The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Starting D&D (ZombieGleeMax)

Endarire

First Post
NOTE: This thread was originally posted on the Wizards of the Coast forum on November 12, 2003. Its contents are primarily about D&D 3.5, but much of it applies to other D&D editions and other tabletop roleplaying games.

Originally posted by zombiegleemax:

I wanted to post this because I don't think that these boards have a permanent enough place for new players to come, get help, get their questions answered, and, most of all, get started!

If you are a newcomer, this is the best advice that I can give you, and I sincerely hope that you find it helpful. If you still have problems and questions relating to starting D&D, I encourage you to reply to this thread with any questions that you have (that don't apply to any of the other, more specific message boards).

1) Buy the Player's Handbook. As materialistic as it might seem, this is the very first thing you should do if you want to play D&D. Shell out the 25 bucks at any major book store (Barnes & Noble, Borders Books, Waldenbooks) or any craft store (Hobbytown USA, Wizards of the Coast [store], or It's Your Move), you won't regret it. For any questions relating to it and the rules within it, go to this message board: Player's Handbook. It should answer any questions you have.

2) Get the rest of the materials. Some of the things you will include are: a set of Dice (they're cheap, they're durable, and they will allow you to make and play as many characters as you want, along with countless other rolls), pencil and paper, and maybe a map (optional, some Dungeon Masters want to use a map, some don't). Together, these articles cost about 3 dollars. You shouldn't be too strapped for cash. These articles will probably have to be purchased at an actual hobby store, but they aren't TOO hard to find. You shouldn't have a problem. Order them online, if necessary.

3) Now that the buying is out of the way, STAY WHERE YOU ARE. These boards are absolutely the BEST place to get advice on D&D. Period. If you need help, someone here can (and will) give it to you. Why do you think I'm writing this?

4) Learn the rules. Simple. You don't have to be a walking encyclopedia, but you do have to know enough to get by. Make sure you know at least the very basics when you decide to start. If you don't know what "rule zero" is at the start, don't worry about it. You'll learn most of this as you play.

5) Learn the Lingo. You will benefit most from this forum if you understand and use the common terms and anagrams for things. AC, BAB, WotC, SaF, and any number of other terms will crop up on these boards as ways of cutting down on typing time, so you need to know the basics in order to understand what is going on. Again, if you don't know, ask. If you think you need help on this topic, check out Trollbill's Dictionary of Terminology. This is probably the best resource for terminology this side of the planet. Great place for beginners to start.

6) Keep doing what you're doing. You're doing great if you've gotten this far. You're taking advice, and that's going to make you a top-notch player. They're very hard to find these days, and in high demand due to the fact that everyone wants to play with them. You'll have game offers coming outta the wazzoo.

7) Learn the difference between Roleplaying and Rollplaying. This game does have a high amount of chance, and die rolling is very important, but the people everyone wants in their games, the shining example of a player, are those who do what the character they're playing would do. First you have to think up a character concept. Go beyond "I wanna be a great paladin who hits evil in the face." You play a CHARACTER. This means that he/she has CHARACTER. Who you are playing should be like a person, with quirks, fears, ambitions, moods, and such. You should detach yourself when you play and think only of what that person would do. Sometimes this means walking into a trap, or (even worse) doing something that you know can only end in disaster, because it is undoubtedly what your CHARACTER would do.
This also involves thinking creatively and thinking in terms of consequences. You might want to Put the Gnoll sentry to sleep instead of killing him because the others might think he is sleeping at his post, and you will go unnoticed for just a little while longer. Unconventional tactics, etc. are what makes the game fun.

8) Again, ask questions. If you already know about the Player's Handbook, you know that it is 250 pages of solid rules. That's a lot to comprehend. I would suggest asking if you have a problem. Check the book first, but that's not going to answer all of your questions. Eventually you're going to have something to ask that isn't covered (or you can't find) in the rulebook. That's okay. We're here to help. Ask on the right message board, and if you can't get an answer, here is your last resort. Ask me. I'll be glad to help. This isn't an invitation for everyone who has a question but is too lazy to look first to send me private messages. I highly doubt you will have any questions that someone else won't answer, but I will try to help if you do. Click on the Profile link at the bottom of this post, and then follow the link that says, "Send Uberbanshee a private message!" That should connect you to me, and, hopefully, the help you need.

9) If you want to DM (Dungeon Master, or in other words, run the game), you should buy a copy of the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual. I wouldn't buy these if you only plan on being a player. They will teach you all of the DMs and the monsters’ tricks, making play a lot more boring. On the other hand, a DM needs them to survive. Oh, and don't worry about letting someone else DM while you watch, and don't jump right into it without playing a character first. I believe that the best players are those who have at least tried both DMing and playing. The view of the other type of player is a great thing to have, whether you're a DM who has played or a player who has DMed. You'll find the insight invaluable.

10) Finally, if you're ready, find a group. They will teach you all the basics you haven't already picked up, and you can play your first couple of games. You will be on the fast track to becoming an avid gamer, I guarantee it! If you can't find a group, I would suggest going to the RPG Gamer Classifieds If you have trouble finding a group in your physical area, you could try the alternative method of an online game. Wizards of the Coast has it's own site for this at Wizards of the Coast Online Games. You could also try some non official sites such as DnD Online Games Dot Com. Both are great places to play D&D, including dice bots for rolling and other useful resources that allow you to easily play a game over the net that you normally wouldn't be able to. Finally, don't fret if you can't find an experienced group to play with. Build your own from scratch. I did this when first I played, and I believe that it worked out well enough. You might not get the rules perfect the first time, but with the help of this web site and the insights of your group members, you should be able to find the intent of the rules without difficulty.

11) HAVE FUN. This may sound like it's the most obvious piece of advice in the world, but it's one goal that I think everyone needs to keep firmly in mind while they play D&D. Some people lose sight of the fact that D&D is a game, and that everyone should be having fun. This means that whatever you have to do in order to maintain the enjoyment of you and your fellow players, do it. Even if it means bending the rules a little now and then. Even if it means breaking them. This game is designed to follow set rules and story types, but it is first and foremost a means of entertainment. Never let that slip!

12) Jump for joy! You should be able now to play and enjoy D&D. Welcome to a world of heroes, magic, and adventure (sounds cliché, doesn't it? Don't worry, a good DM will remedy that). I welcome you to the world of D&D. Best of luck!

This is the end of my guide to beginning D&D. I hope that it covers most of the things that make D&D such a hard thing to break into. If you don't have any other problems, you should now have all of the basic principles and resources to play this great game!

Any of you veterans out there (or newbies, if you think you have something to add), make sure to tell me if you have anything I should add to this guide!

Banshee

Originally posted by Obsidianjaerc:

Quick amendment to step 10. You can play online too if you cant find a group in Real Life. Just look here...Real D&D Adventures

I just want to add this:

12) For those of you who want to start a whole new group from scratch, meaning all of the players and even the DM are new to the game of D&D, try alternating jobs every once and a while. Don't let each person hog a character class or the role of DM. Variety is the spice of life.

Originally posted by wotc_mel:

This has been a useful post for me to point several people to already. Thanks.

Originally posted by wizard:

You may want to mention play-by-post games for those who live in the middle of nowhere (or the South---same thing, as far as D&D is concerned.)

Originally posted by isida_kep-tukari:

This is indeed very useful. But I would also add a few mundane details.

Where to buy D&D books:

Sometimes shops that sell comics will also sell D&D books. Hobby shops are also good places to look. And of course there are gaming stores as well (often double-billed as comic/collectible stores). Also large bookstore chains carry roleplaying books as well. Call around and ask if they carry Dungeons and Dragons books. If all else fails, use the Internet. Amazon.com, Borders.com, Ebay, and Half.com are all good places to start.

Where to get dice:

Dice are generally not sold at bookstores, so you'll have to buy them at your gaming store. If you can't find them, go online again. Chessex, Koplow, and Crystal Caste all sell dice over the internet. To start you'll need a set with one 20-sided die, one 12-sided die, two 10 sided dice of different colors (or two of the same color, but one marked with 10, 20, 30, etc. instead of 1, 2, 3, this is called a percentile die), one 8-sided die, one 6-sided die, and one 4-sided die.

Some dice come in sets of the seven commended above, and some are sold loose. I'd personally recommend buying 3-4 six-sided dice because these are used in character creation.

Where to find a group:

Aside from the above-mentioned RPG Classifieds, asking at the store where you bought your books (if is is a comic/collectible/hobby store) is a good way to find a group. Sometimes they'll know if someone is looking for a game, or sometimes people play in the store, and you could watch or join in.

Thanks for the advice and the support. I've edited the post enough to accommodate everything that you've suggested, since it is very good advice. I'm just glad to help...I've posted a few times before, and I think people have interpreted some as anger and wrathfulness. I'm Just trying to help.

Originally posted by guru7892:

13. Unconventional tactics should be used when ever possible. Anything that gives you an edge helps. (Even epic characters fighting goblins should take everything seriously.) It may seem stupid but you never know when your DM is trying to trick you.

14. Fighting isn’t the only way to do things. Talking things out and taking prisoners can be helpful and strengthen your party. A lowly goblin could be helpful as a porter and healer.

13. Unconventional tactics should be used when ever possible. Anything that gives you an edge helps. (Even epic characters fighting goblins should take everything seriously.) It may seem stupid but you never know when your DM is trying to trick you.
originally posted by Guru7892

WHAT'S THAT MOTTO ABOUT GOBLINS?

I've heard that before and it really drives me nuts! While the monster manual gives an example of a goblin warrior, that doesn't mean that every goblin follows that path. That's just a quick pick-and-fight solution for low level PCs which makes players consider goblins as totally identical with each other. A DM who tries to trick players by making tough goblin-encounters is just doing it the wrong way, and whoever player takes goblins as an experience boost should check the last kobold-elite opponents on http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20031109a(x) as a taste of other underestimated races as well.

*Bump*
bump.gif

I want to make sure that this is always accessible for new players to read, and so I bumped it.

Thought I'd write this because it would a) bump the article if b isn't an option, and b) be a good idea for the site, helping all of the new players who can't find their way to it in Redgar's. I think that (no ego here, just want to see that there is always a place for beginners) a sticky onto the website might be an excellent way to get people into the game. Somewhere nice and conspicuous, and the people who are intended to read this will.

Banshee

Originally posted by Xorial:

I like what you've said here so much, that I've printed it off. Good advice that I will hand to a couple of newer players that I have. Really think it will be helpful to some older gamers too. I have a couple of friends that haven’t played since 1e. They know just enough to become frustrated. Though I get an evil delight out of surprising them when I casually add character levels to creatures they assume to be weak. MUAAAH HA HA ARRRGGHHH ::COUGH COUGH::.

Any way, I digress. Older players benefit from this too. Rollplay and Roleplay have been mentioned. Sometimes having it come from an outside source is best, when you are trying to stop players from worrying too much about their stats & rolls, rather than the personality and needs of their characters.

bump.gif

Anybody have anything else they'd like to add? I'd love to continue this post. If you have anything you think I might want to add/amend, etc., tell me. Remember that this is general advice for beginners.

Originally posted by baned:

This is a little bit of advice from my own experience as a newbie DM. Don't be afraid to base a campaign on published works.

Change just enough to the meat of it so that if they (the players) play the game/read the book/see the movie/etc., you can still surprise them. I did this with Final Fantasy I (I suggest picking up FF Origins for PSOne if you've never played this gem.) and none of my players had played it.

Doing this with a campaign allows you (the DM) to let the story continuously flow with little interruptions because you're already familiar with it. Not having to build a world of your own with cities, dungeons, citizens, adventures, etc. saves a little bit of time.

Also, unrelated to the previous part of the post, everyone in the group may wish to pitch in some money and order a pound of dice. Crystal Caste has a nice set that I got. It had over 200 dice in for about $27 (including S&H). If you don't want that many dice (who's to blame you), let you and your friends pick out the ones they like, and put the rest on eBay.

Baned said:
This is a little bit of advice from my own experience as a newbie DM. Don't be afraid to base a campaign on published works.

Wonderful!

When I started my own all-female group I did not want to use an existing campaign world (too male-oriented :D), so I started from scratch and created adventures, cultures, dungeons and my own pantheon all by myself.

It worked out quite alright but I could have saved myself a lot of time, trouble and nerves if I had done what Baned suggests. If you start out, you should make sure that you can concentrate on description, rolling dice, and taking up players' ideas instead of having to improvise and trying to make sense of your own storyline. You'll notice that when you describe something to the players they'll always uncover some new aspect you haven't yet thought about. If you have an existent, coherent storyline ready it's a lot easier to be confident in the face of questions like "but why did the ravaging orcs leave the magic sword in the weaponry?"

Even if you don't answer such questions (you never should, directly, by the way), the players'll notice if you get nervous "heck, why did they after all?" It's a different story if you can smile to yourself and think "Because they knew that everyone who takes it out of the dungeon turns into a toad."

Creating your own campaign setting takes a hell-of-a-lot of time and is a lotta work so, for a start, think twice about starting such a huge project. You might be involved for years to come ;)
(It's also a fun, which is why, after six years, I'm still working on my CS.)

Originally posted by thrax:

To all who have posted on this board with advice:

Thank You All. Especily you, UberBanshee. This is an incredible post and a definite essential to any new DM or Player. (Veterans can benefit from it too.) Out of 5 stars, I give it a 6. Hats off to you all.
tipofthehat.gif

Now that that is out of the way, another important rule is to HAVE FUN!!! I have seen to many DMs, old and new, get too wrapped up in making their story be followed to a tee. When this happens, players will begin to see this game as a job instead of fun. I am pointing this out because when i began DM, I would force players down a path. Do not make the same mistake I did. Instead, make your stories around the characters.

(Alright, that is my 2 bits, so please do not flame me if this hint is already up here. Enjoy the game. Once again, nice work on this thread, guys.)

Thrax, you rock!

I think that is possibly the most important thing that I can put on this post. It was just so painfully obvious that I never even thought of it. Thanks a lot!

I will now edit the post to include one more point. Thanks again!

Banshee
angel.gif

An old military saying is, "A plan should never work perfectly. If it works perfectly it’s not a plan--or you’re fighting idiots."

With that said you can NEVER predict every thought a player would make. That’s why you are DM, you always have to go where ever the wind blows the PCs.

Originally posted by sci-d:

One thing I've noticed with some of the newer players into the game is to want the highest level character, the most powerful sword, and a list of the most potent spells at their disposal. To this I advise, don't be afraid of first level. There are no cheat codes for the best weapon. That only attracts the hardest monsters.

It takes time to develop a character, learn the game, and know how to use every item, spell, and ability a mid or high level character has at their disposal. First level characters are more likely to survive a few “oops.” Have fun with the game and don't overburden yourself too soon.

I think I have to mention, because it is the most important thing to the actual playing of D&D and having the fun involved.

MAKE SURE TO FORM A GROUP THAT WANTS TO PLAY.

If you have the problem of setting up D&D but then you can't find enough players for that game, then you should continue to look for new players. It is important that you never stop looking for a source of new players, since they will allow you to continue a game if other players want to leave (it will also keep up a minimum number of party members so that encounters can be easily tailored, and I'm all in favor for less work for the DM).

The only other advice I can give is don't be discouraged.

What the heck do I need to start playing? I'm so confused. Somebody suggested the basic game. But I also saw the starter-set. Say I get one of them, how would I get new adventures to role-play? Online, books...? And what are the tiles they come with? Are they like game boards that you use to role-play on? HELP PLEASE!

What the heck do I need to start playing?
You need the Player's Handbook (PHB), a set of dice, and some friends.

I'm so confused. Somebody suggested the basic game. But I also saw the starter-set.
I don't know what the starter set is, but I do know a board game. Is that what you are talking about?

The board game, which we barely ever remember the existence, is a recent re-editing of the rules, very simplified: you have a dungeon, premade characters, and you run a quick adventure.
The D&D we play is the core rules. It's not really that complicate, but it would help a lot if you knew someone capable of running a game for you, because it would avoid you having to learn all the rules.

Anyway, if you buy the PHB, you'll have to read these chapters:
Chapter 1: character abilities: these abilities define the potential of your character
Chapter 2: races: the races available are presented here: humans, elves (my personal favorites), halflings, half-orcs, dwarves, gnomes, half-elves.
Chapter 3: classes: this is a solid one. For a first adventure, just pick a fighter or a rogue, copy one of the examples given for that class, and off you go. Avoid classes with wacky powers (wizards, druids, monks), because you don't know how to use them yet, or how strong/weak they are.
Chapter 4: skills: You don't have to read it all, but you should at least read the chapter's description (to learn what a skill is, anyway) and the entries for the skills you have chosen.
Chapter 5: Feats: read this chapter the same way you read chapter 4.
Chapter 6: Description: this is where you finish the details: describe what your character looks like, how he behaves, what gods he worships, how old/tall he is, etc.
Chapter 7: equipment: this chapter describes every nonmagical item you'll ever need, from the finely crafted greatsword to the piece of soap. It describes weapons, armor, adventuring gear, alchemical goodies and other stuff.
Chapter 8: combat: this is the chapter you have to read the most carefully, because you'll spend most of your time fighting and the best players live by this chapter. It's ok if you don't understand the rules for sunder,
Chapter 9: adventuring: some things not covered elsewhere, like treasure and overland movement (as opposed to tactical movement, in combat).

The two last chapters talk about magic. If you're still dazzled by your reading, you can go through 2 or 3 gaming sessions without ever having a look at them. However, you'll eventually want to read them to discover more possibilities of the game.

Chapter 10: Magic: this chapter discusses magic. It's full of boring but necessary details.
Chapter 11: Spell List: a list of all the spells. This is by far the longer and the most interesting chapter of all. But it is really long.

Of course, if you want to read from the first page to the last, all the better for you.

Say I get one of them, how would I get new adventures to role-play? Online, books...?
Here, in the very wizards.com site, you have some neat short adventures, which I think are perfect to start because they are ready to use (you just have to read them once, and eventually a second time to take notes) and the foes are always very famous ones: goblins, kobolds, bugbears, evil clerics, and so on. On the first games I ran, all the adventures were printed from there.

To get there, go to the Dungeons and Dragons section (scroll to the top of this page, click "Games", and select "Dungeons and Dragons. From there, in the left frame, click "adventures". There are plenty of adventures, especially for low-level characters, because it's more simple, and often more fun.

And what are the tiles they come with? Are they like game boards that you use to role-play on? HELP PLEASE!
Well, you'll see they don't provide boards to play on. When needed, they provide you a map, but even then you can't use it for combat (it's a wrong scale). That's because the adventure can happen anywhere. For instance, they tell you the players pass through a forest, but they won't provide a map of it, because any forest will do, as long as they face a starving wolf. However, when you get to the bandit's hideout, they will provide a map, and even then you're free to change it anyway you like it.

For combat, you'll have to find yourself a board. What I did, was get an A3 sheet of paper, draw a grid, and adapt it to all combats. For instance, when my players attacked a goblin village, I took tea cups upside down to make the huts, and candies for the goblins (so the players had ate a candy whenever they killed a goblin, but that's another story). What was I saying? Oh, yes, the adventures are ready to play but you'll have to write the maps yourself.

Now, summing my post up:
There's the board game, and the books. The board game is a simplified version of the books, but the rules are not compatible. I'm afraid. If you decide to buy the board game, tell me and I'll tell you more about it. If you go with the books, buy at the very least the Player's Handbook 3.5 and a set of dice.

And very important: Don't hesitate to ask again for help. There will be plenty of people glad to help you.

Hey Anthny2600,

You can get either a starter set (in the starter set a complete adventure is included, as far as I know, and also the dice you need, along with the PHB = Player’s Handbook) or buy the 3 "Core Rules" books (PHB, monster manual & dungeon master's guide) plus dice (most important is the 20-sided one, then six-sided ones).

But! Before you buy all those find at least one other person, better two or three, who'll play with you. D&D is a game you play at a table with other people (I don't know if you already knew, so I'm telling you). You need one DM (Dungeon Master) who is in control of what happens next and has the background info and maps and stuff; and you need one or more players (the ideal number of players is three). Only the DM needs all three Core Rule Books, the players just need the PHB.
The adventures are in magazines (e.g. Dragon) or in books or on the net. You can find them in comic shops, book shops or load some from the Wizards-page.

I never buy any adventures but write them myself: For a dungeon I draw a map, assign numbers to the various rooms, and write down some hazard the adventurers might meet with in there (I find those in the Monster Manual), or some treasure or a clue they could find. Also I add a description to the numbers, so I can read that to the PCs when they enter the room. An extended guide for how to build a dungeon yourself is in the DMG (dungeon master’s guide book).
I hope this helped clear up some of your confusion.

If you need more info, let me know
smile.gif

Greetz, Elaylyssa

The "Starter Set" you mentioned is probably the Miniatures Starter Set. D&D v.3.5 has put quite a bit of emphasis on Miniatures, too much, in my opinion. I have never used miniatures and don't need them: they're just too expensive. I suggest you do what I do: just get some graph paper an map out the areas. It will save you a lot of money, and, unless your players just have no imagination (in which case they shouldn't even be playing in the first place!) it is just as fun. Just make sure you have plenty of pencils with good erasers!

Originally posted by Beleriphon:

What the heck do I need to start playing? I'm so confused. Somebody suggested the basic game. But I also saw the starter-set. Say I get one of them, how would I get new adventures to role-play? Online, books...? And what are the tiles they come with? Are they like game boards that you use to role-play on? HELP PLEASE!
It is easy really. To start you need an imagination. Simple as that. If you could imagine yourself adventuring with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli as they battle Uruk-Hai in Helm's Deep, or if you can imagine yourself fighting evil Nazi hordes with nothing but a bull whip and fedora you can play D&D.

Next you need to get a copy of the rules. This would mean the Player's Handbook (PHB). As a player this essential guide covers all topics from what those weird numbers mean, how to make a character, what each character can do (and how they do it), to an in-depth explanation of what exactly it means in game terms to throw a fireball. Some dice at this stage also help, as has been stated you will need a 20-sider (d20), a 12-sider (d12) 2 10-siders (d10), an 8-sider (d8, noticing a pattern yet?), 3 6-siders (here's a loop: 4d6 = 4-six sided dice), and a 4-sider (d4). These basics are what you need to start off.

Third-didilly (a little Flanderism there ;)), you need some friends. One will need to be the DM (Dungeon Master). Its his (or her) job to create the background and play the other characters, or NPCs (Non-player Characters), for the PCs (Player Characters - that's you) to interact with. Its also his job to adjudicate on the rules. For example you decide to throw a chamber pot through a darkened window, at night, while fighting a thief in your room at the inn. It si the job of the DM to decide how hard this is and inform of you of that.

Finally, the single best thing you can do or get to start playing D&D is a final whopping helping of imagination. The more of this you can muster the more fun you will have.

Originally posted by killerrabbit_dup:

I would like to say that as a 1st-time D&Der this was incredibly useful.
Kudos to Uberbanshee.
*stumbles around and
bump.gif
s into a table*

Originally posted by gilean_dup:

Changing the link from PHB forums to somewhere else might be a good idea. [Excellent suggestion. Will do. –Regdar]

If you want to play D&D, don't be afraid to start with other RPGs. First, after playing them you could persuade them to switch to D&D. If that doesn't succeed, play the other games and be happy with it.

Originally posted by violettempest:

Thanks for all this good advice. I have used pretty much all of it. I started a new group (2 of us are old timers and 2 we took to the bookstore to buy their first DnD books).

I am learning to DM, so I started out running modules out of Dungeon. Now I am ready to make my own campaign. Tricky stuff. I set up a half dozen first adventures to keep them busy while I work on writing my campaign. Now we're getting into the swing of things, and my biggest problem has turned into my biggest asset storywise.

They wanted to play higher level characters that advanced quickly - duh, what newbie doesn't want to get their hands on the "good stuff". So, since our group is small I let them play Gestalt characters, and they're having a ball. The "big problem" is obvious...they're plowing through everything and advancing too quickly. In trying to figure out how to slow them down I came up with my solution. We have this big complicated back story about where we come from....so this week at game I told them, "Ok guys, don't level up this time...write up your characters at first level..." Before I could say more they got all excited and guessed correctly that we are gonna play our back story intermittently with our current story.

Now we won't plow through my campaign sooo quickly, making me pull out the pit fiend way before I am ready...and they are now shockingly EXCITED to play 1st level characters. I am hoping this will help turn my game from rollplay into more roleplay as they are excited to see who they were and how they became who they are today. (as a bonus the backstory will give me threads like old enemies to ressurect in the future timeline).:D

Originally posted by Moop5872:

violettempest wrote:this week at game I told them, "Ok guys, don't level up this time...write up your characters at first level..." Before I could say more they got all excited and guessed correctly that we are gonna play our back story intermittently with our current story.
I just want to say that this is genius. A great way to get the players immersed in the world and story.

Originally posted by ihavenoideawhat...:

I have a question about starting packages in 3.5. Are the skills they provide instead of or on top of the skills chosen by myself?

Originally posted by StevenO:

ihavenoideawhattoputasascreenname wrote:I have a question about starting packages in 3.5. Are the skills they provide instead of or on top of the skills chosen by myself?
Wasn't this also asked in the main Previous Editions sections?

The "skill packages" you may see for 3.5 characters are representing how those characters choose to spend their starting skill points. To use your terms you use them INSTEAD of choosing skills yourself; someone else has just made the choices instead.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases