed with a stone block heavy enough to crush a mans chest with ease. The block is whipped around the corner towards you with great strength!

(Mechanical Trap Attack: = 15)(Location: Right Shoulder, Miss)

Were it not for your armor you would certainly have been seriously wounded. Fortunately the pauldron of your breastplate deflects the force of the stone off of your body so it is not bruised or crushed. Instead the stones force ricochets off you and collides with the stone wall of the tunnel itself with a resounding THUD.

The trap was also designed to soundly alert those inside with bells that immediately start clanging and ringing when triggered .

[Billanverthorne: What do you do?]

As part of a move action, Bill draws his bow, and readies an arrow. He takes a full move back up the tunnel whence he came. (20 feet behind his current position.) For his standard action, he readies a shot (readied action). In true sniper fashion, no tension on the bowstring.The first person to come around the corner with a weapon drawn will possibly be fired upon, unless Bill can think of a good reason not to. [Bill won't shoot a kid, or a town guard. Nor will he fire upon anyone who is unarmed. Otherwise, he'll consider them to be hostile.]

(Initiative roll: 18)

Ersun

Ersun carefully takes the book and inspects it. As he listens to the explanation of it he tries out how to lock and unlock it as well. He can’t help but appreciate the usefulness of such a tool. On the other hand, should the book change hands, they would be oblivious to it, which is a disadvantage compared to some other means.
He wonders how much mayhem he could cause by informing Izel of what has happend to him after their meeting once he left for Vulkh. He wonders if he should. Also, if anything he writes stays in the book, then that’s actually a surprisingly sincere way for Izel to communicate with him, as Ersun’s opinion will remain for sure. Unless he can alter the letters with some kind of spell... that is a possibility. He sighs. It will be better if he also keeps a mundane copy of the journal that is his own.

“So I am logging a travel journal. I like the idea.” he responds after he ponders on in a bit. “A question, are there any other ways are there for me to contact home other than this journal, or come home other than by Thiara?”
Further that, he has no more questions and is curious to meet this surface woman.

Shun001

Explorer
Kryslogious of Anasteria

Standing with his back to the fire and his lord he left him among his business. The three others arguing between themselves about something out of Kryslogious' earshot

Wrenwil whispered, "It is true, I have news. Masaeus is bleeding, Vulkyrie and some hideous winged beast, taking victims by the hundreds, nipping the bud of some rebellion or somesuch unrest. A prisoner has escaped, with help of the rebellion. Perhaps the time has come for a change. You, me, whoever will come with us, will head to Tabba. Alas, that is all can say, for now."

"I hast fought in the crusade f'r Pentos, I believe I am as qualifi'd as they come when it comes to rebellion. I standeth by thee mine lord wholeheartedly in this endeavor." He reassured Wrenwil that his decision lay true within his servant's heart and their path shared.

"Right. Lets drown that ugly bird of yours, bury the other with respect, and be on our way."

"yes mine lord" he replied steadily walking towards the corpse of the Vul, his trudging steps stoppled by Ordechai as he has a large sack slung over his shoulder

Once he's back in his camp Ordechai pauses to lean down on one knee and throw off the blanket covering the masterwork heavy crossbow. The weapon is beautifully made with an ironwood stock and adjustable sights (Provides a +2 attack bonus for aim instead of a +1 when you spend a round aiming in advance)(It is still not fully assembled, DC 12 Craft Weapons check to do so while uncovered)

Ordechai: "Kryslogious, I may not agree that fighting the Vul was necessary, but once you committed to that battle you kept it on the ground and ended it quickly. I've never heard of a Vul defeated in single combat like that before, you fought well! Please accept this crossbow with my thanks."

Kryslogious raised his visor to directly look at Ordechai, with this he got on one knee with his right arm cross over his chest.

"To the one known as Ordechai, I hereby state I may not agree with many aspects of your life and profession you have proven a friend to my Lord and have extended that kindness to a servant such as I. Let it be known should your life be threatened by the evil forces that surround us I, Kryslogious of the town of Anasteria, Knight of Vespasian, Seeker of legendary deeds, shall stand by your side if you wish it. I hereby recognize you as Lord Ordechai"

Upon further inspection it is clearly easy to see that the crossbow is of excellent quality, beautiful engravings across its sides also meant this piece was meant to be displayed as much as used. Though it needs some assembly Kryslogious was pressed with other tasks and set out to drag the Vul corpse to the river. While the camp set to chaos deciding to flee forwards or backwards Kryslogious heeded his task first. After which he returned to the camp with the rest of his companions.

Last edited:

Hillsy7

First Post
Burrai Steelborn

Shrugs. "Kadars opinion of you has always been... complicated. There's no way of knowing his mind in this matter. I expect establishing a rapport with him first will help, but as you say, time is precious. Should he refuse you in any case, I'll be sure to break-wind in his presence as often as I can get away with."

"Glad to know you'll defend my honour with your finest words." Burrai said, and suffered a hearty slap on the arm from a laughing Uthal that would've knocked a smaller man to the ground. "Still, we'd be go back inside before your new comrades think were out here whispering sweet nothings to one another." He led Uthal back inside, feigning the tail end of a conversation about dismembering an orc with just a pair of blacksmiths tongs. Annoyingly, Kadar still wasn't present. Burrai peered outside - was he just imagining the length of the shadows? Surely they couldn't have moved since he'd arrived. ~It's just your nerves fabricating the passage of time. Albeit it's still trickling slowly, grain by grain, into a void~

He took a breath. There was no time to stand still. "Uthal, I still have one brief errand to run. If Kadar returns in the next few minutes, ask him to wait just ten more and I shall return." The big bearded man nodded and Burrai slipped back out into the disappointing sunlight. It took him no time at all to return to Puytuk's Rooms - the crowds had thinned as many were taking their afternoon meals -

Avar had left a message for him, but it wasn't the time and date of a meeting, only that Jabbar was out of town and Burrai should wait for further details. Burrai stood in the common room frowning at the scrap of paper and the harsh angular dwarven runes scrawled across it. Avar had said he expected Jabbar would be back by either nightfall, or first light - but he suspected all Avar had was hearsay and conjecture, knitted into a heavy blanket to cover his drinking and gambling that evening. He read the note once more, tossed it into the fire and made a slow trek back to the Devil's home.

He contemplated his situation, and found only small things had changed. Rol would need to move soon; his Black Networked travelling companion would only tolerate his absence for so long, and Burrai didn't wish to be seen protecting him when they came looking. His main advantage right now was that the Black Network didn't know where he was going, and therefore it was better not to make himself a bigger target by standing next to another dwarf they might be hunting. Which meant throwing money at Kadar; a skilled mercenary leader could smell desperation a mountain away and Burrai would be lucky to keep half his purse. He hoped Kadar had a pale shadow of Omar instinct, but most of his honesty.

Uthal was still there, finishing yet another plate of stew when Burrai entered. "Has Kadar returned?"

Last edited by a moderator:

narayan

Explorer
Svexyn, Tamas

Tamas: Accepts payment with a nod of thanks. "I was young once so your curiosity does not offend me. As you are generous with your coin, so shall I be generous with my words. Most of what outsiders say about my people is half-truth at best. We are villains to some, irreplaceable business partners to others... it all depends on what sort of relationship you have with us. It is probably true we are the most powerful race in this region. It is arguable even that we are the strongest on this continent, but we are not interested in making such claims. We only wish to be left alone to live in peace and seek profitable commerce with our neighbors."

As he speaks he demonstrates the proper way to attach the harness and cart to the Mule.

"Many in this world believe their destiny is controlled by some transcendental entity or law. They see the hand of god hovering above, pulling their strings. I have lived a long life and I say what one man desires, another desires. What one man says is just, another says is unjust. Morality is a superstition. That's the only real truth of this world. The gods above cannot change that anymore than we can, they can only favor those who choose to live by their rules and punish those who don't."

By now all your goods are loaded unto the cart and he pats the mule affectionately a few times on the neck before he shares some final parting words with you.

"Superstition or not, every man should have a code. Take care around Drasus. He's a snake in the skin of a man. He'd strike down his own mother for the right price. If it is work your after, I can say a word to the owner of the Inn? Hey may have a task or two at hand if I recommend you."

[Svexyn: What do you do?]

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Svexyn, Mogan and Folg

Svexyn:

Watching the aged hands easily maneuver the harness and straps, Svexyn can see Tamas is well versed in his trade. He takes note of the lesson, nodding along as he figures things out.

"Many thanks, as your words have given me much to contemplate. Your people's history sounds like one filled with both turmoil and success. One I would like to hear more about, if you wouldn't mind a youngster like me hearing of your tales. I have heard stories, and would like to see which are falsely attributed to your tribe, and which lack the sustenance to hold a candle to the true power and rich history."

~It seems as though my luck might have changed. Tamas has surely learned many secrets and can ferret out the truths I seek and which to ignore. His knowledge would be a boon to my search...~

He adds more, as Tamas' words of destiny ring clear. "Destiny is there, but I too believe that the actions of men can alter that which may be laid out. Otherwise, what's the use in doing anything or making decisions, if it is indeed all at the whim of the gods? We make the choices, not them, in our daily lives."

"As for Drasus, if he's as bad as you say, then why do you all allow him to stay? It seems that he makes some drastic choices, considering his recent fight."

Svexyn wonders what Drasus knows or offers this place to go about his own actions without fear of reprimand or retribution. "Even snakes have their purpose, some say. To what end, I am not sure of for Drasus."

He shakes off the thought, knowing he would have to speak to Drasus soon enough. "If there is work to be had, I would take the chance to offer my services. I am a quick learner, some have said. But I am not sure how long I may be staying either. Your recommendation to the owner would be welcome, as well as the chance to experience the rich history of the Quresh."

Patting Meynan and taking stock of the cart, Svexyn bows to Tamas. "If you could have the stablehand hold onto the cart for a few minutes, I think it's time to settle up with Drasus and be on my way to the camping grounds outside. I should be back shortly to retrieve the gear and settle in for the night. I will check back in the morning, should I not hear back from you this night, regarding any work the owner might have of me."

With that, Svexyn heads back into the inn, finding Tylia and Gedeon. "Tylia, it seems that it's time for that drink for Drasus. He's expecting me by now, and I always settle up my debts."

Turning to Gedeon, he adds, "I am told that an audience with Drasus requires your permission and escort..." as he awaits Gedeon's answer.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases