D&D 5E Halloween Adventure: The Laboratory-Tomb of Dr. Viktor Vampenstein

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Final Update Just in Time for Halloween 2016:

Winston Geistfighter character sheet posted.
See "The Cast" section of the original post.

Tanaka Chris

First Post
Hi quick question, I'm not sure how to calculate the XP.
From what I hear, the more monster players face, the harder the challenge, so there's a multiplier?

So 1 werewolf is 700xp, but 3 would be more?
Also, you've made the mimic "Large", I guess the challenge rating goes up as well?

What's the total xp gain from (successfully) completing the scenario?

From what I hear, the more monster players face, the harder the challenge, so there's a multiplier?

All of this is covered on page 82 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Here's what's behind the numbers:

Dungeon Master's Guide said:
If the encounter includes more than one monster, apply a multiplier to the monsters' total XP. The more monsters there are, the more attack rolls you're making against the characters in a given round, and the more dangerous the encounter becomes. To correctly gauge an encounter's difficulty, multiply the total XP of all the monsters in the encounter by the value given in the Encounter Multipliers table.

So an encounter with three werewolves (x2 threshold multiplier) would be value at 4,200 exp points for determining the threat to the party, but the total experience points awarded would still be the same. This is explained in the next paragraph.

Dungeon Master's Guide said:
This adjusted value is not what the monsters are worth in terms of XP; the adjusted value's only purpose is to help you accurately assess the encounter's difficulty.

So the total experience gained from the scenario doesn't change, only the difficulty changes.

Tanaka Chris

First Post

Also, you've made the mimic "Large", I guess the challenge rating goes up as well?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

What [MENTION=64790]AtomicPope[/MENTION] said. Also, you can probably make the mimic +1 Challenge and the requisite amount of XP and call it good. In the DMG, you can use the stats to recalculate the Challenge base don the increase to hit points and damage output, but I wouldn't bother with all that.

As far as XP for the scenario, do you mean for completing the major quest of staking Vampenstein? I'd give the XP value for a vampire. Anything else is worth what it's worth if the challenge is overcome (be it by combat, social interaction, or exploration). You can also add in some XP bonuses for engaging in exploration or social interaction, though I did try to make those worthwhile on their own.

jrowland

First Post
[MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] You should post this to DMguild if you are of a mind to do so. Especially since Ravenloft is coming soon.

I addition, I would add "Blinded with Science": In the laboratory, if someone comes up with a scientific (or scientific-ish) way to insulate themselves from lightning damage, do the damage anyway but give them a point of inspiration. (love that mechanic...I think every encounter should have a couple of those)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
[MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] You should post this to DMguild if you are of a mind to do so. Especially since Ravenloft is coming soon.

I addition, I would add "Blinded with Science": In the laboratory, if someone comes up with a scientific (or scientific-ish) way to insulate themselves from lightning damage, do the damage anyway but give them a point of inspiration. (love that mechanic...I think every encounter should have a couple of those)

Great ideas, thanks!

lambdse

First Post
No Character Sheets?

Final Update Just in Time for Halloween 2016:

Winston Geistfighter character sheet posted.
See "The Cast" section of the original post.

This one shot sounds so fun! I'd love to see the character sheets you made, but when I click on the names it sends me to an error 404 page instead of the files. :( Could you re-up, please?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
This one shot sounds so fun! I'd love to see the character sheets you made, but when I click on the names it sends me to an error 404 page instead of the files. :( Could you re-up, please?

Thanks for the heads up. The links are fixed. If you play it, please let me know how it goes!

Remove ads